Showing Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbit Lover02

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering. In a youth show, what will I have to do? I know in the 4-H you have to pose them and all. But what about in the regular youth ARBA shows? Do you have to pose them?, or do the judge look at them and pose them themselves?

Are there any of the points you get (like how good the rabbits bone, fur, head, body) judged on me (myself)? Like how good I look, or act?

Also, is there anything I should do for my buns before we go to the show? I've heard to feed them a few oats every day before the show for a week or two?, Is that ok?, or is there any alternatives?

Thanks, I'm excited to show!!:blueribbon:

I just got in the rabbit showing business and I am 14 years old, basically all you have to do is bring the rabbit up to the table when they call your breed in the youth section. Here is a baby from my first litter ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1390666560.604101.jpg

For an ARBA show, you need to pay attention and be ready to bring the rabbit up to the show table when they call your class. Most shows will have poster boards above the judge's table that list the breeds to be examined by that judge in the order they will be judged. Pay attention, and know when your breed is starting.

Once you bring your rabbit to the table, put it in one of the holding coops. Then, your job is to listen to the judge's comments so you know what is good about your bunny, and what needs improved. It's important that the judge doesn't know which rabbit belongs to which person, so no, you won't be be posing them.

The judge will place your rabbit, and if it does not win its class, it's removed from the table. If it does win, leave it on the table, as it will eventually go on to compete for best of variety and breed; in that case, the judge will indicate when it's time to remove the rabbit from the table.

Are there any of the points you get (like how good the rabbits bone, fur, head, body) judged on me (myself)? Like how good I look, or act?
Nope, absolutely none, as the judge isn't supposed to know which one is your rabbit. You can, however, get disqualified if you're trying to sway the judge's decision (saying, "oh, that rabbit won breed in the last show", etc.).

Also, is there anything I should do for my buns before we go to the show? I've heard to feed them a few oats every day before the show for a week or two?, Is that ok?, or is there any alternatives?
Starting supplements a few days before the show isn't going to help them with condition, but you can start giving small amounts of rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds a month or two before the show. Some people feed small amounts of Calf Manna (a protein supplement for livestock), but I don't like giving my rabbits such high amounts of protein, so I don't do it.

Have fun at the show! Which show are you going to? I'm form Richmond, VA, but am going to school in the SE VA area; if you ever end up going to a show I'm at, I'd be happy to help you out and answer any questions! :)

Latest posts

Back