Small growth on mini-lops eyeball

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First of all I just discovered this on Beau's eyeball this AM and I'm sure it has not been there long because I would have noticed and I am definitely taking him to the vet . It looks like a small whitehead right on his eyeball or a very verysmall protruding blister. Does anyone know what this ? I can't post a picture.

Hi naturestee..I just looked at those pictures and then went and looked at him again..it is definitely on the lower part of the eyeball and doesn't look like any of the pictures as it protrudes like a little pimple and is not spread out atall. It doesn't seem to bother him at all and it is just in the lower portion of his brown eye not real noticeable no film around it or anything. This rabbit is only about 2 years old but does have peg teeth that I have to becut frequently as they grow like a mustache and has been treated in the pastfor a mouth infection (from getting hay stuck in his teeth? not sure). I bought this little guy from a horrible pet shop and after the teeth problems occurred I thought that he wasn't well-bred. Well..I don't think that its a corneal ulcer....any other diseases that you could think of that would have a symptom like this? (I've been reading your health references..can a rabbit get an abscess in its eye?) Tell me what you think even if its terrible.

:)Well I got into the vet this AM. He looked at his eyes and I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the growth on Beau's eye is an overgrowth of inflammatory tissue caused by?. The vet said that he never saw this in a rabbit but very frequently in cats. The vet numbed the eyeball and took a small scraping of the tissue on the eye which he examined under a microscope. He is giving me cortisone eyedrops for two weeks and the tissue shlould dissolve. It is not serious. The bad news is that he could see the beginning of verysmall cataracts in both Beaus's eyes right in the center of the eyeball. He said this is probably genetic (Beau is less than 2 yrs old). I was concerned about blindness but the vet didn't think that I should be concerned at this point. This is the same bunny that has bizarre peg teeth..I think that he was not bred well. Anyway my little guy is home now and doing just fine so I am relieved that I got into the vet so fast.

Hi naturestee...he numbed his eyeball before he scraped. Beau didn't feel it. The vet told me to keep him in the carrier for about 4 hours after I got home as Beau couldn't run into things and not know to blink because his eye was numb so I did that.

Latest posts

Back