Slight concern, Dog is acting strange.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selbert

Reaction score
This morning was very unusual. Dope was being his normal hungry self but Dog seemed very hesitant. She ate perfectly well but seemed very unsure of me. I figured maybe she was sleepy and went on to do my normal morning tasks.

Later, however, when I went back for an hours cuddle and play she hid under the bed (their little cosy spot where I have blankets for them) and thumped her foot 3 or 4 times over the space of around 3 minutes. This is incredibly unusual behaviour, I am used to Dog bounding up to me being right in my face wanting some sort of treat or head rub!

Dope has been actin completely normal, I began to give Dope a treat and tried to give Dog some. She took the treat and retreated! This is the kind of behaviour I would expect when first bringing a timid rabbit home. Dog isn't a timid rabbit and wasn't even like this when I first brought her home.

She was neutered around 10 days ago but her recovery was fine, I checked the wound and it's healed. Could it be the change in hormones?

I didn't want to stress her so after I checked the wound (she was pretty scared and struggled) I left her alone. I really don't want GI stasis so I think I will leave her a bit, then try gaining trust with some parsley and do frequent and short visits with her. Would this be okay or should I be with her all the time incase something is wrong?

Scared mummy here :( I hope she's okay.

Selina.

Just to rule out the easy stuff... have you been petting any unfamiliar animals, used a new soap, shampoo, body wash, perfume, anything like that? Rabbits are pretty scent-oriented, so if you smell unfamiliar it could cause odd behavior... and not all rabbits will respond to changes like that, so only having one react wouldn't be abnormal. Changes to her routine or around the house could also upset some rabbits.

If nothing's changed, then I would definitely keep a close eye on her - make sure she's eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally and doesn't appear to be uncomfortable or in pain (grinding her teeth, laying down only to get right back up, etc.). It would also be a good idea to phone your vet, describe the odd behavior over the phone and ask if they think you should bring her in, just to be safe. It could be nothing at all, but at the same time sometimes the littlest sign that something is wrong is the only sign - rabbits do hide pain and sickness very well, after all.

Is she still eating the same amounts? Is her poop the same, not mushy or smaller than usual?

She is eating and pooping normally and has shaken it off suddenly, really bizarre. I brought the cat brush into the room, I suspect this may have been the culprit. The cat lives in a separate room and they only come into contact on walks and supervised play time. She's normally really good with the cat but maybe not being able to see where the smell was coming from may have disturbed her. I took the brush out and showered and she was back to normal. Phew, thank you so much for the help I don't think I would have thought of that, considering I thought they got on.

Selina
:brownbunny

Latest posts

Back