Silas's Chin Ordeal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yield

leo (they/them)
Reaction score
[align=justify]Here is my thread for Silas's over all chin ordeal so you all can keep updated.

This is the first time I noticed the issue with his chin:
351an82.jpg

So we went to the vet, thinking maybe it had something to do with his teeth.

Our amazing veterinarian Dr. Parks said nothing appeared wrong with his teeth at first glance, but the damp spot was beginning to sore so she gave us an all natural medication called MalAcetic Octic, to put on it in case it was just a skin infection, and in two weeks we go back again to have her check it over.

Well, the medication appeared to just keep his chin damp, and even made him lick it and dampen it further. So it had begun to scab and become really nasty.

So he went back, and she found weird pea-sized balls in his chin, right above the "sore". She tried to take a sample but there was like, NOTHING in the sample, so she was unsure of it. She said to keep an eye on the balls and watch to see if his chin starts getting better if we took him off of the MalAcetic Octic.

It started to get better, but currently still feels a bit crusty- and sometimes is damp, sometimes not.

Silas has begun showing signs of possible snuffles- he keeps doing a "reverse sneeze". Sabriel has also been sneezing- he has for a little while. So we are going to do a round of Baytril for both Silas and Sabriel, but not Solara, for she has not shown any signs of sneezing *knock on wood* or other symptoms.

We will see if the balls in his chin improve at all during this process... if not, we will be putting Silas under anesthetic so Dr. Parks can shave the area and see what she sees. She said it could possibly be an abscess, and if it is that, she said the best thing would be surgery to remove or drain them, because they are so persistent and different from human/other animal abscesses. She said that he will be much safer under anesthetic if he has his possible snuffles treated. I am glad this came up because I've been meaning to get Sabriel on it.

I will update further soon.[/align]

just curious~how old is Silas? Ripley's a baby, that why I ask, but his chin as looked similarly wet. I'm guessing its just his water as sometimes he does do goofy stuff like sticking his chin to rest on something like that but I'm just curious, being that he has had snuffles symptoms before.

Silas is three years old (or so we were told).
Hmm, Sabriel's chin is usually wet after he eats, but when it's wet all the time (or most of the time) is when it's bad. Does he have a water bottle or bowl?

What of the snuffles symptoms did he get?

Here's to hoping it's not something serious. Poor Silas :(

Removing the abcess, if that is what it is, would be the best course of action. What a weird place to have it for treatment, though, they wouldn't be able to go about it like what we had done for Peace when he got that one on his leg.

Keep us updated for sure. Sending good vibes!

Abscesses on the chin are normally caused by tooth root problems. He most likely has an infected or abscessed tooth root.

Rabbit puss is super thick like toothpaste or cottage cheese. Which makes needle aspirations not very helpful because they rarely are able to actually get any of the puss to pull up into the needle.

I would advise getting your rabbit on anti-biotics as soon as possible to deal with the abscess and upper respiratory infection. Surgery is not always the best options. Antibiotics can successfully treat abscesses, but they need to be the correct antibiotic and the correct dosage.

If the antibiotics aren't doing the job, then pulling teeth may need to happen. Remove the cause of the infection.

Have a read through a couple of sections of our library for more information:

Upper Respiratory Infections:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16807&forum_id=10

Abscesses
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10

-Dawn

Yield wrote:
Silas is three years old (or so we were told).
Hmm, Sabriel's chin is usually wet after he eats, but when it's wet all the time (or most of the time) is when it's bad. Does he have a water bottle or bowl?

What of the snuffles symptoms did he get?
My bunny {Ripley} has had runny nose/eyes at times. Never bad really at all, and its gotten *tons* and *tons* better since I got him. Almost not noticeable most the time. I think his nose being wet is just a sign of oober curious baby (5 mo.old) bunny and a new water bottle. but I was just curious. :)

We recently had a rabbit with an abscess under the chin. Fussy had to have the abscess surgically drained and her lower incisors removed. She was kept on antibiotics for a full 3 months and is perfectly fine today. I wouldn't waste too much time getting this checked out. Abscesses grow quickly.

Latest posts

Back