Sick bunny? Bloated?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissy

Reaction score
Hi, this morning before I went to work I fed my rabbit, I didn't notice much wrong, thought she was chilling in her cage as usual, got home noticed she was acting strange, I always let her run around the living room for exercise she wouldn't let me pick her up. She was grunting and squealing, her stomach area seemed to be giving her discomfort, noticed also she hasn't eaten or pooped. She's also been resting her fluffy neck in her water dish, drenching her fur. My mum told me that she was fine around 6am before I had work and she ate abit of carrot. This has happened before. I didn't take her to the vet because she recovered. I just hate seeing her in discomfort, is there anything I can give her ? Or take her to a vet?

After 12 hours not eating or drinking is considered an emergency and needs to be taken to the vet ASAP. If your regular vet is open in the afternoon, I would see if you can make her an afternoon appointment. and if she is eating normally by then she will be ok and you can just cancel the appointment. if she is still eating scarcely then continue to take her. Because by 7 pm tonight will be about the 12-hour mark it will be harder to get into a vet at that moment and you would have to pay an emergency vet that's why I say go ahead and make an emergency appointment for this afternoon. Right now all you can do is try and give her her favorite things and give some baby gas drops. One dropper full every hour for three hours. You could also do belly rubs.

After 12 hours not eating or drinking is considered an emergency and needs to be taken to the vet ASAP. If your regular vet is open in the afternoon, I would see if you can make her an afternoon appointment. and if she is eating normally by then she will be ok and you can just cancel the appointment. if she is still eating scarcely then continue to take her. Because by 7 pm tonight will be about the 12-hour mark it will be harder to get into a vet at that moment and you would have to pay an emergency vet that's why I say go ahead and make an emergency appointment for this afternoon. Right now all you can do is try and give her her favorite things and give some baby gas drops. One dropper full every hour for three hours. You could also do belly rubs.

I managed to speak with an online vet, she suggested syringe feeding her, which I've done and she's taking without much fuss. She doesn't seem to be squealing anymore when I rub her belly, just waiting on her to poop. I was considering taking to a vet but being so late the consultation fee is well over $200. She's hoping around her cage, which is improvement from being hunched over her water dish. I'll still look into see a vet. Thank you

- Update
I've been watching her all night, she hadn't eaten. Managed to syringe feed her some grinded pellets and water. She has pooped alittle and munched on some greens and hay. She's pooped finally but they're tiny compared to regular poo size. Her mood has changed as well, she's hopping out the cage and being curious,I've been massaging her every hour. She's still grinding her teeth time to time so I know she's still in discomfort. Also couldn't get into a vet in the morning was completely booked. Photos below show the poo, if anyone can tell me if its a good sign?

Attachments

• 15815703813454189212548743281347.jpg
    15815703813454189212548743281347.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
Try belly massage like in video and baby gas drops or make some tea with fennel or dill seeds and give a few times a day (without seeds, don't add any sugar etc).
It takes time and love but it is not impossible. If you get to a vet they can prescribe some stronger medicine I don't remember names as never used. Fennel tea and belly massage helped, also make her exercise as much as you can it also stimulate her gut moving.
I adopted a rabbit a few months ago and he was all bloating and his poos were very tiny and maybe 10 per day, it took a week before he recovered. He's all good now. Hopefully your girl will get better soon please keep us updated

If she eats greens you can soak them in water for a few minutes so she'll get more water with them. Best would be romaine lettuce but any green leafy would work, I find that mint is very good, I give fresh or dried, dried chamomile, see what you have there

Here's my thread I did some research and posted there might be useful to you, good luck
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/new-rabbit-fat-and-tiny-poos.96554/

Keep syringe feeding too. Do u have any critical care? Otherwise ground up pellets. Massage gently and keep that gut moving. G.I stasis is a horrible thing.

Update - I've been belly massaging her every hour, she has pooped more and it's looking healthy. She's also eaten too, I've been giving her water through the syringe to keep her hydrated.

Latest posts

Back