Sick bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M923

Reaction score
i´m worried about my bunny, he´s is almost 6 years old and recently some of his poops are soft and a little bit wet or he’s also been having diarrhea (almost everyday in the past 3 weeks maybe). I took him to the vet on the first week, she examined him and did a blood test and everything was fine, he had an ultrasound scan too, the vet took a sample of his poop and she also said it was ok. He’s behaving normally but I’m worried about him, the vet prescribed a probiotic, but after this he was still having this issues and today his poops were very small and I found some of his cecotropes(?). Again, vet said apparently everything was fine and it could be a problem with his back but I’ve seen him eating his cecotropes lately (he´s ok with arching? his back).

Also, he doesn´t really eat hay, only pellets (Brit) and veggies, I tried introducing him to hay bit he just wouldn´t eat (I tried sprinkling apple/banana juice, mixing different types and even gave him a different brand gradually (Versele-Laga) but he completely ignored it).

While it's really hard to guess what is going on without a lot of information, the problem does sound dietary, even if he is experiencing arthritis that could impede his ability to arch his back. Hay is an extremely important part of a rabbit's diet, so finding a way in which he will eat it is very important. Have you tried offering a nicer hay (mine really like the Oxbow sold in bags, even if it's on the expensive side) and somewhat limiting pellets to see if it's not a taste aversion. He may be getting enough pellets and greens that he doesn't feel the need to eat any more hay, even if it is vital to his health.

Has his eating and/or drinking reduced at all, or is he eating the exact same amount of pellets and veggies as usual, and how long has he been on this diet? Any drooling or odd chewing behaviors? Did the vet do a thorough dental exam, and did the vet actually check him for arthritis?

By diarrhea do you mean his fecal poop is watery or pudding like and you aren't seeing any normal round fecal balls, or you are seeing mushy poop in addition to normal round fecal poop, and mixed in with it or separate?

Latest posts

Back