Small white spots around vagina like strawberry seeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, not swollen or any other symptoms not red either, just small white seed-like spots around vagina, where's no-hair area. Just 3-4 like filled with soft cheese inside of them but skin around them is healthy pink colour, nothing around eyes or nose, moth, no hair loss, rabbit looks healthy and eats/poops/acts like normal.
Googled rabbit syphilis, doesn't look like it or can it be just a very early stage?
Googled images for rabbit vent deceases nothing looks like this.
Would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction, many thanks in advance

Last edited:
That's too bad, I just noticed them a few hours ago and checked other rabbits, two freshly bonded girls have them, Bernie 1year 7 months old and her daughter Harley 8 months old. They are just bonded a few days ago and have similar pimples, they both look very healthy and are very clean girls and all indoor. I have more rabbits they are all indoor 100%, just one new rabbit I adopted 2 weeks ago he was very sick with bloating we cured it now he's all good they have no contact with him but maybe through brushes and my clothes. I've checked him he was quite clean rabbit only I cleaned his scent glands but nothing suspicious and there's only very few spots on each, Bernie already licked them off I will check everybody now if other rabbits have any symptoms.

I won't be able to get to a vet in the next couple days everything's closed but going to do some reading, thank you for the links.

Worst thing that I brushed more rabbits with the same brush and maybe they also have it through my clothes etc. Horrible news.

Now, how fast it can spread and what can I do now before going to vets? What do I use to disinfect everything?

I thought what can it be and what was changed recently, only I use different wood pellets this week ordered from another store as where I usually buy were sold out before Christmas. And these pellets are a bit different, and I don't like them, too much dust and smell I won't buy them again. I thought, could it be kind of allergic reaction from them?

I took a few photo ot the spots will try to upload from my camera now, here are my girls Bernie and Harley. This yellow toilet is an extra, they have their regular bigger litter box with wood pellets on the left side

p1080333-jpg.44533

You could try different wood pellets. It's possible they could be having a reaction to them.

As long as they seem to be doing alright otherwise, I would maybe just try different wood pellets and keep their environment as clean as possible, until you can talk to your vet. It may be your vet will want to try them on a course of baytril to try and clear it up. If your vet does opt to try baytril, I would suggest making sure they do the once a day higher dosage, as it has been shown to be more effective in rabbits than twice a day lower dose.

Can she get it from cardboard, think it is possible as they don't go outside and don't have contacts with other rabbits

You could try different wood pellets. It's possible they could be having a reaction to them.

As long as they seem to be doing alright otherwise, I would maybe just try different wood pellets and keep their environment as clean as possible, until you can talk to your vet.
It is everything closed now but I have some spare recycled paper pellets I will change their litter box right now.

Here are a few photo I took a couple hours ago, Harley is harlequin grey&orange very pretty girl and Bernie is broken cream. They were absolutely same things just Bernie licked them off when I checked in about an hour. I just cleaned them with water without putting any pressure on them.
Not posting full size this time but you can click to see larger image

P1080349.JPG P1080373.JPG

No. It's bacteria, so can be spread through contact with an affected rabbit. One rabbit can be an asymptomatic carrier(has the bacteria but doesn't show clinical signs of disease) and can then spread it to other rabbits. So it could be the mom had it and passed it to her daughter when she was born. That's a pretty common way it occurs.

From what I know this may just be that one area that is affected and may even clear up on it's own. With pustules that have been opened/popped, I would maybe consider trying a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment(no added pain relief) if I could distract the rabbit from immediately grooming it off(feed or let play after applying). It may help with the infection and I've never had it affect a rabbit adversely from it's use. But I would still talk to my vet about it when they become available.

Bernie is mother and I have her since March she never showed any signs and I know my rabbits well. Harley is her daughter but they were separated at 5 months as Bernie was too bossy, now I've decided to bond them for ever and they did great just 2-3 days so basically Harley is 8 months and I've checked kits 200 times as wasn't sure boys or girls I'd notice if there were spots, this is first time never before. I am checking my rabbits regularly I've checked father as well, he's all clean., penis as well.

Could you give me an example of this antibiotic ointment so I can google the name, thanks again for your advice

Right, so.
Separated Bernie into her own nice cage. Gently cleaned affected area with salt water. There are no more pustules she probably opened them already, a few reddish spots left now so I made a compress for a couple minutes. Harley still have pustules so I think that Bernie was first, or maybe she just cleaned herself more carefully it is hard to say now, I will watch them both.
Cleaned and disinfected Harley's cage very well.
Disinfected all walls and toys as well, will add a new layer of cardboard tomorrow she loved it this was from floor to top she re-designed it beautifully.
I've added an extra layer of hay on top of her toilet to avoid contact with wood pellets just in case it was allergic reaction, she's not a digger and she mainly uses her toilet box as her bed and goes mainly into a small yellow box there's no contact with wood pellets at all.

I did some research on staphylococcus treatment at home, 5% white vinegar is recommended for killing it, also rubbing alcohol there was an article about it but I can't open it for GDPR EU data protection would be curious if someone could copy&past it here https://www.winonadailynews.com/new...cle_7bc21024-3029-11e2-b509-001a4bcf887a.html
Not that important just feel a bit more confident after reading more material.

This is Harley munchin on celery stick :)

P1080406.JPG

P1080413.JPG

Update.

No antibiotics were used the spots just disappeared in a week or so, no other spots or unhealthy looking skin on their bodies and overall my buns are looking super healthy and happy. I was thinking where could they get staphylococcus if they are living indoors in a clean environment and had no contact with other rabbits from outside of my home.

Also if it was staphylococcus I have more rabbits and use same brushes and other grooming stuff for all I was horrified to think that they all can get sick because if it was staphylococcus it is very contagious but none of my other rabbits ever showed any symptoms and I was so scared I keep checking regularly, those spots just went away and never came back. I was lucky it was 31st December and I didn't get to the vets saved me lots of money.

Latest posts

Back