Silver, the spunky Netherland Dwarf

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnySilver

Bella - Owned by Silver
Reaction score
First off, I know that I have already started a blog for Silver before, but I feel like I left out too much of his story. I apologize for this and even though I can not delete the old blog, I thought maybe I could start a new one telling the whole story this time. ;)

Warning: Long and ranting

The Begining

I had wanted a bunny for a while. Actually, a year and a half to be exact. I researched, and had all the money set aside. The only problem was that being a teenager, I couldn't exactly make that decision without permission from my mom for a few more years. She would tell me all these negatives about owning a bunny, like about how it was going to stink, and what not.

One day in October, we were driving around and were right by our local crappy pet store. I wanted to go in and see if there were any bunnies in there. Sure enough as we walk in, there is a glass open top cage with about 8 young bunnies hopping around inside. As I look around at all of them, I wish that I could save them all and take them home with me, knowing that at a pet store, they will most likely go to live with non rabbit savvy people, or parents thinking that a bunny would be a good pet for their young children.

But, there is one in particular that catches my eyes. I see how tiny he is, with a soft gray coat of fur. I reach my hand down slowly into the cage and pick him up. He is calm in my arms and does not try to jump or escape. I look down at the sign: Blue dwarf, $50. I look down at him. I want him to have a home where he can be loved so much at that moment.

As my mom walks over, she sees me holding him. All I do is look at her. She sighs."How much is this one?" she asks the person walking around. The next thing I know, I'm picking out the biggest cage they have for him, ( which I got ripped off with as it was $150 in the store but only $60 online ) a bag of pellets, a bag of Timothy hay, litter, bedding, a toy, litter box, and a brush. The employee working there takes out a cardboard box with some holes in the sides and plops my new bun inside and closes the lid. I think about how he must be terrified inside that box right then. :(

As I get into the car, my new bunny sits in the front seat while the large cage is spread betweeen my little brother and I's laps in the back seats. At that moment, nothing could bring me down. I had my little bun that I had wanted for so long finally with me. As I was sitting there, I was thinking about what to name him. I thought that it should have something to do with the color of his soft gray fur. I simply decided to look up 'synonyms for gray' and the first thing that popped up was silver. Hmmm, Silver, I thougt. I like that! So that was what happened the first day I got him and how he got his name. :)
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395442965.517540.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395443032.552688.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395443072.405573.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395443116.267727.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395443154.199041.jpg

Last edited:
He's such a cutie :D A very beautiful rabbit, and I'm so glad that you were able to get a rabbit :)

Thank you very much! Yes I am very glad I was able to get him too. He has literally changed my life! The photos of him with the polk a dot background were taken earlier this afternoon. He is obsessed with the blanket and will not stop trying to dig and chew at it! :D

Silver is running around right now doing bunny 500's downstairs. He loves the weekends because he gets usually at least 6 hours a day of exercise on the weekends. Just wanted to share a cute photo I took a little while ago. Luckily, the cup was empty of green tea! :DImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395500219.447577.jpg
"Mmm this stuff looks good!"

Thank you all! Haha yes, I have learned that! Any magazine, napkin, or piece of paper below his jump point will be destroyed fairly quickly. I decided you finally set up a litter box with some hay and pellets downstairs for him so that he can stay down longer rather than having to go up to his cage in a few hours

Last edited:
Silver ran around for a while today and then decided he wanted some love. Just took a cute photo of him sitting in his litter box. I gave him many nose rubs and he rewarded me with some kisses. Pulled out the brush and did up his hair a bit. Sorry about the photo quality (didn't want to turn flash on him) and lack if updates this week! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1395873643.558996.jpg

Took a few pics today of him chillaxing on my bed. He likes it quite a bit, and as long as he decides not to use it as a litter box, he is welcome to come up any time! :DImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396104823.328392.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396104849.397783.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396104879.368075.jpg

I gave Silver a good salad today which consisted of lettuce, a spinach leave, carrots, and he got a raisin. He only got 3 hours to run around today though which makes me feel bad because the weekends are his days to run around for 6+ hours. :( He didn't get more than an hour either yesterday and I wasn't able to give him veggies either.

I feel terrible about it. Grrr why do I have to be so busy!? 😩 But I'm hoping that the good salad and many nose rubs made up for it a little. I'll make sure to let him run around for quite a while tomorrow, love you Silver.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, not too much has been happening though. Silver decided to explore more if the kitchen than usual today. He has always taken his exploring one step at a time ever since he was a little baby bun. When I first got him, he wouldn't go past the foot of my bed for months before he finally decided to venture on. And even when bringing him downstairs he would always stay under the dining table and never went into the living room or kitchen. He now will go into the living room, jump up in the couch, and will take a few steps into the kitchen.

But speaking of when he was just a little bunny, this Saturday, April 5th, he will be turning 8 months old. This means that I have had for 6 months ever since he was a soft tiny gray ball of fluff. While he has changed so much since then, he is still the same little love able, spunky, nethie that I met almost half a year ago. ☺️

Pictures from today in the kitchen exploration
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396478431.551053.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396478453.259835.jpg

Silver is FREAKING ADORABLE!!!! Why have I not seen Silver.

Hope Trix doesn't think I am unfaithful...

Thank you both so much!! Silver really appreciates the compliments! I'm sure Trix will understand! :D I will try to update more often than I have lately.

Yay!! Silver is 8 months old today which means I have had him for exactly half a year, or 6 months. Although it may not sound like a long time to some people, it feels like it has been much longer. He is still my (usually) sweet little baby bunny he was when I first got him.

But the reason I say usually is because he has become quite aggressive at times lately and I have no idea why. For example, a friend if mine was over a few day ago and Silver was sitting down next to me being perfectly fine. But then my friend gets down and brings her hand over to pet him and he instantly growls, lunges, and bites her. :(

He has been doing things like this a lot lately and I don't know why. I push his head down and tell him NO firmly when he does it. Just today I was petting him and he all of a sudden growled, lunged, and bit me. I know that neutering would help this and I plan to get him done, but I need to save up a bit more.

Oh and I have a few more exploration pictures from today

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396740458.486780.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396740477.806999.jpg
"Hmm where to go now?"
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396740528.935377.jpg
"I'll just sit right here."

Last edited:
That does sound like hormonal territorial behaviour. He is such a pudgy little cutie though! I wouldn't be able to stay mad at him! He looks at lot like my new Nethie rescue, Sasha. Those fat little necks are my favourite thing about Nethies, tbh. I don't know why.

Best of luck saving up for the neuter. Vet bills really are killer dollar for students, aren't they! T_T

Oh thank you! Yes that is what I am thinking too. He has been very nice lately though, which always makes me happy. Yes I love his fluffy little neck an the front view of his face!! Sasha is

very cute. Yes, I will probably be getting him neutered the second I have enough to do so.

On a more recent note though since I have not updated in a while, I took some Easter pics yesterday. Silver didn't like the basket though and kept jumping out until I put it up on a table. I was only able to get one good picture before he decided that he wanted to eat the tissue paper. ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397766659.016001.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397766688.375623.jpg
Fluffy cheek/chest pic!
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397766726.654435.jpg
"Mmmm this stuffs tastes pretty good!"

Yay! I'm quite happy today. I brought my bun Silver over to my dad's house yesterday night and he is quite happy and definitely not stressed. He gets to run around my room freely (I bunproofed everything) and loves having so much space. I'm quite happy that things are working out well and he did great last night too. :happybun:
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1397917270.430942.jpg

Latest posts

Back