Small, dry poops .

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
Alf did great all winter. He gained some weight and had amazing energy. About a month ago he had an appt for a routine dental, no problems his vet just likes to see him every 12 weeks. Well the weather here was crazy snowy slick so I prosponed his check up for 4 weeks, the earliest I could get.
Naturally, a week later, he stared eating less hay. He still eats his 1 tbsp pellets twice a day, in fact is eager for them.
This is the problem- his poops have gone done slowly, in size to very small dry pea sized from large wet ones just a week ago. There are no "good" ones anymore. The weight of his poops per day has also gone down to about half. Yes we weigh them. Fyi - he normally produces 40- 44 grams poop per day. The number of poops has remained constant at 300- 325 or day- weight 30 grams a day.
On top of that we weigh Alfie, normally once a week but lately every morning. His weight has increased slightly and remains good? I think it's the pellets that he's living on? How else could his weight stay the same?
Last night I gave him some of his Sherwoods Rescue electrolytes, I think he's dehydrated. Oh yes he's an angora and probably full of hair. I brush him but that causes him to groom like crazy. We dont see alot of hair in his poops?
I've read all the posts , is there anything else? Thanks! I can always see his vet on an emerg visit.

We call these the Alfie files. I have a notebook page for everyday since his first g.i.mobility emergency. Weights, poops and anything else. Over parenting I know but it's better to look back and see what's been going on.
20210311_073833.jpg

Alf did great all winter. He gained some weight and had amazing energy. About a month ago he had an appt for a routine dental, no problems his vet just likes to see him every 12 weeks. Well the weather here was crazy snowy slick so I prosponed his check up for 4 weeks, the earliest I could get.
Naturally, a week later, he stared eating less hay. He still eats his 1 tbsp pellets twice a day, in fact is eager for them.
This is the problem- his poops have gone done slowly, in size to very small dry pea sized from large wet ones just a week ago. There are no "good" ones anymore. The weight of his poops per day has also gone down to about half. Yes we weigh them. Fyi - he normally produces 40- 44 grams poop per day. The number of poops has remained constant at 300- 325 or day- weight 30 grams a day.
On top of that we weigh Alfie, normally once a week but lately every morning. His weight has increased slightly and remains good? I think it's the pellets that he's living on? How else could his weight stay the same?
Last night I gave him some of his Sherwoods Rescue electrolytes, I think he's dehydrated. Oh yes he's an angora and probably full of hair. I brush him but that causes him to groom like crazy. We dont see alot of hair in his poops?
I've read all the posts , is there anything else? Thanks! I can always see his vet on an emerg visit.

Has he had the dental you postponed? Not eating enough hay will definitely affect poop.

No they postponed to March 29th. His vet is great but the practice is so busy. There are 7 vets, all exotic. Never fails, he's doing fantastic, we have to postpone then he starts losing his appetite for hay 2 days later. But his weight has stayed the same (or gone up!)and he nibbles hay and eats all his pellets. Thats why we have waited. It's just his poops have gotten about 50% smaller, so his output is 50% less. Also his vet is open 24 hours so they are always available in an emergency. Thinking about going today if he doesnt turn around. Also he's eating hay right now, he's so up and down. Ate all his pellets this am, weight unchanged.

No they postponed to March 29th. His vet is great but the practice is so busy. There are 7 vets, all exotic. Never fails, he's doing fantastic, we have to postpone then he starts losing his appetite for hay 2 days later. But his weight has stayed the same (or gone up!)and he nibbles hay and eats all his pellets. Thats why we have waited. It's just his poops have gotten about 50% smaller, so his output is 50% less. Also his vet is open 24 hours so they are always available in an emergency. Thinking about going today if he doesnt turn around. Also he's eating hay right now, he's so up and down. Ate all his pellets this am, weight unchanged.
It's quite possible his mouth is hurting. There is no way I would wait in these circumstances, I would find a different vet even if it was a longer trip. Can't understand how a rabbit vet could possibly think it is OK to wait several weeks.

Sorry the appointment was a regular dental trim we book every 12 weeks. I said they postponed (my mistake) - we postponed. I had to cancel the appointment, at that time he was doing best ever in two years. I should have asked some else to take him. I thought he could go another 4 weeks, wrong move. There are no other vets in our area I trust. Most of our vets around here wont look at rabbits. This vet has been managing his dental problems for two years. I hear you and will make an emergency appt tonight.

If it's just hay he's having a problem with but can eat pellets fine, you could try a plain grass hay pellet to help increase his fiber. They're just plain hay compressed into large size pellets, though do check the ingredient label to make sure nothing else has been added. Usually timothy is the most available one, though orchard might be a possibility as well. If he'll eat them then that could help tide you over until his appointment. Farm stores usually have them. You may be able to get them online as well.

https://standleeforage.com/products/premium-orchard-grass-pellets
It might also be possible to use a coffee grinder to grind up his current hay. Though if you do, make sure it's a rough grind. Too small of a grind can actually sometimes increase digestive issues. Or instead of hay pellets, Sherwood has a free choice timothy pellet that might work. If he is now or starts having problems eating pellets too, soaking them in warm water can help make them easier to eat.

If this hasn't ever been mentioned in the past and it's not something you are currently feeding, it might be worth giving orchard grass hay a try when he's had his dental and is back eating normal hay again. Orchard is high in silica, which is the abrasive content in hay that helps wear down their teeth. I know of one rabbit owner who's rabbit had to have dentals every 8 weeks, she switched to orchard hay and her rabbit was able to go a year before needing another dental.

I'm actually at the vet right now. Sitting in the car waiting for Alf. No blockage, the did an xray. Saw decal balls in his intestines so that's good. Not dehydrated( I was feeding Critical care this am) couldn't visualize his teeth too well during an exam but suspects thats it. Motility drugs and metacam. For a week then reassess. Non openings for pushing up his dental unfortunately unless it becomes an emerg. Thanks for the orchard grass advise, good. I'll get some. Thanks for all your advice, this site never fails.

Attachments

• 20210113_084346.jpg
    20210113_084346.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1
Are you feeding him any greens??? Dark leafy greens? Two reasons I find rabbits have small poops...1) stress. If there's been anything in their daily routine that has changed it stresses them out resulting in little dry poops. 2) they're constipated/dehydrated. More greens and more water. 2 lbs of dry food a day seems very little if they aren't getting greens as well.

Thanks for your reply. Well he gets free choice hay. In fact we feed 4 kinds of Oxbow hay plus our own hay when its suitable. He only weighs 2.6 pounds so I've been told that 2 tbsp of pellets is correct. He does get dark green leafy veg. And herbs. He loves dill! And coriander too. I think he has a tooth problem. I looked back through my notes. Everytime he slows down his hay eating he ends up with a tooth issue /abscess. His dentistry is in three weeks and they have no openings before that. I could try to find a different rabbit vet sooner but it scares me to change vets. His vets are the best. Well play it day by day.
If it's just hay he's having a problem with but can eat pellets fine, you could try a plain grass hay pellet to help increase his fiber. They're just plain hay compressed into large size pellets, though do check the ingredient label to make sure nothing else has been added. Usually timothy is the most available one, though orchard might be a possibility as well. If he'll eat them then that could help tide you over until his appointment. Farm stores usually have them. You may be able to get them online as well.

https://standleeforage.com/products/premium-orchard-grass-pellets
It might also be possible to use a coffee grinder to grind up his current hay. Though if you do, make sure it's a rough grind. Too small of a grind can actually sometimes increase digestive issues. Or instead of hay pellets, Sherwood has a free choice timothy pellet that might work. If he is now or starts having problems eating pellets too, soaking them in warm water can help make them easier to eat.

If this hasn't ever been mentioned in the past and it's not something you are currently feeding, it might be worth giving orchard grass hay a try when he's had his dental and is back eating normal hay again. Orchard is high in silica, which is the abrasive content in hay that helps wear down their teeth. I know of one rabbit owner who's rabbit had to have dentals every 8 weeks, she switched to orchard hay and her rabbit was able to go a year before needing another dental.
We did get orchard grass hay today. It was in a pack with three bags of different Oxbow hay. Orchard grass, Oat and Botanical hay. A good savings over buying them separately.

Latest posts

Back