simethicone

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
Poor Benjamin has a stomach ache this evening. When I got home from work he was hanging out in his litter box, which he never does. Husband said he'd been there for 30 minutes, and didn't eat any pellets at dinner time.

I gave him some simethicone around 5:30 pm. His tummy felt puffed up and hard. I tried to massage it a bit but he wasn't too keen on that. At 9pm he was still in the litter box, never ate any pellets. I gave him another dose of simethicone, and tried to massage again. This time, he was grinding his teeth really loudly.

How frequently can I give simethicone? I can get up through the night to give him more.

If he's still feeling poorly in the morning, I'll be taking him in to the vet first thing, they're open in the morning on Saturdays. Hopefully one of the exotics vets will be in.

I will also add that Benjamin was fine this morning, he ate all his salad. I checked in on him at lunch time and he was acting normally then. So he started feeling bad sometime between 1 and 5.

Typically, 1ml/hr evey hr for 3 hours, then wait 3 hours, and give another dose. If he's a bigger bunny, 1.5mL is good. It's nearly impossible to OD on simethicone.

I'd give some pain meds if you have them--metacam, ibuprofen, aspirin--because of the grinding. this has doses: http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

You can syringe him some water or pedialyte (10mL would be good), and put out some pumpkin or squash baby food.

BethM wrote:
Poor Benjamin has a stomach ache this evening. When I got home from work he was hanging out in his litter box, which he never does. Husband said he'd been there for 30 minutes, and didn't eat any pellets at dinner time.

I gave him some simethicone around 5:30 pm. His tummy felt puffed up and hard. I tried to massage it a bit but he wasn't too keen on that. At 9pm he was still in the litter box, never ate any pellets. I gave him another dose of simethicone, and tried to massage again. This time, he was grinding his teeth really loudly.

How frequently can I give simethicone? I can get up through the night to give him more.

If he's still feeling poorly in the morning, I'll be taking him in to the vet first thing, they're open in the morning on Saturdays. Hopefully one of the exotics vets will be in.
well,,you have identified some issues,,a exotic spl.-is needed,,diet could be the main problem,..most likely will require a facial radiogragh,for dental spurs,,-and--tooth grinding/anathestetic/etc.,,rabbits require a diet of 70% non-digestible grasses daily,,to keep their constantly growing teeth trimmed--hence the grinding,,..and a good chance the gi tract is slowing down--need ie.timothy / orchard grasses-to keep the gitract happy.//.the pellets are a quality lowfat,,offered in small amounts daily for vitamins and nutrition.//.offer fruit tree branches/twigs for chewing and gitract,,safe list -organic-yard weeds..ie.dandelions.//.using a stethascope you can give tummy rubs and monitor the gitract,,watch the poops,and urine,,sincerely james waller:big wink:

Thanks, Claire! He is now eating his pellets, and I saw him moving around more, so I think he's feeling better! (Just when I was about to give him another dose of simethicone. I usually give one dropper full, he's 5.5lbs.) I don't have any metacam, but I'm going to bookmark that page for a reference, I always have ibuprofin or aspirin around.
I may offer some canned pumpkin before I go to bed, too.

James, I only feed about 1/4 cup of timothy pellets, 2 cups of fresh mixed greens, and unlimited timothy hay every day. All my bunnies get plenty of chew toys, too.
:)

Latest posts

Back