Small irregular poops but Alf gaining weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
So Alf has his molars trimmed every 8 weeks. 3 visits ago the practice changed its anesthetic protocol to include dexdomitor so they would be exposed to less isoflurane.
From that appointment onwards Alf has had a very difficult recovery. They are the only vets within an hours drive who will see rabbits. Second last visit Alf had a full blow g.i. stasis 5 days after dentistry, and they nearly lost him. Also they placed the I.v. incorrectly and he nearly lost his leg to thrombosis.
Last Monday he had his dentistry again, I was so worried. He has still not recovered. His poops are small and hard. He is maintaining a good weight but, to us, it seems like hes not the least bit interested in eating. He does finally eat his kibbles overnight he hardly ever seems to be eating hay.. Last night I took him to the vet for a check up. I was made to feel like a nut job because nothing seemed to be wrong, yet his poops are still less frequent and small and hard. Isn't that a problem? What do you do if his poops are "not correct" yet he is holding a good weight. The vet said to feed critical care and continue the gi meds until his poops were "the way I wanted them". This morning he fought the feeding seriously, it's making his life a misery but I am worried about gi stasis? Sorry for the long post, I am so worried.

Maybe try some more foods. Keep going on meds and CC. Try and feed him hay and maybe some more -fiberous pellets? if you don't already have them. I Recommend the ones from Peavy Mart. Big bag. Low price,and will have them for your whole rabbits life. for 21$ never have to buy them again. hope that helps

If he's not eating his normal amounts of food/isn't eating hay, that's why the fecal poop has become small and hard, He's not getting as much fiber due to lack of hay eating. How's his drinking? If he's not drinking as much, that can also contribute.

You do need to keep up with regular syringe feeds even if he doesn't like it, as this will help keep his food levels up, keep the gut moving more normally, and help keep him hydrated. If you feed a good quality pellet, an alternative to syringe feeding might be to increase pellet amounts, but only if he is actually eating them well, and is drinking water well. You could also try his pellets soaked in warm water and made into a pellet mush, to see if he's more inclined to eat soft pellets. Though if you do this, they need to be made up fresh and not left out too long to prevent bacteria and mold growth.

I am syringe feeding as his vet instructed and he eats his Oxbow pellets. He seems to have turned a corner today, eating hay, gaining weight but still his poops are half the normal size?.?? We cant figure it out. I've been talking to his vet until she is fed up with me. I re ad everything on the internet. If hes gaining weight then he's eating enough right? So why the small poops. Hes always had fairly large poops, the ones hes doing now are what I would call "normal" sized. Thanks for you response, I agree we with all you've said.

With him starting to eat hay today, over the day and next, you should see the poops become more normal as the hay eating increases and the fiber gets moved through the digestive tract. The gaining weight could have been water weight and not actual body weight increase. That's all I can think of that might explain that.

Latest posts

Back