Small, dark and hard poops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugill12

Reaction score
Hello everyone. On Sunday I had to buy a different brand of Timothy hay because my local store didn’t have what I normally get. By Monday, I noticed my bunny had started to produce small, hard and dark poops. I thought it was maybe the hay because she didn’t seem to like it so I took it back and got a different brand that I occasionally buy for her because my store is always out of everything. She seems to be eating this new hay a lot better but her poops haven’t gone back to normal. She’s eating, drinking, and getting around like normal. I attached a picture of her poops from last week compared to this week. Should I go to the vet?

Attachments

• A822AE31-5BB8-4667-AE10-D09417730DF5.jpeg
    A822AE31-5BB8-4667-AE10-D09417730DF5.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 6
If she is still eating the hay, accepting treats, drinking water, and playing around I’d say just monitor her poops for the time being.

How long has she been eating the new bag of hay and is she eating at least a pile the size of her body per day? Is she eating all of her other food normally?

How long has she been eating the new bag of hay and is she eating at least a pile the size of her body per day? Is she eating all of her other food normally?
She has been eating the new hay since yesterday. The one I bought that she didn’t like, she was on for about 3 days. She eats a lot of hay and I always make sure she has some available to her. She has been eating her pellets and greens normally!

It could just be her digestion is catching up to eating the most recent bag of hay. If she's eating the hay well, her poops should start reflecting that, probably by today. If they don't and they're staying a bit smaller and darker than they used to be, one thing that can causes changes in poop even though a rabbit is eating it well, is a change in the crop cut of hay(what growth stage it's cut and baled). Less mature leafier hay can cause slightly smaller darker poops because it's higher in protein and has less indigestible fiber than a more mature stalkier hay. It's the hard stems that have the most indigestible fiber in them, and that's what increases poop size and motility the most.

Another thing that could affect the poop size and color, is an increase in high carb/sugary treats.

Latest posts

Back