Shy Bunny - Hoping to Warm Up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbunnyy

Reaction score
Hi!

Today I got a new bunny who is a Lion Head mix, but they (not sure of the gender yet) are very shy. The first bunny I owned was used to people and was very sociable right off the bat so I'm not sure what I should do in order to build up proper trust. Currently Pickles (name still being worked on,) has been eating and drinking, grooming etc. but hasn't pooped yet. (I'm fairly sure this is just because of nerves but I'm definitely monitoring it). Pickles always shies away when I near the cage. Giving them some space to get used to their surroundings right now but I was wondering if anyone recommended anything to help us bond!!

Thank you so much!
<3 Jess

Hello congrats on your new friend! :) My advice would be to not carry or grab your rabbit a lot. They could get stressed out. Let them come to you. Try laying down on the floor and letting them come to you. You could try hand feeding them to bond together. That really worked for me and my rabbits. Lastly have patience. It will take some time for your rabbit bond. So don't expect to bond right away. Oh and please don't chase them. They get really stressed. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hello congrats on your new friend! :) My advice would be to not carry or grab your rabbit a lot. They could get stressed out. Let them come to you. Try laying down on the floor and letting them come to you. You could try hand feeding them to bond together. That really worked for me and my rabbits. Lastly have patience. It will take some time for your rabbit bond. So don't expect to bond right away. Oh and please don't chase them. They get really stressed. Hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much for the help, my bunny ate some hay out of my hand this evening and now they are relaxing in their cage. Gonna give them space until tomorrow and then try out the floor thing!

Hi!

Today I got a new bunny who is a Lion Head mix, but they (not sure of the gender yet) are very shy. The first bunny I owned was used to people and was very sociable right off the bat so I'm not sure what I should do in order to build up proper trust. Currently Pickles (name still being worked on,) has been eating and drinking, grooming etc. but hasn't pooped yet. (I'm fairly sure this is just because of nerves but I'm definitely monitoring it). Pickles always shies away when I near the cage. Giving them some space to get used to their surroundings right now but I was wondering if anyone recommended anything to help us bond!!

Thank you so much!
<3 Jess
Official bunny name decisions are in! Luna if it's a girl and Apollo if it's a boy! <3

Congratulations on the new bunny! I also got a new rabbit (a friend for Apollo). For the first few days, because they’re shy-er let them settle into their new house, but after two or three days, try hand feeding their pellets.
Athena at the moment, is letting me feed her and she’s letting herself climb on top of me but not touch her. Another thing that has always worked with me is sitting or laying on the floor, and ignore them (read a book, watch a movie). Generally rabbits are quite curious and will want to climb on you and explore. I also recommend clicker training! It’s a really fun way to bond!
You’ll definitely need to be patient and take time while bonding - as it’ll depend on your rabbits personality

Hi!

Thank you so much!
<3 Jess
We just got our bunny 3 weeks ago and of course we’re desperate for him to love us instantly, didn’t quite happen LOL He spent the first 2 days pretty terrified hiding in the corner of his cage or in his hidey house. But each passing day became more curious, adventurous and comfortable with us. We just sat in his pen or beside his cage a lot letting him get used to us and daily he became more trusting and social. We’re still working on picking him up. Congratulations!!!

Latest posts

Back