Sinus issues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dobodo

Reaction score
My rabbit Dobo has been sneezing off an on since January with either clear or white discharge from his nose. Hes been on three kinds of antibiotics, had a nasal flush, culture done and xray. I am kind of at my wits end as to what I can do. His energy is great, hes eating well and happy, but I cannot figure out whats causing this, since the straing identified in his culture was supposedly common and easy to get rid of. The only factor I can think of, is my rabbit rooms in a giant hutch with access to a sunroom to run, with a bird in the same room. The bird is relatively small (lovebird) and produces minimal dander/feather shed. Im mainly posting to see if this has happened to anyone else, or if they have any ideas or suggestions. My wallet is running thin on options. If he has to be on antibiotics for the rest of his life so be it, I’m just a very stressed rabbit mom!

I keep both birds and rabbits. Never had an issue with that. Sometimes there isn't much you can do with sinus issues, if you've already cultured it. Was it just a culture to see what strain it was? They can do cultures to see which antibiotics things respond to as well. I've had to do that in the past when one of my rabbits got an abscess that wasn't responding to any different antibiotic I tried.

I keep both birds and rabbits. Never had an issue with that. Sometimes there isn't much you can do with sinus issues, if you've already cultured it. Was it just a culture to see what strain it was? They can do cultures to see which antibiotics things respond to as well. I've had to do that in the past when one of my rabbits got an abscess that wasn't responding to any different antibiotic I tried.
The strain was bordetella bronchiseptica. We tried double doses of doxycycline and enroflaxin 2x daily. He ended his doses yesterday and is having discharge today already. What was the process of diagnosing the abcess? He had an xray done and it didn’t show anything odd. She said the next step would be a CT scan but I’m not sure I can afford it after the 4x prescriptions for antibiotics and xrays. Im trying to research every other alternative and experience before I go ahead. My main worry as a bunny mom is that if this is a long term issue that he’ll be okay, other than occasionally needing antibiotics

The strain was bordetella bronchiseptica. We tried double doses of doxycycline and enroflaxin 2x daily. He ended his doses yesterday and is having discharge today already. What was the process of diagnosing the abcess? He had an xray done and it didn’t show anything odd. She said the next step would be a CT scan but I’m not sure I can afford it after the 4x prescriptions for antibiotics and xrays. Im trying to research every other alternative and experience before I go ahead. My main worry as a bunny mom is that if this is a long term issue that he’ll be okay, other than occasionally needing antibiotics
I did an Antibiotic susceptibility panel with IDEXX labs, iirc. This is something you'd have to go through your vet to do so you might want to discuss that with them.

If it really is bordetella, try azythromicin. If there is improvement after a week, do another week.

Latest posts

Back