Siezure or Stroke?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crisi1987

Reaction score
Out of no where while my netherland dwarf was running around my room she started doing really weird things like falling over and dragging herself around and i dont know, being really spastic and not normal. i noticed when it was happening her left side didnt move at all. it seemed like that side of her body became paralized and she was going crazy because she didnt know why they werent working. when i held her i looked at her face and the left side was even really tight and it didnt move. do you think it was a siezure or a stroke or what?

she seems perfectly fine now. shes acting normal. shes not paralized anymore. it seemed to only last a minute. do you think this will happen again?

Let's hope not... but keep an eye on her.

If it does happen again, I would say there is some neurological imbalance... Seizures will normally affect the entire body ( I, myself, am Epileptic) - but strokes are more localized to one side of the body.

A visit to the vet would be in order if it happens again.

Poor thing- at least she's okay now. I'd take her to a vet and see what can be done. It may also be caused by a parasite called E. cuniculi, which can be treated. I have heard ofEC showing up like this. There are many other reasons for seizure if that is what it was, including exposure to toxic substances- has she gotten into household cleaners, house plants, anything?

I hear about this happening a lot. A bunny will get all 'crumpled' on one side, and then eventually 'uncrumple'. I guess rabbits can have strokes that aren't so debilitating.

I do keep hearing that theyseem prone to 'neurological problems', although I don't know exactly what that means.Genetics? Bugs?? :dunno

So many things to know.:sigh

SAS :huhand PIPP :bunny5

no she doesnt get into anything, we just got her a week ago. and she's been fine since. but we called a vet and he said it sounds like a mini stroke. we know somone who raises rabbits and she is going to look at her and tell us why it happened because shes had tons of rabbits who have had strokes like that. i just hope it doesnt happen again, it was scary

Crisi1987 wrote:
we know somone who raises rabbits and she is going to look at her and tell us why it happened because shes had tons of rabbits who have had strokes like that.
Strokes are really rare in bunnies- if she's having lots then there's something wrong. Either it's a genetic problem that she needs to work out of her breeding stock or she has problems with E. cuniculi infection or something similar. Even if she is a friend, I would be a little suspect simply because of how rare strokes and seizures are in young, healthy-appearing rabbits.

Welcome to the forum Crisi1987.

So sorry to hear that your bunnie is having some problems. Like some of the others, I would suspect a small stroke. Although it could be an infection or a genetic problem as well. IMO...if it happens again I would suggest a visit to the vet.

naturestee wrote:
Crisi1987 wrote:
we know somone who raises rabbits and she is going to look at her and tell us why it happened because shes had tons of rabbits who have had strokes like that.
Strokes are really rare in bunnies- if she's having lots then there's something wrong. Either it's a genetic problem that she needs to work out of her breeding stock or she has problems with E. cuniculi infection or something similar. Even if she is a friend, I would be a little suspect simply because of how rare strokes and seizures are in young, healthy-appearing rabbits.
Crisi1987 wrote:
shes only had one. im saying the lady i know has had rabbits who have had mini-strokes before
I'm pretty sure that naturestee is stating this in reference to the lady you know that raises rabbit. If she has had a lot of rabbits that have had strokes, then there may be something in the genetics that is being passed down from one rabbit to another in her herd. It could also be an infection in her herd that is being transmitted to the other rabbits.

~Jim

her rabbits have never been by eachother nor are they related at all. but i know that her and her family have raised hundreds of rabbits and have seen them have strokes before. thats what im trying to say. i dont mean that you know, all of them always have strokes all the time.

Crisi1987 wrote:
no she doesnt get into anything, we just got her a week ago. and she's been fine since. but we called a vet and he said it sounds like a mini stroke. we know somone who raises rabbits and she is going to look at her and tell us why it happened because shes had tons of rabbits who have had strokes like that. i just hope it doesnt happen again, it was scary
I think that it is great that you're having a breeder look at your rabbit...then again - I am a breeder!

I am concerned though about a breeder who has seen lots of strokes....even if they're mini ones. I've talked to breeders who've bred for 20 years and seen it just a couple of times....if at all.

I'm not trying to attack the breeder - please don't take me wrong. Ok?

My concern is - if the breeder has something in her rabbitry that causes the mini-strokes - she may diagnose your rabbit with the same thing and it may not be true.

Let me give an example. Let's say that the breeder had some of the strokes because of the sanitary (or unsanitary) conditions of the rabbitry. They might say, "well....it is because of your cage conditions".

I guess what I'm trying to say is - in a case like this - I'd really trust a vet over a breeder <GASP from everyone on the board - right?>.

I lost a rabbit from a seizure a number of days ago....one minute it was fine - 20 minutes later it was dead. I was actually in the process of calling the emergency vet with one hand and singing and holding her in my arms when she died....

Anyway - I wish you the best of luck with your rabbit. And once again - I'm not trying to insult the breeder or say they are wrong. But I'm thinking that the vet has access to techniques and can draw blood, etc. to tell what is happening more than the breeder can.

Peg

thats ok, i dont take any insult to the breeder or anything. how i was explaining things before it was hard for me to get my point across. i understand what your trying to see. but it is really hard to find a vet in my area that i can actually go to who knows a lot about rabbits. i dont want to pay a fortune for a check up. i know its a little bunnies life and i feel terrible about it. she seems perfectly fine now so im really hoping she'll stay fine and that wont happen again. or anything worse. im sorry about you losing your rabbit. this one is my first rabbit. i just got her a little bit ago and we thought she was a baby but she wasnt, a lot of help that pet store was. we went to the humane society to find out how old she was and they said shes about 7-8 months old. and we thought she was a baby. so right now were busy trying to find a good vet to get her spayed.

Did you ask the humane society about vets? One of my friends adopted from the Milwaukee Humane Society, and I think they may have given her a list.

they said theres a really good one in Sheboygen, they said if i cant afford a really good one that the vet office i go to, norwood, i might be able to do it there and they told me all these questions im supposed to ask them. which i did. they seem like they know about rabbits and i know some people that took their rabbits their to get spayed and/or neutored. and i guess it would be good there since they give you a free check up for the first time the new animal goes there, so then theyll do blood work and can see whats wrong with my rabbit. but i hope they dont find anything serious wrong.

Was it Dr. Travis at the Sheboygan Animal Hospital? That's who I go to. An office visit for a rabbit is $15-20 after the first one= extremely cheap for a vet.:) You most likely will have to pay for the testing, but the prices here are great. I'm surprised they're recommending that you drive all the way up here. I guess big cities are just too expensive.

If it is my vet, you can pm me for directions. It's pretty easy to get to from the interstate.:)

Crisi1987 wrote:
how much is it there for spaying and neutoring? the vet we go to normally says its 96 for spaying and 46 for neutoring
Are these rabbit savvy vets, or the standard cat/dog vets? Spaying here is about $100 plus any testing, I think neutering is less but I'm not sure- my only boy came neutered. Non rabbit-savvy vets around here quoted me cheaper prices, but I wouldn't trust them.

well me and my boyfriend each no a lot of people that took their rabbits to get neutored/spayed at norwood and they said they did a good job, and they havent lost any rabbits while doing surgery. plus we know the vet personally that does the surgeries and we trust him. hes the one thats done the other rabbit surgeries. we still havent decided where were going yet though. and about directions for sheboygen we can find it, my boyfriend bought this stupid GPS thing a while ago and he hasnt used it yet so im sure he'd be really excited to use it.

Latest posts

Back