Single maned or no mane?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
Hi guys. My baby Lionheads are three weeks old today and they're so lovely. They're running around loads, annoying their mom!

I know two of the six are double maned, but when should I be able to tell with the others if they are single maned or no maned? Both parents are single maned I guess.

The babies are fluffy but I'm sure all baby rabbits are fluffy :)

Also what age can I tell the sex? 4 weeks? I have no idea so far, they all look pretty much the same!

Also will no-maned lionhead rabbits just look like normal rabbits, but with the lionhead body type, or will they be any bit fluffier around the head.

I saw this pic of a lionhead, and it seems to have a bit more hair on top of its head, but has much less of a mane than my SM lionheads. Is it a single maned that has just lost a lot of its mane or is it non maned? Just wondering so I can tell people what their rabbit they buy will most likely look like when it's older :)

lhfull.jpg

You should be able to tell the sex by 4 weeks, but it's different for everyone. ;) I can tell as soon as the kits are about 3 days old, but I've been breeding for a long time.

A doe's gentitals should look like a straight line, or a "taco", while a boy's should look like a circle, or "donut". ;)

Emily

I'll try to tell in another week so. I can easily tell with the adult bunnies, but it's much harder with the babies. It's a big annoying not knowing what they are, cos with dogs and cats and guinea pigs I can tell from birth. I just like to know so I can name them and all :)

I agree. It can be very frustrating and nerve-wracking when it's hard to tell! lol.

If you can tell on older bunnies, maybe look at their genitals and then go look at the babies, and see if you can see any similarities. Look at a bucks, and a does, and then go check the babies. I do that sometimes for reference. ;)

Emily

I tried that but all the babies looked exactly the same to me! :) Unless they all are girls or all are boys! They actually looked like girls to me, but then I figured they can't all be girls so I must just not be able to tell yet.

I'll check again tomorrow though, look at all of them and see if there's any different I can tell :) There's no rush really I suppose. Just have to figure out before they go to new homes, and I don't want to promise people I'll keep a male/female for them, and then not have enough of them :)

Also will no-maned lionhead rabbits just look like normal rabbits, but with the lionhead body type, or will they be any bit fluffier around the head.

I saw this pic of a lionhead, and it seems to have a bit more hair on top of its head, but has much less of a mane than my SM lionheads. Is it a single maned that has just lost a lot of its mane or is it non maned? Just wondering so I can tell people what their rabbit they buy will most likely look like when it's older :)

lhfull.jpg

When I recieved my lionhead as a birthday gift, I had no idea about double mane single mane no man. I just looked up a picture and was like omg so fluffy, how do I handle it.

So when he didnt appear to be developing a mane at first I thought the breeders lied to me and it was that other dwarf rabbit, but I saw pictures of the parents. They are both rescues so the parentage is unknown, but both are single mane. They aren't that fluffy only their wool on their skirts is long and they have little mohawks. As for a mane, they have very long wool on their cheeks.
My lionhead is now 6 months old and is very fluffy all over his body. I supose its wool because I watched it grow out and change color. He's still a fawn but he's gotten darker over the months. Imntold that's normal for rabbits to be darker in the summer and lighter in the winter. Though he is strictly a house bunny.

His markings were so cute a month ago. The wool had grown and looked like he had a saddle in it's back, but now its grown out and the saddle is gone.

QUOTE]

Attachments

• 20200726_192417.jpg
    20200726_192417.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200825_222242.jpg
    20200825_222242.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 2
Rabbits with no mane will not have any mane at all. Even a tuft of fur on the head is a mane.
You can usually tell sex pretty reliably by 4 weeks, is easiest at about 6 weeks

Latest posts

Back