Showing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylover78642

Reaction score
WANT TO SHOW LEO!!

What do you wear to a show?

How do you prepare the rabbit?

Do you need your own cage?

How do you enter a show?

I want to go to a show in Seguin on the 18th but I am not sure if I should enter Leo. I am not even sure how. It is an ARBA show hosted by; SAN ANTONIO RBA... I am not sure what RBA stands for either...

Here is what the details say;
Start Date: 3/18/2006
End Date: 3/18/2006
Club: SAN ANTONIO RBA
Secretary: MACK C KELLER
5027 LANCELOT
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78218
Show Type: YOUTH ALL BREED SHOW

So I need to contact the above number?

How much do I pay to get in the show or is that a question I ask him?

How long do shows usually take?

What am I going to need to bring?

Wow...so many questions....lets see here:

Ummm... There is no dress clothes that you have to wear but remember, rabbits like to spray and pee so wear something that you don't care if it gets peed on. Most people wear jeans and a sweatshirt. I also bring a change of clothes for the ride home.

The rabbit: Basically, groom it so it looks its best. Make sure it has a legible tattoo in its ear and its nails are clipped.

You need to bring your bunny in solid bottom cage or carrier.

You need to contact that person....he will know how much. Ask him to send you a catalog. Ask him to email it to you...it is faster. RBA stands for Rabbit Breeders Association.

Shows generally start by 9am and are usually done by 5pm but could be later. You are allowed to leave at any time. Unfortunately if you leave before your breed is up you still can't get your money back. Generally each rabbit is about $3.00 to enter.

What breed and color is your bunny? Does it have a tattoo in its ear? If you post a pic, I may be able to help you more.

Hope this helps.....Sharon

I am going to be at the Seguin show - I don't remember exactly the details but I think you have to be there by 8:30 or 9 am and have him registered. You will also have to have a tattoo in his ear before he is shown - sometimes there will be folks there who can do this.

If I remember right, the entry fee is $4.50 per rabbit. You bring your rabbit in a carrier or something and when your breed is called - you take your rabbit to the coops and find the one with your comment card you filled out when you entered the show and you put him in it.

I don't remember if Seguin is a double-show or not this time. It was originally going to go two days but I've heard its down to just one day.

I imagine you won't get out of there till close to 5 pm depending upon when your breed is called and how well your rabbit places.

Definitely bring lunch - or money to buy lunch - and you'll want to bring water for your rabbit and maybe a bit of hay or something.

Peg

Leo has to be registered? Maybe I cant show him... I was told he didn't need to be registered and have a tattoo for showing him. To bad... He has a pedigree but it is packed (we are moving) but should I see about getting him tattooed there and then wait for the next show to show him?My bunny is a red bunny with a pure white belly (You can see him in "Bunny Blogs; Home Page") There is no tattoo in his ears. I heard the show was one day... I think according to the ARBA website is was down to one day.And I dont have a solid bottom carrier that you can see through (like wire) it is plastic covered in fabric (with the red, purple, and other colored animals on it)So I guess I am definelty not prepared for this. I will maybe wait to the April show if I can... Ther are 2 on the 8th and 22nd.

The show in Belton on the 8th of April is a "coop show" - which means you must preregister by March 10th and have the rabbit there by 9 pm the night before. I don't remember the rest of the details. I'm not going - although I'd like to - because Tex Thomas will be there and I'd like to meet him since he is head of the Standards committee for ARBA. However, that's just too much travelling for us.

You could put your rabbit in a cat carrier and bring him that way - he just has to have the bottom so that he can't pee on the floor, etc.

He doesn't need to be "registered" other than being "registered for entry" - meaning that you fill out the form to enter him. He does have to be tattooed for an ARBA show though. Usually there are folks there who can do tatoos...and I could probably bring my tattoo equipment.

Peg

spitfire wrote:
What is this thing about a 'solid bottom " carrier? Can't I use the 4 hole carrier with the wire bottom?
Wire bottom Carrier with a solid Tray bottom is okay...

"Solid Bottom" means just that, whatever the rabbits are in, it must have a solid bottom so not toleave pee & droppings behind ;).

(I think you may be confusing "Solid Bottom" for the term "Solid Floor")

AHHA! Yes I was confusing solid floor with solid bottom. lol. It's my first show on sunday and I'm a little freaked out. lol. Thanks!

Bunnylover, Leo is a Red Mini Rex Buck. If he is under 6 months old then he is a junior. If he is 6 months or older, he is a senior. So therefore your bunny is a Mini Rex - Red (insert senior or junior here) buck. You CAN show him with no tattoo in his ear however he will get disqualified. On the bright side, the judge will give his comments so you will get to see how well your bunny did even though he will get disq. Here is another idea. You could enter him and when at the show find someone who will tattoo him for you (may have to pay small fee).

Good Luck, Sharon

TinysMom would you bring your tattoo things? I found out that I could get LEO tattooed in his ear which would be really cool.

Leo Mini-Rex Red Senior Buck (right?)I am going to see if I can find a carrier that I could take him in to the show this weekend. I own a cage with a tray under it but it is big (made for a rabbit to live in) and difficult to carry. I also need to purchase another pair of nail clippers because Leos are packed. I need to find a brush (what do you brush mini rexes with?) and a small water bottle for his cage. Plus a small bowl to put pellets in hay in. So here goes the shopping trip!!

Do you enter the rabbit when you get there? You pay for it there right? You also said to bring money for food for me and leo (or bring food)... Is there going to be a place you can buy food? I have never been to Seguin and my mom is only going to stay for a little while (she is HIGHLY allergic to rabbits) so I cant really drive anywhere.

Things you should pack for your show:

Money - for food, raffle tickets, or buying whatever.

Rabbit food for Leo.

Water for Leo.

Carrier (with Leo in it)

Because this is your first show, I would recommend bringing a notebook to take notes with. There is a lot of information to remember. It is a awesome place to ask questions. Everyone is usually VERY helpful.

You need to pre-enter. Contact the show secretary for a catalog. See if they can email you one...it will be faster. Send in your entry by the deadline and the money. You need to enter him as a Mini Rex Red Senior Buck. Don't forget to include the ear# that you will be tattooing him with.

I would STRONGLY recommend your mother not going inside the building. There will be a LOT of rabbits there in a confined space. Maybe she could drive to a shopping area or something. Just letting you know.

Any more questions just ask!

Sharon

You do NOT need to preenter Leo - you can enter him that morning. However, you need to get there early - I want to say before 8 am? You will be registering him in the "youth" show - so remember that when you get there (you could show him in the open show if you want). I don't remember if Seguin is a double show - if so - you might want to pay the $4.50 per show to enter him in both.....

When you get there - put Leo down (ask someone if they'll watch him) and go to the registration area. Get in line for the "youth" show (they have them marked)...and then say, "This is my first show - what do I do?" Trust me - they'll help you.

You are basically going to be filling out two pieces of paper (per show if there are two shows). One is the entry form where you list every rabbit you are showing. In your case - its just Leo. The second form you will fill out is the "comment card".....I think it is in duplicate or triplicate. Don't worry about putting an "entry number" on it - when you register your entry - they will tell you your entry number and put that on the forms.

Then you take both forms to the table and pay for your entry. The large form which lists all the rabbits you're entering is used by the show secretary (I think) to keep track of how much you paid, etc. etc. The comment card will be put in the coop when they are preparing to call your breed. When your breed is called - you look for the coop that has your comment card in it (on the other side of the coop) and put Leo in there. As the judge talks about your rabbit - the notetaker will fill out the comment card and when your rabbit is done being judged - you get one copy of the card back with your rabbit.

Here is the information you will need to know for both the entry form and the comment card:

Your name, address, phone,e tc.

Ear # (tattoo)

Breed

Variety (color - Castor? Black, etc)

Class (junior/senior? - you'll need to know how old Leo is and what class he'd be in - some breeds have more than just junior/senior...maybe someone on here can help you).

Sex

I think that is it...I can't remember what else.

Good luck in showing. I'm hoping we'll make it there - if we don't - there probably will be someone who can tattoo him....but our plans right now are to go...

Peg

Today we bought nail clippers and a soft brush for his coat. We couldn't get the carrier because MOTHER didn't want to go to Petsmart!! :XI cant wait for the show!! But I am very nervous! I hope its not a really large show because more people make me MORE nervous!! Leo's birthday is November 11th, 2004... So he would be 1 and 1/2 yrs or about... What should I put as his age? 1 yr and 4 months?

THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERY QUESTION YOU HAVE ANSWERED AND ALL THE HELP THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME!!:elephant::bunnydance::inlove::group

bunnylover78642 wrote:
Today we bought nail clippers and a soft brush for his coat. We couldn't get the carrier because MOTHER didn't want to go to Petsmart!! :XI cant wait for the show!! But I am very nervous! I hope its not a really large show because more people make me MORE nervous!! Leo's birthday is November 11th, 2004... So he would be 1 and 1/2 yrs or about... What should I put as his age? 1 yr and 4 months?

THANK YOU ALL FOR EVERY QUESTION YOU HAVE ANSWERED AND ALL THE HELP THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN ME!!:elephant::bunnydance::inlove::group
You'll simply put him down as a senior. They don't need exact age!

Peg

Latest posts

Back