Skin infection in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prekshi

Reaction score
My bunny is having severe skin infection (redness and skin flakes and bald spots were seen). She has been receiving vet treatment since last week and the redness in the infected area was reduced but still the flakes are seen and hairfall due to flakes are continuing. Is it normal to have such hairfall after treatment and how long it will take to wear off (almost half of her body has been infected) and can I shave her body and apply coconut oil to reduce the flaking of the skin? Also some small but new spots are seen with redness. Help me please. Kindly suggest me more hygenic and home remedies that can be applied on skin. IMG_20190706_204548.jpegIMG_20190629_182159.jpeg

What did the vet diagnose as the cause and what treatment have you been given?
Don’t shave her.

There has to be a reason for the skin infection, usually mites or an allergy. You may need to look at everything your rabbit is eating and what kind of things in his environment he could be allergic to. One of my rabbits is having skin problems. Problems started when I bought a bale of hay that was harvested at the end of the year. The bale had a little alfalfa mix in, and the alfalfa had seeds. Alfalfa seeds and sprouts can cause flare ups in people with Lupus, and Lupus like syndromes in people with poor immune systems. I don't know if it can cause the same problems in rabbits. I changed her hay and the problem stopped spreading, but it hasn't cleared up. I have other rabbits that ate the same hay and were not affected. I am still working on the problem.

Latest posts

Back