Signs of pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphreditie70

Reaction score
hello! my 2dwarf bunnies are indoorsand penedsepreately. theyget out to play severaltimes a week.we havea female sniffers who is 1 yrold , and a male thumper who is about 6mths old. today when i let themout as uaual and cleaned their cage i noticed siffers had been nesting.i also noticed she ran away from thumper when she was out.now they have been mounting for a few mths with no reproduction. whichi figured was due to thumper not being mature yet. And he had a time offiguring it out. LOL so im wondering if she is pregnant or faking it.so is there other signs of pregancy that i can watch for?

i have been breeding hamsters for yrs. and right now i have alittler of 3 that are 2 1/2 weeks old and i also have twoother females due this month. a black bear due 7/13 and apanda bear due 7/27. i am new to breeding bunnies. we also have 3kittens that have made friends with our bunnies as well. below is a picof thumper meeting babe the kitten. LOL the funny thing is the bunniesare bigger then the kittens. lol

Well considering bucks tend to mature before 6months of age, I'd say your doe is probably pregnant. Don't let themout together anymore and see if you can get your buck neutered if youdon't want babies.

i think she is preggers too as i can feel herteets. im guessing she must of got preggers last month. i do wantbabies. so no need to get them fixed. i work at a pet store. thats oneof the reasons i breed my hamsters (i have 10 hamsters). for work butmostly pleasure. and as i mentioned i also have 3 kittens aswell as 2 fish tanks and 5 birds. i love animals and am very exicted tosee my sniffers have babies. i will post pics when she does.

You shouldnt just breed your buns for pleasurebecause there are already too many unwanted rabbits in shelters aroundthe world.. Do you have a breeding lisence? Also if you are going tosell them in the petstore...well, bunnies sold at petstores dont end upin the best of homes.

Dont worry they wont end up in shelters. and yesif i take them to work A PET SHOP. they will be taken care of by me andi will see to it they get a good home. if not i will keepthem.I may be new to breeding bunnies but i am verypicky about how i breed my animals and wouldnt do so with out carefulthought to finding good homes. i bought thumper from work. sniffers wasan easter present for my son from his grammy. i wouldnt buy apet from any other store. im not one to buy a pet and then get rid ofit. i am a responsible adult whois ananimal lover. i am not into breeding out of greed for money i do it forpleasure. because i enjoy bringing new life and watchingthemgrow. i treat my animals like theyare my children.

And like i do for breeding my hamsters i will keep a journal of myrabbit breeding as well. and i will carefully plan eachbreeding.

yes some pet stores are bad but we are not all bad. there are storeslike ours that care about our animals and we take good care ofthem. We dont sell dogs because of puppy mills, we dont havecats. althought we are going to work with the spca to help find homesfor thier cats by caring for them at work and letting people see them.we dont sell feeder mice or rats. only for pets andthen theyare a special order. we dont have snakes unless they are a specialorder.

Hello, :)

Here are some sites you should look at before she gives birth:

The Bunny - From Conception to Weaning and Breeding Basics

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=5541&forum_id=1

KINDLING

http://islandgems.net/kindling.html

Are you cut out to be a breeder?

http://islandgems.net/petorbreeder.html

Nest boxes

http://islandgems.net/nestbox2.html

How bunnies grow up

http://islandgems.net/development.html

Hand feeding orphans

http://islandgems.net/handfeeding.html

Birth and kindling issues

http://www.welshrabbitry.com/birth.html

This one is my thread, itsabout a mother who wouldnt feed her babies so I had to take 2 hours outof my day to hand feed them all

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=6320&forum_id=1

Kindling issues and other various fasts

http://www.bunnyrabbits.org/bunnylove/babybunnies.htm

The hidden cost of breeding

http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/hidden-cost-of-breeding.html

Domestic Baby Bunnies and Their Mom

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

Definitely dont let them play any more,she could already be having a double pregnancy. If you let them playtogether after she gives birth he will get her pregnant right away, andthat is VERY stressfull on the doe. Also make sure that the buck cantaccess the cage where the babies will be born, he will kill them. Keepthe doe and the buck seperate until the babies are 8 weeks old and haveleft the house.

~Amy

thanks for the links, ive read a fewlast nite. i have two Rabbitbooks and only onetalks about breeding. i have also been printing info (such as behavor,cooling,toys etc)off the internet as well as the forum. ever since igot the bunnys in march. i even printed out extras for work. i also ama firm believer in educating myself about any animals i own. i makesure i have books, care sheets along with researching online.

My buns came from pet stores. I feel that they are in a wonderful home.

That is great!

Like i said before, Not all Pet stores are bad. There are petstores that have knowledge about the animals they sellandtake good care of them. Like the pet store (Animal Specialties) where iwork. we are not your average chain. WE are a small pet store thatcares about our animals. each of us thats works there have animals thatwe specialize in. for example I am known as "the Hamster Lady". since ibreed them; i am the one that knows more about them, i also know alotabout fresh water fish,especially Oscars,Goldfish,plecos,channel catsand maintaining an aquairum.birds(cockatiels,Parakeets) Im always learning more about the pets wesell. My mom works there too and is the Fish expertAKA "The Fish Lady".My boss breeds andshowshavanees and lowchen dogs. We also give outcare sheets for all our pets.

I would say she most likely is pregnant.Iwould give her a nest box.I dont think your rabbits are purebred dwarfsthe ears are way too long.bluebird

yes i believe she is pregnant,gave her a nest boxand iam watching her closely. not sure when she is due.

Mymother in lawgot sniffers for my son for easter.all she knew was they were dwarfs. and how old they were. Thumper ibought from work. and all it says on the invoice is that they aredwarfs. doesnt sepecifybreed. but i do know from searchingand reading my books that there are different kinds of smallbreeds,medium breeds, and large breeds. Small breeds range from2.5 to 6.5 lbs,medium breeds from 6.5 to 9.5 lbs, and largebreeds 10 lbs. Sniffers is about 5 lbs. thumper isnt as big as sniffersyet. butbeing 6 mthshes getting there. He's prettyclose i think in another few months he'll be as big as she is.

when i got them i looked up breeds to try and figure out whatthey were. i aked on the forum also. with no true results; justguesses.yes i think they are mixed but they are pets not forshow. look at attachment (my first post) of thumper meeting babe thekitten and you can see how much bigger he got.

right now we have another grey dwarf (Just like Thumper almost the samemarkings) and a dutch dwarf at work. they are soo cute! i eventuallywant a pair of mini lops.

Heres a pic of thumper when i first got him. he loves to sit on back of couch. lol

Aphreditie70 wrote:
they will be taken care of by me and i will see toit they get a good home. if not i will keepthem.

how can you be sure they will go to good homes? :?

because customers that buy from us usually comeback. and become regulars to the store. and they tell me how they aredoing. i also give them a care sheet along with our business card withmy name on back if they have any questions. and i asked them to let meknow how they are doing. And if they have a problem they call us. wedont sell small animals for food.

no babies yet. Im begining to wonder if shespregnant or not. Is there any way to tell if its a fakepregnancy?i heared it may be fake if she nests two weeksafter mounting. if not i was going to try again. was thinking of givingher another week. i know shes been trying to hump the kittens when shesout.

its only been 10days since you posted youthought she may be pregnant ,It takes 31 sometimes a dayor so more , she wouldnt have babiesyet , and had you been reading youwould have known this , Whenexactlly did you breed her ,did you write down the date>? should have that way you willknow hte exact dateshse will kindle .

It doesnt matter whatpurpose your breeding her for ,but at least pay attention tobredding date and kindletime soo If something shouldgo wrong youcan handle it sooner.

Do you know how to palpate her? Ifnot, search on the web to read up on it. If you have troubledoing it right, ask a vet or a rabbit breeder friend to showyou. It lets you feel the babies or lack thereof.It might also give you a hint of upcoming problems (such as anabnormally large kit that may get stuck).

Like gypsy said, please read everything about breeding rabbits you canfind. And I do mean EVERYTHING. You said they weredwarf rabbits, so "peanuts" and "maxfactor" babies can be aproblem. Stuck kits, moms who attack or won't feed theirbabies, pregnancy toxemia (one forum member nursed her doe throughthis), kits with mucoid enteritis, and much more.

You may be experienced with breeding hamsters but rabbits are verydifferent. Please be prepared so you will know what's normaland when you need torush yourrabbitstothe vet.

thank youfor the reminder, I do knowit takes 31 days. I didnt get the chance to write the actual matingdown because i hadnt seen him actually get her. i was letting them out2 -3 times a week for playtime. they were showing mountingbehavior but thumper would fall off or get her head as Sniffers isbigger then thumper. so i didnt think anything came of it. they alsolike to hide under my endstand (thier favorite spot) when i noticed hernesting, the last timetheywere out,wasthe week before.

ive read the links above and bookmarked them. No i dont know how topalpate her. i know ive been searching and asking for signs ofpregnancy and signs of fake preganacy so i will know what to expect. Ieven asked a guy at the fair, he told me if its fakewhen thedoe nests two weeks after. i told him how she was nesting,repelled the buck, and her teets were showing but he said that is fromher pulling fur.i do know she hasnt pulled anymorefur. and doesnt seem to be nesting much lately. i took thenest box out for now as she kept shoving it out of the way. Socananyone tell me how soon do they start nesting? do theynest the whole time they are pregnant or right before kindle? will herbelly begin to bulge? if so when? in her last few weeks.right before kindle?

from the time i noticedher nesting,ivebeenalternating there playtime. Firstsniffers comesoutfor abit then she goes in and i let thumper out forabit.thumper doesnt like sniffer out with out him. he thumpsand scratchesin his cage. and if hes out andsniffer isnt hes chining her cage. its kinda funny to watch. I bought apair of Dutch bunnies at the fair this past week.mybuck Blaze is blue/white and Angel my doe is black/white. so im alsogiving them playime and working on introducing them to sniffers andthumper. thier pics are under MY NEW BUNNYS post.

im beigning to wonder if it isnt a fakepregancy. because she isnt nesting anymore. if anyone wouldbeso kindto im me (at yahoo my id isfairyaphreditie). And help me with this issue id appreciate it. i wouldlike to mate them again if she isnt pregnant.

Latest posts

Back