Sick bunny x-rays

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bville

Reaction score
My bunny Pepper started acting sick today.
She wasn't coming out of her hut and her eyes were squinty. I had my husband take her to the vet and they took an x-ray.
The vet said there is a large mass around her stomach, but she didn't know what it is. Pepper's temperature was dropping so they basically said she is not going to make it. I have attached pictures of the x-rays to see if anyone has had experience with this kind of thing and may know what the mass is.

3504_20738_1_s0.jpg

3504_20738_2_s0.jpg

I'm sorry that Pepper isn't feeling well. These are definitely interesting radiographs. Her stomach definitely looks dilated to me though I don't think I can make out a discrete mass. Were any other treatments or diagnostics done?
Has she been eating? I'd expect to see more ingesta in her stomach.
Unfortunately low temperature on intake is a poor prognostic indicator in rabbits. How cold was she?
Where are you located?

She was eating up until yesterday. Now she is just drinking some water from time to time. Her temperature at the vet was 96.7. They said we could take her to Cornell to try to save her, but it would be expensive and my husband really got the impression from them that she was dying and it would be a long shot for her to survive any treatment. I'm glad we had the x-ray done because we can see that there is a mass there and that is what the problem is. I would just like to know what it is. The vet couldn't say for sure. She said it could be one of several things. The bottom line is that its big and she is not doing well, so we have made our peace with that.

It's hard to say what most growths/tumors are without looking at them under a microscope, unfortunately. IF she is an intact female, my best bet would be a metastasis from a uterine or ovarian cancer. However, that would be impossible to say without actually doing a biopsy of the tissue.

We are sending our love and support to you guys.

IF she is an intact female, my best bet would be a metastasis from a uterine or ovarian cancer.

We got her from the SPCA and they said she was spayed. I have always wondered if they actually did it because she was very territorial and made a nest a couple of times. Thank you for your support.:brown-bunny

Are you in Cicero Ill?? If so there is an emergency exotic clinic in Skokie which is excellent. My friend in Berwyn takes her bunnies there I might want to get a 2nd opinion. usually when a bun has a low temp the vet will try to warm her up...not just leave it. :-(

Latest posts

Back