small poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jujub793

Reaction score
i have a new dwarf/mimi lop that was a rescue by me and i notice that his poops are small. He is appx 1 1/2 years old and i notice he does not eat much hay (currently orchard grass) or is not especially fond of fresh greens either. i don't think his previous owners fed him anything fresh and cheap pellets. could this change in diet cause the small poops and the fact he does not eat much hay? he otherwise seems healthy and active. :?

He may have been used to eating just pellets.
Try to get a really good quality hay and reduce the pellets fed so he will be more apt to eat hay.
Most rabbit do like greens :?
There is the possibility in that type of breed for dental issues , however, we won't go that direction yet.

Work with reduing pellets to increase his hunger for hay and keep us updated.

he will eat the greens but its like not a priority. my rex rabbit will break the sound barrier to get to her salad lol, and he just likes to "savor" his.... my rex is only 2 months old and her poops are normal sized... i will try cutting back on the pellets with him.

I misseda portion of your first post ; the small poops could be an indication of beginning stasis so you want to try to increase fluid intake .

I often add a small amount of apple juice to a crock of their water to make my rabbits drink more.

Small poops often occur when there is not enough fiber in the diet or when the bun is beginning to go into stasis
Cutting down on pellets so that he will be hungrier for hay is a good idea. Also you canleave the greens wet for more fluids.

If he is new and may have health concerns I would get him to a vet for an initial check-up. So much of watching your rabbit's health is looking at what has changed from the normal, and with a new bunny you don't know what is normal yet. I also like new bunnies to be seen by a vet so you can get a first opinion on any problems they might be coming to you with, and to make sure they're not carrying parasites--external or internal. GI parasites could definitely make his poop different. An annual exam is essential for bunnies and I like to start that with new ones as soon as I get them.

Since you don't know about his habits, the small poos could be somewhat normal, but they might not be. The stress of moving to a new environment can cause stasis too.

Add some pedialyte to his diet for sure, a nice bowl full of it in a fruity flavor or unflavored with a drop of grenadine works well, and some probiotic, if you don't have the funds for a vet right now. That should improve the poops, but if it doesn't this becomes a vet-only situation.

Push the hay as much as you can (you can also spritz the hay with a bit of apple jiuce and water to entice them to eat it, just don't allow it to lay around long as it will mold, which is toxic to buns).

Try different greens with just washed with water greens, that will help w/ the gut a bit. But watch it. Some good starting ones are parsley, cilantro andbean sprouts. Just a little bit to start with and only start w/ one kind and see how the bun digests it, make sure no soft poos arise. Then you can feed more of that veggie. You can then moven on to a new one doing the same thing.:)

thanks, i have tried giving less pellets and pushing the hay more. i have an appointment for him at the vets this friday, he is going in to be neutered and i will have the vet check him over real good to be sure he does't have any parasites etc . My bunny that just passed away not long ago (lily) had parasites and i didn't know it until she was dying and they started to "abandon ship" when she was pooping. i will be going to the grocery store and will pick up the apple juice and the pedialite.

Latest posts

Back