Show Rabbit Question - :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BabyBailey

Reaction score
Once my baby holland lop is old enough, I'd love to enter him in a show oncehe matures a little more. Only problem is I was planning to have him fixed. Will I still be able to enter him in shows or does it seem kinda pointless if I wont be able to breed him later? Thanks!

Merissa :)

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you can only enter intact animals in ARBA competitions. Its considered a disqualification to have an altered animal.

I don't see any harm in entering him in a rabbit show as a junior though. You can always fix him later.

*edit* Got out my standard of perfection book.
Holland lop Juniors must meet a minimum weight of 2 lbs and be under 6 months of age. (if they weigh more than 2 lbs they can be shown in the senior group but cannot exceed 4 lbs)

clevername wrote:
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you can only enter intact animals in ARBA competitions. Its considered a disqualification to have an altered animal.

Aw darn. I guess that'd make sense. I'll see about entering him in jr. shows. I just don't want him to spray when he gets older. How old do they need to be before they can be fixed?

If you want to show a male he must be intact. Otherwise he will be disqualified becuase the judge won't know if he is female or male, even if the paper says. I am pretty sure that it is ok with females because they don't have a part that is outside so the judge wouldn't know anyway.

Rabbits can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop. 3-4 months is common, but you can certainly do it later if you'd like.

A rabbit has to be intact to show in ARBA Confirmation. There are 4-H shows with Pet classes and Fun Shows that allow neutered and spayed bunnies to show.

Showing a spayed doe is against the rules and technically cheating. No, it doesn't "show" on the outside, but it's not the right thing to do.

You have to have intact bunnies here for show too, though in the dog world lately people have been getting their dogs neutered and putting in prosthetic (fake) testicles into the scrotum to make it look like they weren't desexed :shock:.

:nosir:They have them here too... usually used for dogs that have accidents or disease or are born with only one testicle. Most good judges can tell the difference (if they bother to check).

Neutered rabbits (bucks or does) in ARBA classes are not permitted. It is actually possible to palpate the rabbit and feel the abdomen, although it's rarely done.

Pam

NZminilops wrote:
You have to have intact bunnies here for show too, though in the dog world lately people have been getting their dogs neutered and putting in prosthetic (fake) testicles into the scrotum to make it look like they weren't desexed :shock:.
Wow that's weird about the fake testicles.....:?

Oh wow. Thanks everyone. I had no idea so many people would be willing to write me back. :)

Oh, and yes. I had no idea fake testicals even existed for animals... or at all for that matter. lol.

So what do you all think I should do? Just fix him and not worry about showing him or show him and deal with him spraying and being an indoor bunny?

Did you get him from a breeder? Do you know any judges or breeders in your area? Get someone to evaluate your bunny. Does he meet the written standard for his breed? Or enter and take him to a show (while he's still a junior, under 6 months of age)and listen to what the judge says about him. (It'sfun to go to a rabbit show!)

If he carries a lot of better traits for a Holland Lop, you may want to keep him intact for show. If he is better suitedas a companion bunny, then have him neutered. (You might still be able to find local Fun shows or 4-H pet classes to show him in.)

Neutering him will make him a better companion bunny.

NZminilops wrote:

Some how I think our judges might be able to figure out if our senior bucks have fake testicles. I think they might, I think they might, I think they might.

It would be kind of fun to see but can't figure a way to do that.

Cracks me up. :biggrin2::bunnydance:

BlueGiants wrote:
Showing a spayed doe is against the rules and technically cheating. No, it doesn't "show" on the outside, but it's not the right thing to do.
How is it cheating? The judges wouldn't know. And I just think that is crazy, how could you cheat by entering your spayed rabbit in a competition.............?:?

BSAR wrote:
BlueGiants wrote:
How is it cheating? The judges wouldn't know. And I just think that is crazy, how could you cheat by entering your spayed rabbit in a competition.............?:?
Cheating is cheating - whether you get caught or not. Cheating is not just the "getting caught" - is the doing the wrong thing (morally or ethically or whatever).

So entering a spayed doe when the rules say no spayed animals...is doing the wrong thing.

If caught - I can imagine it would make it hard to enter shows in the future (can you be banned from showing that rabbit or something?)

Well I have no spayed does, but soon I am planning on spaying one. and more in the future.I still want to showthem but I don't want them to have chances of getting cervical cancer so i am spaying them. I think you can show a spayed doe here in WA. Because I have never heard that you couldn't in WA and I have never seen that rule in the things that tell you about shows.

pamnock wrote:
Neutered rabbits (bucks or does) in ARBA classes are not permitted. It is actually possible to palpate the rabbit and feel the abdomen, although it's rarely done.

Pam

If you're going to an ARBA show - their rules aren't by state but are for ALL over - USA and Canada and whereeever there are ARBA shows.

4-H I don't know about....

Latest posts

Back