size of nethie babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
In my 2 current litters I have two babies in each that look very similar and I mainly distinguish them by size (and thankfully they are rung now:))
If I don't spot a major difference in type in the next few weeks I will base my decision largely on size (the smaller buck and the larger doe)
What I am wondering though is will the smaller sibling grow up to be a smaller adult rabbit or could one overtake the other?
I'd love to hear people's experiences.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Generally, proportions seem to stay the same in the litters I have. :)
That's good to know. So I can base my choice on something valid:)

True. In my litters, kit size and adult size are decently similar. The runt was still tiny when I sold him last week. Not even 2 lbs as a senior.

However, on the other end, some of my large kits are staying rather small for what they came out of. One that was 10+ grams bigger then the rest (whom I thought was going to be a BUB. That's a large difference...), is now barely bigger than his sister. Both are now 6 month seniors, and sitting at a tiny 2 lbs 1 oz. (The buck might be 3 oz. Having weighed him recently.)

So it's most certainly not strict, but a good indicator. You might want to wait to judge on type until they're older juniors, however. There's looots of growing to be done, and I believe they're bones still grow up to 10 months! While some things are easy to pick out, like length (they simply won't be able to pose like a dwarf, even at 10 weeks old.), or light bone, things like HQ's and heads can change before they hit senior. Even a while into senior-hood.

Latest posts

Back