Simethicone for a baby bunny - advice needed.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aliena

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not (I'm just new around here) but I've got a little orphan rabbit (a wild one) that I am trying to hand raise. I think he is about 12 days old and was probably only a day old when I found him. I don't think his chance of survival is very high but I am giving it my best shot anyway. Last night I noticed he is grinding his teeth quitea bit so I suspect he is in pain. After doing some reading I think he might have gas/wind so I went and bought some Infacol to give him. My question is- how much should I give him? It says on the box each 1ml contains 100mg Simethicone and a baby under a year old should have 0.2ml. I read on here that they should be given 1cctwice a day but that was for a 20mg/ml suspension and is for an adult rabbit. Can anyone advise me of the correct dosage?

I have to give you kudos for what your doing. But, unfortunately, wild buns most likely won't respond to any humane med treatment. Maybe I'm wrong, but, as they are of a wild descent, will not adapt to the humane (so to speak)medication, handling, etc.:( Not sure though. I'm sure someone will respond that has knowledge with this.:D

Simethicone is definitely your best bet, and bunnies take a lot more than babies, oddly enough. I give my3 lb bunnies a full dropper full once every hour or two for about three doses.

You can't really overdose on the stuff, it's 'inert', itwon't do anything other than affect the gas, although it's not good to keep giving it to them for too long. I think three doses per 12hour period is about it, maybe four.

Hope the bunny makes it. :pray:

It's great that you've got him this far.Iknowone or two on this board who survived past weaning, Bo B Bunny has a little girl named Clover if youever want to send her a PM.

sas :clover:

Thanks guys, the calculator said I should give him 0.65ml so I will do that. I don't think he will survive because he has apsirated a lot of the formula which apparantly usually causes pneumonia but I will just try and give him the best chance that I can. He is already learnt that my hands mean he will get food and gets very excited so I think he will be a little bit tame but probably not as tame as a domestic rabbit.

Latest posts

Back