Small piece of hay under eyelid

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny had a piece of hay in her eye and I checked her again after 20 minutes, it's now under her eyelid. It's easy to see so I could try to get it out myself but don't have any saline solution the only thing I can do is boil some water let it cool and use a cotton pad to get it out. If I leave it will it make its way out or do I need to take her to the vet tomorrow morning?

If gently flushing with sterile water doesn't get it out, you could try getting some plain sterile saline eye drops in the morning and try those. But if you aren't successful, yes, I would suggest getting your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet.

Something else to consider, is if the hay is very abrasive, the longer it's stuck in the eye the greater chance it could scratch the cornea, which could result in a corneal ulcer. So if you don't end up needing to go to the vet to remove the piece of hay, still check the eye regularly for any signs of continued irritation and/or any white clouding starting on the cornea, and get your bun seen by the vet if there are any problems or concerns.

Medirabbit: corneal abrasion and ulcer

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/

If gently flushing with sterile water doesn't get it out, you could try getting some plain sterile saline eye drops in the morning and try those. But if you aren't successful, yes, I would suggest getting your bun seen by an experienced rabbit vet.

Something else to consider, is if the hay is very abrasive, the longer it's stuck in the eye the greater chance it could scratch the cornea, which could result in a corneal ulcer. So if you don't end up needing to go to the vet to remove the piece of hay, still check the eye regularly for any signs of continued irritation and/or any white clouding starting on the cornea, and get your bun seen by the vet if there are any problems or concerns.

Medirabbit: corneal abrasion and ulcer

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
Thank you. I managed to get it out yesterday with water and she seems ok.

Latest posts

Back