Sleepy Snowy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me.
My 10 week old bunny has little sticky eyes, sleeps a lot and today I had to wash her bottom because it was covered in poo.
She is no where as active as my other two 12 week old bunnies.
She's drinking and eating well but very relaxed, seems to nibble on food then sit for 10 then eat a little more, then sleep.
She also eats with her eyes nearly closed.

Attachments

• IMG20221123205344.jpg
    IMG20221123205344.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221123205319.jpg
    IMG20221123205319.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221123205401.jpg
    IMG20221123205401.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221123210233.jpg
    IMG20221123210233.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20221123210004.jpg
    IMG20221123210004.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hello, just wondering if anyone can help me.
My 10 week old bunny has little sticky eyes, sleeps a lot and today I had to wash her bottom because it was covered in poo.

Do you mean eyes sticky with white sticky discharge, or do you just mean squinting or closed eyes, and lethargy?

Are these new rabbits all vaccinated, and if so, how long since they were vaccinated?

Very little yellow and all vaccinated... Yes new rabbits, and ranging from 10-12 weeks old .
I gave her some all wormer and changed their diet..
She seems do be hopping around this afternoon and eating but also sleeping a lot.

If the eyes have sticky discharge, the bunny could have conjunctivitis or maybe a scratch to the cornea, and this could be a cause for the lethargy as it would be painful. Which would require rabbit safe antibiotic eye drops and a meloxicam (NSAID) prescription from your rabbit vet, the minimum needed to treat the painful eye condition.

If there's no sticky discharge or a problem with the eyes, I would be concerned that she's contracted the calicivirus that affected your previous rabbits. This can be spread around the environment through transfer, from shoes, from clothes, from hands, anything your infected rabbits came in contact with that you then had contact with, can spread the disease. It would be impossible to completely decontaminate outdoors, so it's more than likely there would be cross contamination and the virus was tracked indoors as well.

Even vaccinated rabbits can be at risk. Particularly if they were only recently vaccinated and their immunity hasn't had the needed time to build up enough to protect them from the virus, and/or if the strain that affected your other rabbits is a different one than is covered by the vaccination these new rabbits received.

I would suggest contacting your knowledgeable rabbit vet right away. If it's an eye infection and caught early enough, it can usually be easily treated with the correct medications. If it isn't an eye infection but something else, the vet will need to properly assess your rabbit. Because of your previous rabbits deaths due to suspected calicivirus, it's very important to make your vet aware of this when you phone them so they can take the necessary precautions when dealing with a potentially infectious disease.

http://rabbitvet.net/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

Latest posts

Back