Sierra Valley hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium

Jennifer
Reaction score
someone mentioned a little while back about sierra valley hay... I checked their prices and was surprised at how reasonable the costs (including shipping) were for large volumes of hay. I ended up ordering a thing of oat hay 'cause I'm displeased with the cost of oxbow's and that's the only thing other than alfalfa mine will eat, plus a thing of orchard/alfalfa blend, hoping that perhaps having alfalfa mixed in would make them eat it despite the fact that they wouldn't eat orchard before (for those times when I don't feel like picking all the **** oats out of the oat hay).

my hay arrived today, and I just unpacked it. until I saw the oats, I thought for a moment they had sent me timothy by mistake because the oat hay was SO green - oxbow's oat hay has no green at all, it's kind of a wheat color. this stuff looks SO different and it smells much stronger. the orchard also looks VERY different from oxbow's orchard hay and isn't quite as soft/thin (which may be what the bunns disliked about it).

normally, Nala and Gaz come running to inhale a pile of alfalfa, but with oat they kinda sniff at it, wander off, and come back to eat it later. not this time! they dove right in! I gave them some of the 80% orchard/20% alfalfa stuff too, and they started eating it right away! I've never seen them eat non-oat grass hay like that EVER.

I'm beyond impressed with the freshness of this hay and the fact that my girls are actually EAGER to eat it!

I also ordered a bundle of mint (which I didn't get, because right before I placed my order it froze and died, so they gave me a refund ><) and two bundles of willow sticks. the willow sticks are VERY fresh and a little pliable, not like willow toys you buy in the pet store. when I tossed a few in the pen, Nala quit eating hay and started going to town on a willow stick :D.

they're obviously a good bit more expensive than buying hay from a local feed store 'cause of the shipping cost, but for picky bunnies that won't eat what the feed store has to offer, I definitely recommend this place - my super-picky little brats give sierra valley hay their seal of approval!

http://www.sierravalleyhay.com/Orders.html

Great to know you and your bunnies love Sierra Valley hay! I have their orchard grass and I'm about to purchase some more since my rabbits are eating sooo much hay - I guess I never really noticed just how much they love hay until recently when I found myself constantly refilling the container with hay! I think I'm also going to purchase some of their willow sticks next time as well :)

considering how many willow sticks come in a bundle and that they're the same price as one little 4'' willow ball from petsmart, I highly recommend them!

I don't think its fair that its like $10 cheaper if you live in a western state! haha. I know why, but I live in an eastern state and its pretty pricey hay! lol
I'm so glad your girls like it. I bet its really good.

I can't believe how much hay they're eating!! I've refilled their hay SO many times already and they're eating ALL of it! it's insane... I never dreamed switching brands of hay would make such a massive difference! I'm thrilled to have them finally chowing down on hay like they're supposed to :D

and yeah, the eastern/western thing kinda sucks... I'm super glad I'm in one of the cheaper states, since it seems this is the only grass hay they'll eat.

Latest posts

Back