Sleeping with your rabbit? Has anyone done it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to sleep with my bunny when she was sick. She was awfully quiet all night ... I didn't get much sleep, because I was worried senseless, but she slept peacefully, when she wasn't licking my hand and cuddling under the blanket.

I don't think I would do it now that she's healthy again. She likes to run around at night, and my bed is not the ideal place for that.

Becky's house is in our bedroom, but we shut the door at night. I just don't trust the cats yet to behave themselves. They can get to wrestling around like crazy cats with eachother, not sure the bunny should be in the mix. In less than a week she has learned to stay quiet until the lights come on. I think she plays with her toys and blankie though.

Ive done it before. If your sleeping style is "all over the place", i wouldnt recommend it.

Back when Katmai was sick, we used to take naps together in my bed, 3 to 4 hours at a time. Plus you want to put them back in their cage/house for them to go potty if theyre potty-trained or not.

My bunny gets caged at night because he has this problem with me and the cats sleeping through the night. I wake up with the bunny running laps on the bed and both the cats being really pissed. Never had a problem with him jumping on and off the bed.

My bun sleeps in her cage at night. We sort of have a routine. I take her out of her pen, put her in her cage, give her oatmeal from my hand, and then some fresh hay. She usually eats and then settles down. She stays in my room next to my bed and I never have any problems with noise, as she's very quiet. (I am also a light sleeper). Once in a while early in the morning she might start biting her cage for attention, but hardly ever. The most she does usually is burrow under her blanket.

I usually let her play on my bed in the morning when I'm getting ready and sometimes when I'm relaxing at night. I just have to be careful cuz she started chewing my comforter before. She likes to do Bunny 500's and binkies and then when she gets tired she bunny flops next to me and cuddles up.

And this is the cutest thing ever....every morning when I wake up...as soon as I sit up in bed...She starts running back and forth in her cage by the door so that I open it up and pet her. This is her routine every morning and it's the cutest thing. Also, while I'm petting her, many times I get thoroughly washed. She really puts effort into it :)

Then sometimes I take her out to cuddle, put her on my bed to run around before work, or put her in her pen if I'm off.

I have thought what if I slept with her, but the rolling over thing and possibly suffocating her does not sound like a good idea.

I never have personally slept with a rabbit, except napping on a car ride home from a long tiring show that I wasn't driving for. ButI know two people that have, Red Thunder Rabbits has, she does quite a bit between sleeping with her dogs or her rabbits(She has a cocker spaniel, cockerpoo that she does this with, not her 2 German Shepards) they're a comfort for her. I have slept in the barn with my buns around me and once in a horse stall with the Old QH that I trusted with my life.

Antoher is one bunny that i Pet homed, he was over sized Holland Lop. He opens his own cage door every morning and jumps up on his young slave's bed and flops down next to him to sleep. Then he'll hop around with his slave while he gets ready for school and goes back to his cage in time for Ian to close the cage while he's gone to school. it's kinda cool

I have a dwarf hotot who is very good about using his litter box no matter what (especially since he was neutered). I usually let him run around freely during the day and cage him at night, but one night when he was especially cute I decided to give him some freedom and left his cage door open.

I laid in bed and within seconds he joined me. He laid by my feet all stretched out. I am sure he got up to run around, eat, drink, eliminate, etc. but he was by my feet every time I woke up and in the morning. now he sleeps there just about every night! He will gladly follow along with me to get a drink of water in the night, and if he notices I am awake some affectionate licks surely follow. I have never had him poop or pee in the bed with me, or cause me to lose sleep. I have no idea why he does this, as I have never attempted to encourage him to sleep in the bed, but I enjoy having my little bun there as a companion. :biggrin:

Wow how time changes things! I read my old reply and things are very differnt at our house now.

We have 4 rabbits and no cages. Becky will nap with me on a regular basis. We snuggle and I fall asleep, she excuses herself when she wants to. Sometimes I wake up with Gary sleeping on my hip. They choose the level of contact they want.

The cats have turned out to be great play mates for the rabbits. They are much more gentle with the rabbits than they are with each other.

MikeScone wrote:
I tried leaving Natasha out one night, but she promptly peed on the bed, so that put an end to that.
That was December 2010. Natasha has been out every night since February or March of last year, and now she sleeps in bed with me at least part of every night. I do find it a bit less than restful to be awakened for a face-washing at 1:00AM, but it's hard to get mad at her for wanting to groom Dad. She's so intent on the business, I just let her go for a while and then tell her to "go sleep", which she usually does.

I wish we could have a bunny in our bed at night! I wouldn't trust any of ours not to pee in the bed though. They seem to love fluffy blankets. Sometimes I do bring a bunny into the bed to snuggle with :) And Nomi's cage is in the bedroom. I like having her there because she's the first thing I see when I wake up! It seems like she waits for me to wake up, every morning when I sit up she's loafed so she's facing me, then she runs over and stands as tall as she can on her back legs so I will pet her through the cage bars and talk to her. I've considered trying to make her a cage-free bedroom bunny, but that girl is a pin ball-squirrel hybrid when she has out of cage time and I don't think it would work out.

I have found that the rabbits adjusted their hyper active times to my normal schedule. Gary in particular will rip around the room first thing when the lights go on in the morning and last thing at night, but as soon as the lights are off they are munching on dinner and quiet. Granted, they get their salad just before lights out to help enoucourage them to quiet down.

Rabbits get very used to a schedule. Somehow they even know when it is the weekend and let me sleep in. It's the weirdest thing that on a weekday if I'm in bed at 8am Gary and Becky both start to throw toys and make lots of noise. On the weekends they give me until 10 :)

I'm all for letting your bunny sleep in your bed with you, but only if they decide that they are going to.

I took Helena into my room once because it has carpet (the area where her pen is has a tarp, but it is in the the hardwood floor living room) and let her chill in there for the evening with me. I got in bed and she promptly got up to join me. Granted, it was annoying the first few nights--she would come inspect me at 1am, burrow under my stuffed animals at 3am, and sit on my face at 5 am (because she was hungry?).

After about a week or two, she just gets in at bedtime, whether I'm in bed or not. She will escape from her pen at night if she is in there still (sometimes I get trapped in the library--thesis research :( ) and plop herself on "her spot," which is at the edge of my bed near my feet. I'll come home at 2am, turn on the lights in my room, and she is just sitting in her spot and glaring at me for waking her. She doesn't annoy me at night anymore, which actually makes me a little sad, but I appreciate the sleep.

She was peeing on her spot for a while (not much, just a few "this is mine" dribbles), so I washed my sheets (it came out really easily btw) and put one of the towels that I use to cover her cage on her spot and the marking stopped.

I definitely move in my sleep, but I think she just jumps down when I start invading her space. Maybe my bunny is just a light sleeper...

my room is an un-bunny-proofed mess, so I've never brought them into my bed... I've fallen asleep on the floor of the bunny pen a time or three, though (usually by accident, but the last time I did it on purpose and brought a pillow and blanket which really helped). I usually wake up after 2-3h to bunnies using me as their own personal jungle gym. they like to climb all over my back and nala will tug at my curls sometimes.

I have not let my rabbits sleep with me. My dog sleeps with me every night. My dog has a taste for rabbit meat. She has been known to kill and eat my rabbits and chickens a few times. I HATE that about her, but I still LOVE her to death.

Hahaha it never fails when I start napping with Harvey out that he likes to jump on my face. Plus my bed seems to be one of his favorite digging spots. I have his enclosure in my room and I sleep fine that way. But having him free roam ooooh no I'd never get sleep haha.

My Bunny has free roam of the bedroom and bathroom (where his kitty litter is) and usually he stays on the bed til we go to sleep, and the goes to the foot of the bed... sometimes he just sleeps on the floor next to the bed but always jumps back on the bed in the morning for cuddles.

I think he would stay on the bed if he got continually petted, and he will nudge us if he feels we aren't giving him enough attention.

Its quite funny but he takes turns on who he pays more attention to, either me or my fiancé.. we get quite jealous of each other haha

Before I got the girls, Nelson had free run of my bedroom (he had an xl dog crate as his own space that I pretty much only shut if I was vacuuming). He would sometimes jump up for cuddles in the middle of the night, but he mostly did his own thing when he realized the cuddles stopped when I went to back to sleep.

Bunnies are horrible bed buddies .. Their sleep cycle does not match ours. My rabbit is most active late at night and early morning. He hops around like lightning in his cage.then rings his bells to wake me up:pray: I try my best not to lose my sanity. So if you value sleep, not a good idea to sleep with your bun.

eh, mine have gotten good about not bothering me when I'm sleeping (which actually makes me kind of sad - I miss the attention) - I've been sleeping in their pen quite a bit since getting my new air mattress. every once in a while, I'll wake up when I feel one of them climb onto my pillow, but they just sit there and look at me for a little while, then hop away (Nala will occasionally groom my head a bit). no face-sitting, no bunny-500s over me, etc. they don't start to climb all over me until it's time to wake up and feed them breakfast.

Latest posts

Back