Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alek

Reaction score
I'm adopting a friend for Sadie and am supposed to get her tomorrow afternoon. However this bunny friend came from a previously abusive home. The sister of said abuser is bringing her to me because she couldn't stand seeing the bunny being treated badly anymore. The abuser didn't give her proper food, water, time outside the cage. Despite being a lionhead and looking very fluffy, she's apparently very skinny. The woman bringing her said the vet declared the bun healthy, and she's been giving the bun free greens, hay, and pellets to get her weight up, but I'm wondering what you'd all recommend food wise that I can give her. I'm on a serious budget so I can't buy anything expensive vitamin wise, but getting food for her is no issue. I know for underweight dogs they recommend puree pumpkin, would that be a good idea to add to her food; perhaps with a little bit of oats. She's also getting full timothy hay, pellets, and fresh greens.
She's going to get time out of her cage, but she'll be on restricted space until she gets her weight up as I don't want her to run all her calories off. She'll be confined to 4ft x 4ft till her health improves.
She wont be introduced to Sadie until she's in a better state, and after 30 day quarantine (I do on all animals even if they have vet clearance, cause I'm a stickler for health).

Pictures taken sister after removal of bunny:
bella1.jpg

Will update more when I see her tomorrow, but your recommendations on diet is welcomed.

Attachments

• bella2.jpg
    bella2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 10
I would not add anything extra to her diet. She will get to a good weight gradually on her own if she is getting hay, greens, and pellets. That is the healthiest way to let her gain weight - gradually.

Once she gets to a good weight, pellets can be reduced/limited.

I completely agree, it’s not healthy to put on that much weight so quickly, and with such sensitive tummies they shouldn’t be given anything too high in fat anyway. She will put the weight on, even while running around. Maybe when you get her you could do a proper body condition score or take her to a vet for a health check, as quite often rabbits that people think are underweight are actually closer to a healthy weight than the many overweight/obese rabbits that people are used to seeing.

I completely agree, it’s not healthy to put on that much weight so quickly, and with such sensitive tummies they shouldn’t be given anything too high in fat anyway. She will put the weight on, even while running around. Maybe when you get her you could do a proper body condition score or take her to a vet for a health check, as quite often rabbits that people think are underweight are actually closer to a healthy weight than the many overweight/obese rabbits that people are used to seeing.
She went to the vet, the lady that brought her to me took her to the vet. I've had lots of rabbits, and even some skinny ones I've rescued but they didn't need a special diet as they were just a little underweight, but this one is just skin and bones. Her fluff covers quite a lot, the vet was surprised she is alive. I don't have obese animals, I know how use to obese animals people are use to seeing, I have an athletic dog, and people are always sure he's starving to death even though he's a great weight LOL
The bunny (her given name is Bella, but we haven't decided if we want to keep that) is a very nice bunny, but I can tell she doesn't have much energy. Makes me so angry how people treat their bunnies. She has no fat, and was getting chilled. I put a little pet heated blanket to let her lay on and she stopped shaking and took a nap. I gave her food, and she devoured it with gusto. The lady that brought her said that when she gets hungry, she has some issues with confusing fingers with food. :( Poor fluff

Like the others have said, best to take it slow. With any animal that is used to being starved, slow steady weight gain and not too rich a diet to start is usually best. It sounds like you have things well in hand and this bun is lucky to have found her way to you.

It sounds like you know what you’re doing, and I’m glad she’s found someone who will take care of her! Take it slow, she’ll soon start getting better with your care and help. Keep us updated on her progress x

Adding a small serving of Black Oil Sunflower seeds seems to work to keep weight on our mothers after they delivery their kits. Don't overfeed on those though as they will put weight on a bunny fast.

Other than that, I agree with everybody else. Feed the bunny all the food she'll eat, natural greens and pellets, just not lettuce as a base feed.

It sounds like you know what you’re doing, and I’m glad she’s found someone who will take care of her! Take it slow, she’ll soon start getting better with your care and help. Keep us updated on her progress x

I just want to make sure I've done everything I can. I'm use to dealing with underweight dogs or cats. All the rabbits I've dealt with haven't been this thin. So I just want to make sure everything is done to help her. She eats like she's never eaten a day in her life. It's really sad. She even tried to steal cat food: even after she ate her greens and hay, as well as some of my other rabbits greens and hay, when my husband had her in the other room, and little bun snuck in and gorged herself when I wasn't looking. I've had to keep an eye on her as I don't want her to eat till she makes herself sick, which I know animals that haven't had much food can do sometimes.
We're considering some names for her. I like the name Mae (as in Mae West), as she looks like she's wearing a fur shawl, and is a sassy beauty.

Yes I think that’s very sensible, let her put it on gradually. She’s lucky to have you looking after her :)
Mae is a lovely name :) and sounds very fitting!

Yes I think that’s very sensible, let her put it on gradually. She’s lucky to have you looking after her :)
Mae is a lovely name :) and sounds very fitting!
My husband I had a debate on her name. We've decided on Eartha Kit, as I wanted a diva name for her, but I didn't want to call her Beyonce like my husband was calling her. My husband refused to call her Mae as he had an ex named that LOL
She is an insanely cuddly rabbit, she loves when you get in there and cuddle her like a puppy. Which puts less pressure on Sadie, who is completely not a cuddly rabbit, just playful.

Latest posts

Back