Slight pain still after surgery?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartlea

Reaction score
Hi! My rabbit had hernia surgery one week ago today. He has an amazing appetite, and wants to play. However, yesterday I tried to go 100% without any pain meds..and I feel that he was still kind of sore. So, I went ahead and gave him some more metacam (not a full dose though). I’m worried about it... I feel that I should just be patient... I imagine that if I had hernia surgery I would still be feeling some pain too!
The closest thing I can imagine to hernia surgery is a spay... I saw where someone said their bunny took a week and a half to feel completely normal and another said they thought it took about three weeks!!!
He normally likes to lay out when lounging, but yesterday he mostly did the “meatloaf”. He was sleeping I know for some of the time...but I just don’t like the thought of him having any sort of discomfort. This rabbit is giving me so much anxiety... rationally I feel that if he’s still eating/drinking/eliminating regularily and having interest in “playing” that is a good thing. I guess I’m just looking for some reassurance that sometimes rabbits need a little time to be back 100%. Thanks!

The last rabbit I had spayed was back to normal after 4 days. How long a rabbit takes to get back to normal can vary. One vet told me that he does not like to give pain meds unless there is a lot pain. The reason he gave was that if a rabbit feels some discomfort, they are less likely to be active and pop open their sutures.

Latest posts

Back