Slight interest in Breeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In my state as far as I can tell there are no obvious breeders who breed angora rabbits unless they are 4-H kids. A friend of mine from another state raises Angora rabbits and also uses the fur for making fabric items. I know nothing about that. I am just slightly interested in learning more about breeding. I would only be interested in a rather small "business" and would be very cautious. I just want to look into things and find out more is all. It might be a way to make extra money enough to help pay for 1 vacation a year:) Maybe. If any of you breeders have good websites or books to recommend I would appreciate it on getting started.

Please don't breed, especially not rabbits like angora rabbits who are very likely to suffer as very few people will have the time and patience to look after them properly.

Long haired breeds are a lot of work, but there coats are so nice if cared for properly.
I recently read a great article in the ARBA’s magazine about a breeder talking about grooming, I’ll see if I can find the authors name. www.thenaturetrail.com is really helpful for breeding if you would ever try breeding.

I'm definitely not anti-breeding at all. We have a few litters here and there, but from a small business perspective, it really isn't lucrative. The time, energy, and expense put into raising rabbits won't and doesn't really result in a major profit. We have a litter of 6 Flemish Giant babies and I plan to pedigree my line over the next years, but I will lose money doing it. Even if I were to sell my kits at $125.00 each (which is what I am asking to only perfect homes,) we've put in more than 5k dollars into their set-up alone. We consider it a hobby and love for the breed only.

Rabbits we won't sell, we will keep and alter (to keep as our pets). A good example of one of these babies is Waldo (our daughter called it Dune first, but chose a new name a couple days ago). It's got a neuro issue that it was born with (runs circles, has ataxia, and is just very uncoordinated). We've taken the babies to the vet, which was quite expensive and will always do so with each litter.

Maintenance-wise and feeding isn't really too costly. We go through a 50lb bag of high quality pellets every 3 weeks along with 2 full sized bales of hay monthly to every 6 weeks...which is around 65.00 in feed for that duration. We also don't repeat breed our does, only 1-2 litters per year.

Just wanted to share my personal experience.

If you decide to breed, be sure to have enough space and a plan about what to do with excess rabbits beforehand. Any of the kits I can't keep or sell go to Camp Kenmore. I too don't breed my does more than once or twice (quite often they manage a second litter without asking me about it) a year.
Breeding for wool sure is interesting, but I guess not the most easy way to get into the hobby. But if this is your goal, you have the time and resources, and already a use for the wool (I have a nice pile of tanned pelts, and no real use, all I made til now is a winter cap), read up and go for it. Have a plan B ready to abort the experiment if it doesn't turn out to be your shtick, like returning the rabbits to where you got them from - just don't make them other people problems.

Don't even think about making a profit, isn't going to happen, much more lkely a rather complex endeavour like breeding for fiber is going to be a money pit.

Breeding rabbits isn't rocket science, just one or two generations ago they were a very common staple food around here, even now we are 3 breeders in my rather short alley. Since I'm alone one of the biggest downsides for me is that they need to be cared for twice a day, no matter what, takes me about 20-30 minutes each. So, if you leave home you'll need someone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back