Show Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjbarrick

Reaction score
My husband just surprised me with a couple mini rex does. They are both absolutely beautiful. They have pedigrees and have been tattooed.

I would love to enter our girls into shows. But do you have to be in 4H or a member of the ARBA to show them? And how do the shows work?

You don't have to be an ARBA member to show at ARBA sanctioned shows. If it is a 4-H show, then you would need to be a 4-H member. Youth shows with ARBA just require the person showing the rabbit to be between 5 and 18 years old.

To enter a show, you need to find one. The ARBA website lists all sanctioned shows, so you should be able to find one. Many shows will have a catalogue with info on when and where the show is, the entry form, and other relevant info. Some shows require pre-entry, so you have to send in the entry form before the show. Others have you enter on the day of the show. Entry forms are fairly simple, just need your info (each person should have their own form for their own rabbit(s)), and the rabbits tattoo, breed, sex, age, and variety. Some shows will have 2 or 3 shows a day (each would have a different judge or judges), so you can get more opinions on the rabbit in a day.

The actual showing is fairly simple. Just get the rabbit up to the table and put it in the right coop (ask if needed). The judge will do all the work, you just need to step back and watch. Once it is done, you can take your rabbit back to the carrier or cage. If they have won Best of Breed, they will come back for Best in Show. If your kids are showing in the youth show, they need to bring the rabbit to the table them self as a youth needs to carry the rabbit to the table (helps keep adults from showing in youth).

You do want to arrive on time for the show, even get there early if you can. Some shows let you set up the night before. Getting there early gives you time to set up your rabbits, make sure you are signed in and paid the fees (and enter if needed), and just get settled before judging. Since each show has a different judging order, you don't know when your breed will be up until you get there, they could be first or last.

Where are you located?

If your breed is mini Rex chances are it will come up on the table pretty early but this varies with region and state. Things you need to know about your rabbit for entrance: age, sex, breed, variety(color), and the tattoo. This information has to be on your entrance form and the comment card if its a comment card show. The best thing is to find a show you can go to and try to get the flyer information. From that we can tell you much more about how to prepare. You can post pictures of your rabbits if you don't know what color they are.

For age a junior is under 6mos of age and a senior is over 6mos of age. There are weight requirements for the sex and age groups as well.
Junior bucks and does: minimum weight is 2lbs and maximum is 3.75lbs
Senior does: 3.25-4.5lbs with 4.25 being ideal

Oh and here's the show search website for ARBA https://www.arba.net/showsSearch.php#showsearch

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies and I'm in Newell, WV. Both of my girls will be 6 months old on the 23rd. I've tried to find shows around here, but I can't find any, except for in Ohio and Pennsylvania. I'm hoping to make it to one eventually. I would love to be in 4H again, but I think I'm too old to join unfortunately.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1394567380.682844.jpg

I know what color the one in the front is. The one in the back has me confused though. We were told she is amber in color, but she looks like a castor to me. In the sunlight, she is a little lighter in color, but not by much. So is she amber or castor?

She is castor. ARBA does not recognize amber as a color. The other one is a broken chocolate or black? Castor is show with castor and the other will be shown in the broken variety. I have a friend that shows tans in West Virginia. Let me see if I can find shows that's she's going to.

You can't be older than 19 to show in 4h

Last edited:
Thank you :) I'll definitely be showing my broken chocolate at some point. I'm kinda excited to give it a try

bjbarrick- I'm in Virginia, and I'm planning on going to the Charles Town, WV show in June. If you decide to make it out to the show, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to meet up with you at the show and help you out in any way I can. I'd tell you to come to the Aylett, VA show this weekend, but I see that's quite a drive for you!

bjbarrick- I'm in Virginia, and I'm planning on going to the Charles Town, WV show in June. If you decide to make it out to the show, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to meet up with you at the show and help you out in any way I can. I'd tell you to come to the Aylett, VA show this weekend, but I see that's quite a drive for you!

Yea, that would be quite a drive lol. My husband is interested in giving shows a try too, so we may try to make it to that one. If we do decide to go, I'll PM you. We still have a couple more months before that show to figure it out lol.

Latest posts

Back