Sick stray! (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpuckett

Reaction score
See previous thread for details http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=63108&forum_id=1

Today someone caught a rabbit in the parking lot of a mall and, long story short, someone gave it to me because I'm pretty knowledgeable about the bunnies.

The little guy is at least partially lionhead, between 4 and 6 months old, has nibbles a bit of kale and eaten about 5 cheerios today, no poops, no pees, and has been what i thought wasvery tame and not afraid of anything.

The little guy (i think, possibly a girl) just had a seizure, eyes rolling back in the head and unable to get back on his feet. Held him (still holding him now)and he isn't rolling anymore, but he is keeping one eye closed.

I know seizures can cause blindness and are generally caused by many kinds of parasites among other things. I am now afraid what i thought was tameness might be a relaxing of the will to live. called a vet, waiting on a callback.

what else can/should i do?

(sorry about the poor spelling punctuation, typing one handed)

rpuckett wrote:
See previous thread for details http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=63108&forum_id=1

Today someone caught a rabbit in the parking lot of a mall and, long story short, someone gave it to me because I'm pretty knowledgeable about the bunnies.

The little guy is at least partially lionhead, between 4 and 6 months old, has nibbles a bit of kale and eaten about 5 cheerios today, no poops, no pees, and has been what i thought wasvery tame and not afraid of anything.

The little guy (i think, possibly a girl) just had a seizure, eyes rolling back in the head and unable to get back on his feet. Held him (still holding him now)and he isn't rolling anymore, but he is keeping one eye closed.

I know seizures can cause blindness and are generally caused by many kinds of parasites among other things. I am now afraid what i thought was tameness might be a relaxing of the will to live. called a vet, waiting on a callback.

what else can/should i do?

(sorry about the poor spelling punctuation, typing one handed)
are you 100% sure it was a seizure and not the "dead bunny flop" (which is done out of joy?) when my baby first did it i freaked out and thought he had had a seizure...

Yeah, roxi used to dbf,so ive seen it before. he was kicking and trying hard to right himself and couldnt and his eyes were rolling. now he is barely listing his head and will only open one eye just a sliver.

take him to a vet asap. i wouldnt reccomend waiting for your vet to call you back. if you dont have the money often vets are very good with doing discounts for strays/payment plans etc

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

This is an emergency vet thing. A number of things could be wrong, but it will take a vet to figure them out. In addition, a vet can give anti-seizure medication and supplemental fluids to help stabilize him to get more time to figure out what is wrong.

It sounds like there is some sort of neurological problem, and if I had to bet, I would say ear infection that is putting pressure on the brain. An ear infection can also lead to systemic toxicity if the infection leaves the ear area and goes into the blood stream, which could cause seizures. I am pretty sure an ear infection is involved, either that or traumatic brain injury, because of the head movements you described. Seizures can also come from nutritional problems, so if it was eating trash for a while as a stray, that could be the cause of the seizures. I still think there would be an ear infection on top of that.

Sorry, I didn't have access to the internet for the past couple of days.

The little guy didn't make it. We rushed to the emergency vet, and the vet couldn't find a way to control the seizures. By the end of the night, he could even hold his own head up or eyes open. He was a sweet buns and will be dearly missed.

Binky free handsome little man.

Latest posts

Back