Small Litters/Who's the issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvender

Reaction score
Hello! I'm looking for some advice. I have a buck and two doe californians. My buck is about 8 month. One does is almost the same age and then one is a year and a half/proven. My younger doe had one baby the last time I bread her and she ate it. That time I had only bread the younger doe and it was her first litter. Since then I bread my older doe and my younger doe to the same buck at the same time in case issue came about. Since then my older doe has had one kit. The other has had none yet and is almost 5 days past due. I had three successful fall offs with both in the morning and then again in the evening when I bread them. They eat well with pellets, hay, and occasional oats. Plenty of water all the time. Is the issue with the weather conditions? Is my buck just young? Do I need a good proven buck? I only have the one buck rn because I am still new to this and didn't want to do to much at once. I'm just not sure what the issue is with these almost non existent litter counts. What should I do?

Being in Texas also, we found that heat plays a role in a buck’s fertility, especially if the rabbits are outside. Very soon it will be too hot to breed them unless you have them in a climate controlled area.

Also, when we used one buck to breed to two does we typically tried to spread it out a bit. If you breed him too much in a short time then the chances of a successful pregnancy can go down.

Latest posts

Back