Sick rabbit with other rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacanulty

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently posted a post about my rabbit, Diesel, who had contracted e. cuniculi.
I was wondering since he was bonded with another rabbit could I introduce them together again?
His treatment was started on February the 1st and is supposed to be given for 28 days.
Also, does this mean he will still be carrying e. cuniculi and could therefore spread it on to my other pets?

Did the vet do a blood test to verify that it actually is e. cuniculi causing the hind limb paralysis? Or is there any other reason why the vet is presuming this is EC and not being caused by something else? Has he showed improvement since starting the EC treatment(fenbendazole?) and what kind of improvement?

So they were a bonded pair before and they've been separated? If so, for how long?

Did the vet do a blood test to verify that it actually is e. cuniculi causing the hind limb paralysis? Or is there any other reason why the vet is presuming this is EC and not being caused by something else? Has he showed improvement since starting the EC treatment(fenbendazole?) and what kind of improvement?

So they were a bonded pair before and they've been separated? If so, for how long?
The vet examined his spine to see if he had any spinal injuries that were causing paralysis, which ruled out spinal injury. Then they took a urine sample to test for EC . This was positive.
Yes, he has shown improvement. He has become more active, even with his paralysis.
I separated them at the time I first suspected EC as it is easily spread. This was the 31st of January.

I would not have separated them. As they were bonded, the mate is already infected and should be treated with a 28 day course of Panacur too. In the UK we normally do a blood test (which can distinguish between chronic and active infection) for EC. Hope Diesel gets better soon.

Latest posts

Back