Sick Rabbit : - (

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!So far, so good! :highfive:

Word of warning -- I took Pipp back to the vet because he appetite never did come back fully to my liking,she'd eat the grated carrot, oats and apple. :popcorn2

The diagnosis was SBS ... Spoiled Bunny Syndrome. And the vet was right! Once I stopped the pamper treatment, she fussed for a day or so and then went back to pellets and greens. :eats:

sas :biggrin: and pipp :bunnybutt:

Hello

Bonnie is looking and acting much better today - she is hardly grinding her teeth and has been picking at food all day (with a reduced dose of painkillers) - I'm delighted! The vet seems quite happy with her as well although there is still a chance she may get an infection but lets hope not :)

D

Good to hear she's feeling better!

I'm actually dealing with the same problem right now. I'm rebonding Fey and Sprite because Fey had to be separated for a while after an accident. You might need to rebond them all over again. But first, you could try putting a little vanilla on both of them so they smell the same. Biggles may be upset because he is smelling icky vet smell on her.

Hi There,

Bonnie has taken a turn for the worse today. She was doing so well yesterday, eating plenty of food and drinking plenty. She was almost back to her old self. Even this morning before we went to work, we gave her some food and she ate a fair bit, but when we came home after work she was just sitting in her hutch and her nose wasn't moving very much. She was just completely listless.

We took her to the vet and she was checked out. The vet took her temp, felt her gut, etc, but there was nothing apparently wrong. She was not moving about much at all and didn't put up a fight when we tried to pick her up. The vet gave her some more meds and said to see how it goes tonight.

She ate a little when she came home, but she isn't herself at all. She does move around a little from time to time, but in between she just sits in a world of her own. Her ears also feel a little bit cold, although the vet said her temp was fine,so we put a warm water bottle in with her.

Any other advise would be appreciated. : - (

Debs And Bonnie

Hi Debs and Bonnie!

Sorry to hear that Bonnie isn't feeling too well.

Prayers and good thoughts sent your way!!

As for the cool ears:
For a proper body temp, check her temperature with a rectal thermometer: The ears regulate body temperature. If they start to feel cool to touch, there might be a chance that her body temperature could be falling. A normal rabbit temperature is 102-104 degrees F. Any temperature under 100 degrees F is a medical emergency. This means the rabbit's system is shutting down and she is going into shock. Grab a heating pad (on low) and wrap it around the bun. When you transport her, wrap her in warm blankets to help maintain her body heat.

~Jim

Oh no!

Could you ask your vet if she has any experience with abcesses? This is how rabbits usually deal with infections. They wall them off from the rest of the body, but they usually keep growing bigger. It's very different from dogs and cats, which have immune responses more like ours. You could also ask her about blood tests that would show an infection, such as white blood cell count and globulin. Check out this article:
http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/blood.shtml

I'm not a professional, I'm just guessing infection because of what happened to her.

What antibiotic is she on? There's a new treatment for abcesses that may help if she does have an infection. It is injected Bicillin, which is a type of penicillin. Just make sure your vet doesn't give you an oral prescription.

There's more info in the Health References sections here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11791&forum_id=10
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12043&forum_id=10

:purplepansy:

How is Bonnie? I just read this whole thread and am amazed that little Bonnie has gone through so much and done so well ....up to now. :(Please keep us up-dated as to how she is doing. She has been through so much. You know your vet shouldn't be charging you anything for treatment considering that he/she made a surgical error. I hope that Bonnie recovers well after this setback:pray::pray:

Hello again!

The saga continues!!

Last night was looking terrible, she wasn't moving, she was cold and her stomach was completely swollen.We went to bed saying goodbye to her cause I didn't think there was anyway she would make it through the night. Never really slept at all and at about 3am we gave in and went through to see her - thinking the worst.

Well to our surprise she was sitting up eating hay!! Couldn't believe our eyes!! We went back to bed still not convinced that she was going to be okay, I went through again to see her 5.45 when I got up for work and she was still awake and looking brighter. I said 'goodbye' to her in the morning again just in case the worst happened - as we agreed last night that if she was still alive in the morning and looking so ill, we would put her out of her misery.

My boyfriend took her to the vets in the morning and the vet was completely shocked. She thought her swollen stomach might have been that her insides had burst and expected her to be dead by the morning. We said that we thought there may have been a blockage in her gut as she was doing no poops and the vet said that this was possible as the stitches may restrict the food going thru the gut.

So, at the moment she is sitting in her room reasonably bright having a wonder around (and relaxing!). We aren't giving her large amounts of food at one time but she is grazing throughout the day and has done loads of poops this afternoon.

Obviously she still isn't out of the woods as an infection might happen yet but she is a strong little thing!! I don't think our emotions can handle much more!! :)

Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Will keep you posted on her progress!!

Debs and Bonnie

Hi there

Bonnie is doing okay, she has been feeling better over the last few days and the vet still seems quite happy with her. She is still on antibiotics and painkillers tho.

We had her at the vet today and she said she is looking bright and said that all being well it could be her last visit on Monday! That would be great but things can go down hill so quickly with rabbits anything could happen between then. :(

The next task will be to re-bond her and Biggles!! That should be great fun ;) Biggles has turned into a right grump and doesn't like anyone! I do feel sorry for him though as he is having to sleep in our bedroom just now while she gets better and he doesn't like that! But if hehadn't turned on Bonnie he could have been cuddling up in bed with her.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again for your help and advice

Bonnie and Debs

My vet is Wi didn't have meloxicam and I was used to getting it in Chicago for the buns so I kind of pushed her a little saying thats probably what he needed and she got it from another clinic.

And so the story goes on................

Bonnie has been doing so well, eating, drinking, munching on hay, playing etc, etc until tonight! We popped out for a few hours and before we left we gave her some food (she was dancing round my feet waiting for it) and when we came home she came out of her cage and was all wobbly on her feet. She ran back up to her bed and sat in a hunched up position like the other day, nose not twitching, looking sad.

It's weird as she was doing really well and she was at the vets for the last time yesterday (unless something went wrong!) and the vet was really happy with her. She was off her pain killers and still on her antibiotics for a few more days! The only thing we can think of is the last time she had a gut stimulant was Saturday, she went down hilll last wednesday and she hadn't been given her stimulant then either. Her stomach doesn't feel bloated like it did the other day but she hasn't been doing as many poops as she should have.

She's just been at the vets and had another stimulant, so I guess it's another sleepless night for us!! The worst thing is I can't be at home with her tomorrow (providing she makes it thru the night), I already had two days off last week to look after her and my work wouldn't be happy if I took more! My boyfriend Gav is going to pop down every couple of hours to make sure she is okay.

Her and Biggles had just started getting along again - they were licking each other and cuddling in last night :(

Bonnie, Biggles and Debs

Hello everyone

Bonnie died last night :cry2Poor wee girl tried sooo hard but I think it was just all too much for her.

We heard a noise just as we were going to bed last night and Gav went thru and saw her gasp her last breath. She looked so peaceful once she was gone. We are absolutely heart broken (been crying all day at work) but we realise now that she mustn't have been okay afterall. We kinda think that maybe Biggles knew all along how ill she was and that's why he didn't like being near her.

We burried her in a box with some hay, treats and some toys and she was wrapped in a towel to keep warm :)

Thank you all so much for your help and advice it really helped us and kept us strong and positive.

Debs and Biggles xx

I am so very sorry. She (and you too) went through so very very much. You took such wonderful care of her and I'm sure that she knew that she was loved. She had so many "ups and down" that I thought maybe that she would make it but the extent of the problem was probably too much for her. I feel so sad for you :bigtears::no:

Oh no. How very sad. I'm so sorry.You did all that you could. Some things are out of our hands. :(

Latest posts

Back