Show Rabbit Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teresa H

Reaction score
Today at 2:09 PM
Hello!

I have a 2.1 lb Netherland Dwarf rabbit. He is 5.5months old and runs lose in my house. He is pretty active and has zoomies twice a day.
He is also my show rabbit. I’m trying to figure out the best diet for him. I feed him pretty cheap rabbit food (1/8 cup Timothy Complete Rabbit Food - Kaytee) but still decent. I give him unlimited Timothy hay, and I also supplement his diet with 2 cups of vegetable per day. I have been thinking of adding black oil sunflower seeds to his pellets. And when I did yesterday, added about 8, he loved it. However, today his fur is verrry oily right now and shiny and dense. I also read that most people who feed their rabbits BOSS only feed about 2 seeds per day to their dwarf rabbits. He lives in my house so I’m not worried about him molting. Can someone with a lot of show rabbit knowledge tell me if this is too much?

what do you guys suggest to maintain his weight?

Thanks! 🐰

BOSS is typically used to help with condition. We didn’t feed it year round, only during the show season and then maybe a tablespoon occasionally with their pellets. We might also give it to an underweight rabbit to help put on some weight. Otherwise, our show and breeding rabbits got pellets and hay most of the time. With my Polish, which are a little bigger than NDs, I’d give a teaspoon of BOSS rather than a tablespoon.

OK, I actually added it into his feed. I diluted it quite a bit. Its actually about a 1/3 a teaspoon a day or less. I think I was feeding him too much vegetables as well. His coat was so oily. Thanks.

When I bred dwarfs I would feed my show dwarfs 1/4 cup of a complete diet pellet (Purina Show or Purina Complete was what I fed my dwarfs - feed stores usually have a better selection of feed than pet stores do. Manna Pro is another brand I would recommend for show rabbits), topped with 1/3 tbsp BOSS and 2/3 tbsp oats. I would avoid Kaytee food. It is very low in protein and all around not a good food; for a young show rabbit you want a higher protein food (15-16% protein). You might want to cut down on the veggies as well, they're mostly treats when you are feeding a complete diet pellet and should be fed sparingly. I don't want to mess with the nutrient ratios that the nutritionists that made the pellet came up with, after all. Feeding a bunch of greens is more of a "pet rabbit" thing than for show rabbits, where they are intact with higher metabolism and need to stay in perfect condition for shows. Rabbits will still molt even if they live in a house at constant temperature, btw.

We used Purina Show for our rabbits also. Also, any horse quality hay will work. In our area, coastal hay was easy to get, and cheap, in square bales. For the one finicky rabbit we had, we gave either Timothy or orchard grass.

Suggested Daily Diet:

Pellets: 2 - 4 Tablespoons of Modesto Milling Pellets (half in the morning / half in the evening)

Hay: Unlimited 2nd Cut Timothy Hay (fresh, preferably from a farm bale)

Vegetables: 1 cup approximately of greenery per day (can include small portions of fruit, grass & herbs. To be fed to rabbits 5+ months - slowly introduce)

Treats: 3 BOSS (to help with coat condition before shows - they are very caloric & 5 is the max that should be fed per day) OR a Pinch of Raw Oats (helps with coat condition & runny stools)

Water: Unlimited, Cold & Fresh (can add 1 tablespoon of ACV per half-gallon of fresh, cold water. Apple Cider Vinegar contains essential vitamins & minerals, prevents urinary tract infections & helps keep their HP levels regulated)

Latest posts

Back