"Skin fold" (?) in 3 year old rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria

Reaction score
Hi

My soon 3 year old dwarf mix rabbit "Red" acts his usual self even put a bit on weight after being a bit on the thin side. I noticed this morning he has something that looks and feels like loose skin area around his front where his chest is. I touched it and it is soft and feels like a skin fold, it is justhanging there on his chest. He did not have this before though and I was wondering what this is and if this is normal. Mayhe is getting older and I seen something similar but with more "meat" inside on older rabbits before. thank you in advance for advice .

I think you found a Dewlap, google and look at images of results! please note i am new to rabbit care LOL,hope i`m right though :biggrin2:

probably this is what it is LOL :) I am quite new to rabbits as well. I read that this is more common for a female and Red is a male rabbit. But it says that it is also in some male rabbits but less in size. My rabbit is mix and he has some cinnamon we think in him which is a meat breed and his skin has folds in other areas too which in winter fills in with more fat.

I hope it is. :? He is quite skinny though right now he usually loses weight in summer. so not sure why would he have dewlap if he is skinny, usually they are big when they have it I would have thought

My Tony is an ok weight and he has a little dewlap. A pis would be helpful though. Unlike dogs and cats, a bunny can be a good weight but you can feel their ribs a bit.

OK I will post it later today. not good with computers have problems of uploading pics from camera onto the computer - I will get someone to do it.

Same it is not all the time visible I noticed it few days ago first and now I cant see much of it. Red is not overweight he is a bit underweight though. My rabbits re small breed (dwarf mix). Black is always slightly thin but Red seems to shed weight during summer and is quite padded in winter.

Latest posts

Back