Skyler has a runny nose with green snot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skyler had a bit of staining around his nose this evening from slight discharge. His nose wasn't damp, but the slight green staining is there. I haven't heard him sneeze. I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but he seemed to feel a little heavier than usual when I picked him up. This is alarming because Tallulah had the same thing. He's pooping normally, but so was she... I think I might just be imagining it. In any case, he has an appointment with the vet at 10 am on Sunday (figures I have to be at work at 10:30, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do this...) for a check up. I might try to push it back until Tuesday so I can actually be there with him instead of my boyfriend taking him in. The vet wanted to see him again in 7 to 10 days, so Tuesday is still within that range. I'll keep an eye on his possibly imaginary weight gain :?

Also, I found out tonight that he doesn't like blueberry applesauce baby food very much, I had to stir in a little white grape juice to get him to take the meds! Guess I'll be buying another jar of the peach banana oatmeal baby food tomorrow.

If you want stronger meds say... "After lossing my sweet girl I want to fight this hard from the start. Just in case." You get the idea? Just make it seem like you are using what happened.

:hug:Hey Shiloh, How is Skyler doing? Did you take him yesterday or are you waiting till Tues?

I hope all is well with the little one and that you are doing better. Give Skyler and Rory kisses for me please. :hug2:

Jackie, Skyler had a bit of green snot again. He's been on Albon for a week now. He's still acting normal and I'm looking forward to the vet visit tomorrow. I'm also going to ask about his bite from Rory, it was a month and a half now but you can still see where it was, it's now just a thin black line, but why black? And he also has a gray smudge on his lower lip. It may have always been there, I don't know, but I saw it for the first time when he jumped off the couch and hit the printer head first. I picked him up to make sure he wasn't hurt and hadn't cut his mouth, and I found the gray smudge on his lip. It's still there. I'm also going to ask her about Rory, he's been shedding since April and often when he drinks from his water bowl, I can hear his tummy making sounds. Then there are all the questions I have to ask about Tallulah. So many questions! The vet has instructed the receptionists to schedule me for the time of 2 appointments whenever I come in because I always ask so much :baghead

C'mon Skyler, get rid of that green snotty stuff, and get better for your mummy!:)

I hope it all goes ok at the vets tomorrow Shiloh, and that you get the answers you need for all the bunnies...

Oh, and I can relate to the vets booking you double appointments, we always take ages in there as well cos I ask so many questions too! :p

:hug: Jen xx

Shiloh, do you plan to ask for a different med for Skyler? Doesn't sound like the Albon is doing anything to cure this, as Randy thought it wouldn't. You could wait partially through your appointment and see if they suggest another med, but if they don't, if it were me, I'd be asking for Zithromax, as Randy suggested early on. Also, has your vet done a culture to determine if this is indeed a bacterial upper respitory infection?

Best of luck tomorrow, hon!

Crystal, I'm going to request a culture of his boogers and a fecal test for coccidia and clostridium. I'm also going to request Zithromax :) Tonight I'm going to make up a whole list of questions for the vet so I don't forget anything! And thanks for the kind thoughts, Jen! Little man seems to be feeling fine as he's acting as hyper and happy as usual, but this afternoon I saw him sneeze 4 times in a row. It was actually kind of cute even though I know sneezing is bad.

Shiloh you are soo silly. :DBetter to ask questions right??

Oh Skyler, you need to get better soon...PRETTY PLEASE!!!:pet:I'm glad he is still being his hyper self...that is good.

Wow, Rory's been shedding since April? Do you have furballs floating through your house? The other day I picked up my Peaches and boy did she leave all her hair on me! It's time to whip out the furminator.

Good luck at the vet today...please update us. Positive thoughts going your way.:hug1

Crystal, we're back now! The vet was able to explain to me more what she did last week, too. She said that last week they did test Skyler's poop for coccidia and clostridium, and thankfully neither those nor anything else bad were present. I also brought in some fresh Rory poops (who by the way refused to poop for me for a good hour this morning, he waited until right before we left) and they're going to test those too. She said she didn't do a culture of Sky's boogers because cultures from the nose tend to be contaminated with whatever's in the environment so not very conclusive. She said if he's not getting better by next week (he has another appointment), we'll draw some blood and do a pasteurella titer on him. If he's better next week, we'll just be glad and consider what he has to be a simple URI. She also prescribed him Zithromax and said to keep him on the Albon too, which she is using as a preventative to whatever Tallulah had, just in case. Once we get Rory's poop results, we'll decide if he needs to be treated as well. She also suggested moving Skyler's cage into a different room from Rory, in case Rory's presence is stressing him out. Currently, his cage is on top of Rory's. Rory hates Skyler and would love to hurt him, as is evidenced by the bite he gave to Skyler (which by the way is healing nicely).

I got Tallulah's ashes back today. One of my close friends works at the vet office and she gave them to me. They were in a nice little box, very lovingly packaged by the crematorium. I'm looking for the perfect urn for her ashes and am trying to find a nice music box for the job. As for her health, the vet doesn't think it's worth sending the samples from her necropsy in to be tested right now. The general consensus is that Tallulah died from septicemia from the cecum issues and her intestines were not twisted likes was previously thought. My poor sweetie.

The vet suggested that because of Skyler's sensitivity, when I get a new rabbit I should get one with a known healthy background and from a clean place, then quarantine her for a month before introducing her to the boys. I know this is going to upset some people, but she advised against getting a shelter bunny because it would come with an unknown background. A bunny from a rescue should be okay though I think because it probably would have been in the rescue for a while (time for illnesses to present themselves?) and we'd be able to have the rabbit checked out by a vet before commiting to it. She said that there's a possibility that Rory is a carrier of pasteurella or whatever since Skyler didn't show any symptoms of anything until after he'd been living with us for a week or so. We stayed with Paul's parents for two days before coming home, too. I suppose Tallulah could have given it to him too, since she had a runny nose sometimes too. There are so many unknowns!

One last thing about Sky's meds. This is copy and pasted from the dosage thread on the main forum, hope that's okay: Skyler was prescribed Zithromax and I had to actually take the prescription to the pharmacy at the grocery store to be filled. I'm afraid they might have misread the prescription or something, because it cost $75 and I got two whole bottles of the Zithromax for 10 days! Skyler weighs 2.7 pounds, and I'm supposed to give him 3 mL once a day for 10 days. It was a powder they mixed with water. The label says "Generic for: Zithromax 100/5 mL SU". Is that the concentration? In another spot, it says "Whe constituted as directed, each 5 mL contains azithromycin monohydrate equivalent to 100 mg of azithromycin".

The vet is closed until the morning and I'm not going to give him any until I hear that it's okay. This just sounds like too much medicine to me. Maybe it's supposed to be .3 mL? I don't have the original prescription paper, so I can't look at it.

So, how does Skyler's treatment and meds and the general approach to what's going on sound?

Well, I'm very relieved to report that Skyler likes the Zithromax! I was a little worried about how he'd take it and had Paul ready with towels, but he just lapped it up. What a good boy! It's cherry flavored :biggrin2: I also forgot to say that the vet said his lungs and everything sound clear.

Hi, Please pm Randy to check on the medication dose for your little guy. I have a 7.5 pound bunny on the generic for Zithromax right now. It was a powder that they had to mix up and it is cherry flavor. It sounds very similar to the medication you have but I cannot be completely sure because the medication bottle is at home. I am giving Trouble 1.3 mls once a day. Randy told mehe usually gives a higher dose. Trouble did not tolerate the medication as well as I would have liked. He was being syringe fed for an entire week and had to go to the vets for IV fluids. He is doing well now and the URI is doing better. He will be on his meds for 30 days as he has had the infection for quite a while and this is his third antibiotic for the same infection.

My point is 3mls seems like a lot for your small bunny. I know how you care forand love your bunnies.I also know that you have recently lost one. So I am extending this caution to you in a loving manner as a caring bunny parent.

I hope this medicationis the correct dose and works for your little guy. I also hope that you have him for many years to come. My Trouble is 7 years old and so is his girl friend Trixie. They have been a great source of joy for me. Take care , Beckie Trouble and Trixie

Beckie, I suppose I could have mentioned that Randy replied in the Dosage thread on the main forum! He said that 3 mL per day is just right for a bun of Skyler's size, so I went ahead and gave him the medication. I appreciate your concern though! How much did your Zithromax cost?

Well,I just did a nice long post and then lost it. Whew!!! Thank goodness for Randy! I have learned so much from him. It also gives me some comfort to hear his opinion on rabbit health matters.

I paid $104.00 for Trouble's 30 dayprescription and think it is going to be worth every penny. His sinuses were so full thatI could feel a elongatedlump down his face and the area around his nose was swollen. All that is gone and he no longer has the snuffling sound coming from his nose. He sneezed twice yesterday but i had to listen really well to understand that it was a sneeze. He has been on the meds for 11 days so far. 9 of those days he would not eat pellets or oats. He would eat a few vegetables andI was syringe feeding him baby food and of course water. He was not drinking either.I took him back to the vet for IV fluids and bought Critical Care while I was there. He just started eating really well this Monday.

Hopefully you were able to get some bene bac, that will be important too.

Thank you for not being offended at my other post. From past experience, I just know how devastating and lonely it feels when you have a sick rabbit and you hope you are doing everything right to get them well. You have had enough to cope with and I was worried about the dosage. Your little Monroe will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery! Take care, Beckie, Trouble and Trixie

I think it's time to update this thread! Skyler's been on the Zithromax for 6 days now, and he's still getting Albon. Thankfully, he loves the Zithromax and runs over to get it from the syringe. What a relief! Also, the store stopped carrying his banana peach oatmeal baby food to mix with the Albon, but he thinks apple oatmeal baby food is a decent, if not as good, substitute. He's also growing! I can tell he's bigger in the past week. It will be interesting to see how much more he weighs at the next vet visit.

I'm not sure what to report about his runny nose. He still has some staining, but that might just take a while to fade since the fur there is white. I haven't heard him sneeze in several days, but last night I thought I heard some sneezy sounds coming from the kitchen (where his cage is now since the vet thought maybe being above Rory was stressing him out). I had music playing though so it was hard to tell. Paul was closer to the kitchen and I asked him if it was sneezing, but he said he thought Sky was just digging in his hay... That may have been wishful thinking on his part, though :? I hope he isn't sneezing again! He still has 4 days of Zithromax to go though.

I hope it clears up here in the next few days! Maybe Randy can land some insight on how he's seen Zithromax work as far as timing and declining symptoms?

Thinking of you guys!

Latest posts

Back