Sinus infection and comfort cares

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niomi

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that has been struggling with sinus infections for over a year. He will be 12 years old in October. In the past he has been prescribed antibiotics, but the infection always comes back after the medication are gone. The vet said that he will continue to have this condition no matter what, and it is time to stop the antibiotics. He sneezes a lot and gets snot all over his fur. It is hard to wash off. Has anyone tried Vet Rx or Bunnymycin? I saw them on "All Things Bunnies" online and I wonder if they would make him feel better. He is not ready to go to the rainbow bridge yet. He still shows signs of joy,

How long has the course(s) of antibiotic(s) been when your rabbit was receiving treatment? Hearing the "infection always comes back", to me, is a sign of potentially stopping the treatment too early, which is not uncommon in treating rabbit respiratory-related infections. Depending on what tx was, I wonder if it's worth revisiting tx again because sneezing a lot and having snot all over cannot be fun for your rabbit or you.

Unfortunately I do not have experience with Vet Rx or Bunnymycin, but if your rabbit is having nasal discharge (and if it's colored), I don't think these will do any good because they are not addressing the root of the problem.

He has had problems with sinus infections for a couple of years, but it has been this past year that he was put on antibiotics. Each time it has been a longer period of time, an different antibiotics have been used. The last time it was 4 weeks of lmedication.

Has the discharge ever been cultured? To find out what strain of bacteria it is and what antibiotics can kill it? Even if it has, that might be good to do again, and then a long enough course hopefully would take care of it.

He has had problems with sinus infections for a couple of years, but it has been this past year that he was put on antibiotics. Each time it has been a longer period of time, an different antibiotics have been used. The last time it was 4 weeks of lmedication.
Hmm.. have the medications been stopped after a good amount of time of lack of symptoms? It is unusual, but personally my Wick (who had a URI when we got him) didn't get over his URI until he was on Baytril about 8 weeks and we added penicillin injections during the last 3 weeks. Baytril showed signs of improvement, but it plateau'd, but removing it made symptoms come back, which is why the shots were added. A longer tx, to my knowledge, is unusual, but obviously not unheard of.

I agree that if a culture is an available assessment, it may be worthwhile at this point.

There's also the fact that your rabbit is living a truly long life, and a consequence of age can be a naturally weaker immune system. If it is between long-term antibiotic care vs. your rabbit getting snot crusted, I would choose antibiotics if they are providing symptom relief and are not upsetting the rabbit in another way.

Is the discharge colored, and have allergies been considered? My other rabbit, Fable, has some sort of nasal congestion naturally and she gets Children's Benadryl when I notice it is acting up.

I read on another site where someone claimed putting GSE (grapefruit seed extract) in the water helps with snuffles, so I tried it. It seems to help. His tear ducts don't work and sometimes his eyes are watery. I would put him to sleep but he still runs around the room and visits my other rabbits and he eats well. He has lost weight, but he still seems to have a lot of energy. I don't expect to cure him, but I want him to enjoy the time he has left. His 12th birthday is in November, but I don't expect that he will live to see it. He has seen the vet 4x's in the past year and I see no point in putting him through anymore treatments.

Interesting-- I've never heard of GSE as a help, but if it is seeming to help rather than harm, I agree that doing what you can to enjoy the time he has left is a fine decision.

I read on another site where someone claimed putting GSE (grapefruit seed extract) in the water helps with snuffles, so I tried it. It seems to help. His tear ducts don't work and sometimes his eyes are watery. I would put him to sleep but he still runs around the room and visits my other rabbits and he eats well. He has lost weight, but he still seems to have a lot of energy. I don't expect to cure him, but I want him to enjoy the time he has left. His 12th birthday is in November, but I don't expect that he will live to see it. He has seen the vet 4x's in the past year and I see no point in putting him through anymore treatments.
Where did you purchase the grapefruit seed extract?

my bunny keeps having a reoccurring sinus infection most of the summer. She’s been on antibiotics off and on and as soon as it stops she starts getting sick again in two weeks.

I might try to get a culture next time we are able to be seen at the Vet. It’s going to be 180$ but at this point the infection keeps coming back after a few rounds of the same antibiotic and the additional antibiotic eye drops last round.

just wanted to be aware of all the options available out there.

Dose is 10 drops per gallon of water for 21 days. I found GSE at a store called Fresh Thyme. This helped my rabbit, but I did end up putting him to sleep. I took Harley to a more experienced vet and he was diagnosed with Thymoma.

Dose is 10 drops per gallon of water for 21 days. I found GSE at a store called Fresh Thyme. This helped my rabbit, but I did end up putting him to sleep. I took Harley to a more experienced vet and he was diagnosed with Thymoma.
Wow! 😟 I’m so sorry to hear that Harley had to be put down 😢. Did the Vet suspect that the Thymoma was the cause of his respiratory symptoms?

Wow! 😟 I’m so sorry to hear that Harley had to be put down 😢. Did the Vet suspect that the Thymoma was the cause of his respiratory symptoms?
Yes, Thymoma causes breathing problems, but it wasn't the only cause. Harley had been struggling with a snotty nose and sneezing for a couple of years. I would take him to a vet and he would be given antibiotics. The sinus problems would clear up and then come back again. Then he got more antibiotics, then different antibiotics and was on them for a longer period of time. The sinus problems would clear up, but then they would return in a week or two. The new vet told me that pasteurella was to blame for that. Harley also had bulging eyes and his third eye lids were always out. That is something the other vets didn't think was a problem. Perhaps they just didn't want to put him to sleep. The eye problems were from Thymoma.

Yes, Thymoma causes breathing problems, but it wasn't the only cause. Harley had been struggling with a snotty nose and sneezing for a couple of years. I would take him to a vet and he would be given antibiotics. The sinus problems would clear up and then come back again. Then he got more antibiotics, then different antibiotics and was on them for a longer period of time. The sinus problems would clear up, but then they would return in a week or two. The new vet told me that pasteurella was to blame for that. Harley also had bulging eyes and his third eye lids were always out. That is something the other vets didn't think was a problem. Perhaps they just didn't want to put him to sleep. The eye problems were from Thymoma.
Oh, I see 😲. Thanks for responding and sharing about the symptoms Harley had been experiencing.

My bunny’s eyes are not bulging, just some repeated respiratory infections after courses if antibiotics. Will have to get her cultured and see what comes back.

This post has been really helpful and I learned new things too. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back