Showing Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger55

Reaction score
I know that a HL must be 2lbs. and under 6 month old to be show as jr. but does anyone know what is the earlyest age they can be showed ? 8 weeks to 6 month I do not know. I think a 4 month old would beat a 8 week old.

I think they must meet the minimum weight for a junior. I am not sure, but I think most breeds do have minimum weights. Otherwise, you probably don't want to take anything under 8 weeks to a show as it will be stressful on them and that can cause issues for some rabbits. Many shows will say that all rabbits must meet the minimum weight for the breed and to leave babies at home.

Age is not really a huge factor. It is how the rabbit compared to the standard. You can have younger juniors that can beat seniors. While an 8 week old probably won't win, it could still have better structure than an older rabbit and just hasn't filled out quite enough.

I would weight your rabbit and see if they are big enough. If they are, I would still wait until they are at least 8 weeks old and are comfortable away from the mother and doing well after weaning.

I am no expert though and someone should come along with better info for you.

It does depend on the rabbit. Like Korr_and_Sophie said, I wouldn't take anything younger than 8 weeks even if it was at the proper weight. Not only can it be stressful, but I worry about their little immune systems before that age.

That said, I took my almost 10 week old to a show here in September and he got excellent marks and took BOS.

I agree'd, Some rabbits cant handle it at that age, But I go by age and weight for Jr and Sr...

Rabbits must meet the minimum weight requirement for their breed according to ARBA rules.

However, we generally don't show a rabbit until at least 12 weeks of age, when it has shed it's baby coat.

As a judge, I recommend waiting until the baby no longer has it's baby coat(and of course, it musthave reached minimum weight).;)

I try not to show anything less than 10 to 12 weeks of age. Not only to make sure they're at minimum breed weight, but it also allows them to mature a little more and be fully weaned.

You'd think that older rabbits would beat out younger rabbits - but this isn't always true. I had a 10 week old doe get BOB out of a good number of rabbits at one show. I actually ended up keeping her - she was supposed to go with her new owners at the end of the show!

Emily

Minimum weight for Hollands is absolutely 2 lbs. according to the ARBA Standard of Perfection - exhibitors can count on me weighing them every time. :thumbup

Latest posts

Back