Side effects of wrongly administered myxo jab?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
I just received a phone call from someone I sold two rabbits to about 2 weeks ago.
He had them vaccinated against myxomatosis last Friday and they have been taken ill since they got home, not eating and at this stage they are very subdued.
I asked the owner how the vaccination was done and he said the vet put the whole dose into the neck. Our regular vet is on holidays and this is only someone covering for her and I have no idea what her experience is. My rabbits are vaccinated regularly and I must have watched several dozens of vaccinations and my vet always puts a little part of the vaccine in the ear. From what I have read it is vital that a small part is given under the skin for the vaccine to be effective.
My question is now can the vaccine do harm if the full dose is injected in the neck?
Is it possible that this caused the rabbits illness?
I have offered to cover the vet bill if it turns out that they are ill due to something they have contracted in my rabbitry but if an ill administered vaccine is to blame that would be a different story. Any advice would be appreciated.

I asked the question on some UK forums and I think I have come up with some answers:

Some vets seem to administer the intradermal part of the injection by withdrawing the needle at the the end so for someone watching it may look as if the whole lot went into the neck. I assume the new vet did it this way. My vet usually chooses to administer the last bit seperately into the ear.

From what I have heard is that even if the intradermal part was left out it should not do the rabbits any harm at the worst the vaccine won't be as effective.

Basically the injection can't really be blamed but it is likely that the rabbits had a lowered immune system already.

P.S. The two rabbits are going home today.
I will be back at the vet's on Monday as their mum is continuing to have eye problems that started the day after she received her myxo jab about a months ago (see my more recent thread in this section).
I am really beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with the vaccine rather than the way it was administered. It is just too strange a coincidence!

Latest posts

Back