Silver's Getting Neutered!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
I know, I said this last year too. But a while lot of thing change over the year. But he is for sure getting neutered! I will be dropping him off around 8:00 on Monday and picking him up around 3:00 that afternoon.

I am not changing anything in his diet, of course taking the shelve out of his cage, sending him with a blanket in his carrier that smells like me. Just a few questions.

How long should I keep him contained in his cage afterwards?

I have school the day afterwards, so he would be alone. Is this ok?

When he comes back from surgery what is best to feed him? He loves pellets but is it better to feed greens, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Good luck!! It's recommended to confine him for 2 weeks after, although I only managed about 1 week with my boys before I started feeling really bad for them all cooped up in there. :p He'll be alright alone unless he keeps bothering his stitches, in which case a cone may be necessary. Hopefully not though! Feed him whatever he'll eat. If he doesn't eat at all he'll need pain meds from the vet, but it will take him a while to start eating anyways as he'll be groggy from the anaesthesia for a few hours after. When my boys got home from the vet I opened their carrier and left it on the floor, and they didn't even try to come out for 15 minutes.

I'm sure Silver will take it like a champ! Don't forget to take some pellets and hay with him to the vets', his appetite will help them determine how much pain meds he'll need.

Yep, take some hay and pellets with you to the vet so that they can offer him some after he comes out of surgery. Bandit started eating even before he came home, so he did really well. My vet recommended a week of confinement, I think we managed four or five days, he just got so restless and I felt bad. He hadn't bothered his wound at all so I let him out. I think two weeks is longer than needed for a buck, but see what the vet says.

In regards to leaving him when you go to school, just make sure that he's eating, drinking and pooping well before you go, if he's not eating then I wouldn't leave him alone all day. Just offer him his normal food, and encourage him to eat whenever possible by offering it too him.

I would say keep him in the cage for the week following his surgery. Make sure you keep him WARM during recovery. Don't change his diet, it could cause digestive shock. Just feed him how you normally do. As far as him being alone for a few hours a day, it's actually ideal to minimize contact floor the first 3 days to avoid any stress or over excitement. Make sure water is easily accessible as well as his hay and food. Make sure you check his incisions every day for swelling, bleeding, or oozing. Make sure you ask the vet for pain medicine if they didn't offer it. Good luck!

Trigger was a loaf before neutering, so there wasn't much trouble with ol' Lumpy, Great Bunny bless his little soul. Everyone else has advice I would be repeating, so nothing to add but good luck.

Latest posts

Back