Six new wrigglies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyandKen

Reaction score
Hi all - we are new to the forums. Happy Xmas! Advice needed please.

We got six 'emergency' bunnies last week after taking themfrom an evil person about to feed them to his dog - 2adultsand 4 tiny buns about 5 weeks old. Afterrehoming 3 with relatives, and one badly looked after baby dying enroute to our house, we bought new cages and settled them allin. Two days before Christmas, the bunny we were told was'the only male' (never thought to check!) gave birth to seven tiny pinkwrigglies after showing no sign of pregnancy at all except eating ourdog's meat biscuits....

Sadly, one wriggly died on Xmas day after coming out of the nest, so webrought them all indoors. We now have ten buns and one guinea pig, andwe'll be keeping them all!! They are soooooo cute and squeak and popabout when we open the nest to check them! Two rabbits and the pig livetogether, and a large doe lives alone - she is extremely vicious andI'm hoping we can tame her a bit. Mam and the 6 wrigglies are livinginside with us.

Has anyone any advice on whether some of the buns can live togetherwhen they're older? We can't afford millions of cages - have ordered 3more so will have 6, all about 5 ft long each, and well big enough formini buns. I'm too soft to give them away, and the vet quoted £400-£450to neuter them all- we just can't afford to do them all.

Advice is greatly needed and appreciated!

Thanks,

Linz and Ken

Welcome and congratulations on all the babies!There are several posts on bonding here, and I'm sure the forum expertswill jump in for your questions. :)

Glad to have you aboard!

Wow, good work. I was told that doesfrom the same litter can be kept together until kindling.Since you won't be breeding then they might be able to stay together,unless they start getting too territorial and fight, then they have tobe separated. I have a breeder friend who has all of herrabbits in a warren. They all live together until it is timefor the does to kindle. Of course the bucks are separate.

But wait for more experienced advice...I have not done this, I've only had it told to me from two other breeders.

Good luck on your new babies!!! And kudoes to you for keeping them all!

Dawn

Thanks!

We have been trawling the internet for a week now looking for advice -today was the first day we found this page. The wrigglies are GORGEOUS- two jet black, two black and white like the mother, and two blondeand white ones. We are smitten! It is very sad indeed- wehave names for them all already! Blade, the mam, is very friendly -will happily watch uscheck the kits as long as we have somebread for her, or a dog biscuit. Not sure this is good for her but aswe've only had her a week and a bit I'm doing everything I can to makefriends!

Our house is a bit like a shelter - the dog was rescued from beingdrowned by its owners (it was the runt) and the cat was found crushedin our front garden after being hit by a car.

It's like a plague of rabbits...........can imagine drowning in fur, but they're so lovely!:dude:

In fact - Blade looks just like the bun on the post above, except with pointed ears....!

It's impossible to foresee which of the siblingsmay get along and live in peace without tearing eachr topieces. The litter should be separated by sex at the age of12 weeks. Young bucks may mate with their sisters or dam atthis age.

If you are extremely short on cage space and will not be re-breedingthe doe, you can attempt to leave the does in a large cage with thedam. Be aware that they may fight, so watch for tell tale signs such asclumps of fur in the cage.

Breeders have a general rule of "1 adult rabbit per cage" because ofthe serious injury rabbits can inflict on one another. Thelimited area of the cage prevents the more timid rabbit from escapingthe relentless torture of it's cage mate.

There are certainly many cases where rabbits do bond well and livetogether peacefully, but remember they are a social animal that mayfight to establish a social hierarchy.

Pam

WHEN are you going to post pics???? You know it's required!

lol

They sound utterly adorable. I want to be drowning in bunny fur too(actually, I was-- this summer--and I miss them all so much!)

Rose

Lol, I am desperate to post pictures but I don'thave a digital camera (or a standard one for that matter!) The blondeand white wriggly is so gorgeous I could burst - it's like a littlehippo! They're quite sedate at the minute (full!) but that blondiemakes me want to squeal!!

Go get a disposable camera and have walmart process them and get a disc. It's not really expensive :)

oooooooh....maybe you should buy a disposable camera! lololol

Mine are grown now, but here they are as wee wrigglies:

Pict0008.jpg

baby2-3wks.jpg

And now:

bubface.jpg

Any specific breeds? (These are Palominos) Welcome, by the way!

Rose

SQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!! They are soooo gorgeous - look a lot like my blonde one!!

I've no idea what breed they are at all - I understand the father was alop of some sort - unfortunately we didn't get there in time:(:(to stop him being fed to the dog. Seriously, some peopleare evil. Mother is white with black markings, likedmmcnair's bunny on this post, but with pointed ears.

Your wrigglies were sooooo beautiful, and still are - thank you for the pics! :D

Lindsey x

rabbitgirl, those babies are PRECIOUS!!!! :)

Go get that camera and show us babies LindseyandKen :) hehe, I am a photo junkie :)

Hi Lindsey and welcome to the forum.

You really have your hands full dont you? LOL I'm putting my order in for pics of the wrigglies too!!!!

Please...

Lanna

I certainly do - and am praying Isis' nestlining this evening is a phantom pregnancy, butI DOUBT IT,the sheer size of the thing! I expect to have even more buns bytomorrow....whimper! I only agreed to take six - I have inadvertantlydoubled them in a week!!

Linz xx

P.S. Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone!

LindseyandKen wrote:
SQUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!! They aresoooo gorgeous - look a lot like my blonde one!!

I've no idea what breed they are at all - I understand the father was alop of some sort - unfortunately we didn't get there in time:(:(to stop him being fed to the dog. Seriously, some peopleare evil. Mother is white with black markings, likedmmcnair's bunny on this post, but with pointed ears.

Your wrigglies were sooooo beautiful, and still are - thank you for the pics! :D

Lindsey x

Hehehehe

Thanks!

They sound adorable. Mine were the color of new pennies--bright russetorange. The one still in my "herd" (they were all spoken for beforethey were conceived) is still a "wriggly"--he's just a bigger wriggly!!His name is Bub, and he likes to play "velcro bunny" in the morningwhen I open his door. He weighs around 10 lbs.

Too bad about the dad!!! Bub's dad was killed by a vet (stupid, stupid,stupid mistake) just a few days before he was born. I miss him, but hisboy is just like him!

If there's anything I wish, it's that I had more pics of Bub's dad. Iwould love to look back and remember. So go for the pics! :D

Rose

Welcome,I hope you can get some of thembonded,male female are the easiest,two females,then two males,neuteredof course.usually mother daughters get along fine i will often leavedoes in with the mother till they are sold which sometimes is severalmonths.watch carefully for fighting because they can seriuosly injureeach other.bluebird

It makes me want to cry, to think people can beso cruel, and feed rabbits to dogs.. It's reallysad.. How can someone do that?! I mean, why getthem in the first place?

And I could go on and on, but I wouldn't want to bore you all. :?

And Welcome! :)

Latest posts

Back