Should the rabbitry become a private forum? (All May Vote)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the rabbitry become a private forum open only to breeders?

• YES - I'm a breeder

• NO - I'm a breeder

• I don't care - I'm a breeder

• YES - I'm not a breeder

• NO - I'm not a breeder

• I don't care - I'm not a breeder

• I have another suggestion I'm sharing!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I feel for you Peg. I've been a target a couple of times and generally rat out the idiot, but I don't usually wait as I do so enjoy slamming their pointy little heads in the door so to speak. By that, I take them to task verbally, but in a nice and polite way. Sounds so much better to "cordially invite someone to attend the theological place of eternal punishment" than to say "go to hell!" I've also ratted some narrow minded bigots when I thought they were being stupid and vindictive when it's never called for here. But, mine is only a very limited area whereas yours is about the size of where you live. I hate losing the wealth of knowledge that the breeders provide to us novices, but I do understand where your coming from. Remember Lincoln's sage words about "pleasing people".

"cordially invite someone to attend the theological place of eternal punishment"

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Oh Larry...

I'm sitting here with this facial masque on my face trying not to laugh so it can dry - and yet I'm dying inside and can hardly stop from laughing and crying...

I decided "hey...I bought that strawberry chocolate facial mask to try...I'll put that on - take a picture of it and show the breeders how red faced I can get from anger (but in a joking way since its the mask).

Did I mention the mask is strawberry CHOCOLATE?

I look....like maybe I got a tan...

and I'm trying so hard for it to not crack!!!

Oh well.....thanks for the laughter - I so needed it.

I know I already posted, but I just wanted to add more. I think it would be good to make it private because people that can control themselves and enjoy reading the rabbitry will still be able to view it. We really wouldn't be losing anything, in fact the breeders would be able to share MORE information without worrying about curious rescue folks (like me) reading and getting worked up. Breeders would still be able to help out pet owners, if they desire, through the public forum.

I'm not a breeder but I would like to see it stay open, I do enjoy reading some of the threads there and there is some interesting information that gets posted. Perhaps you could grant access to that part of the forum until someone gives you reason to perhaps ban that person from that part of the forum?

Happi Bun wrote:
I know I already posted, but I just wanted to add more. I think it would be good to make it private because people that can control themselves and enjoy reading the rabbitry will still be able to view it. We really wouldn't be losing anything, in fact the breeders would be able to share MORE information without worrying about curious rescue folks (like me) reading and getting worked up. Breeders would still be able to help out pet owners, if they desire, through the public forum.
Feel free to continue posting too Erica - you're not limited to only one post on the topic.

You're one of the ones I'd like to hear from as you have been somewhat active here....

Of course, I'd love to hear from everyone - don't take that wrong - but those who have been active here are especially appreciated because I know you're here a lot!

I voted to keep it open to everyone. I like reading the breeder section but very, very rarely comment because whatever I say wouldn't really be relevant since I'm not a breeder.

I understand if people won't go for this, but perhaps we could make it so everyone can read the breeder subforum but only breeders can post? That could make things even hairier potentially, but it's an idea. Or maybe members who have proven themselves to have good behavior can be permitted to read/comment in the breeder forum even if they don't breed?

Thanks Peg! I also want to thank the RO staff for having this thread and trying their best through the years to make RO a friendly and stress free environment for everyone. :)

I will admit I read The Rabbitry when I shouldn't. Some of the things I read just make my blood boil or make me really depressed. I'm just down right NOSY! It's a personal flaw, one of many. :rollseyes Anyway, I think I express decent self control if I do respond to threads in the breeding section. I recognize the rules and respect them.

Pipp is right about the rescue community not being strong here because of the breeder section. I know maaannny rescue folks that would see that and run for the hills. Not saying anything mean to breeders, it's just is the way it is. Rescue folks view breeders as the problem for rabbit overpopulation and the way they house their stock as cruel, Breeders view rescue folks/pet homes as uneducated and closed minded crazy PETA people (using stereotypes for both examples there). That is the way it will always be, there will always be that clashing of views.

I think RO has done a remarkable job keeping the peace the way it has, honestly. On other forums you just don't have them mix like you do here.

Happi Bun wrote:
Rescue folks view breeders as the problem for rabbit overpopulation and the way they house their stock as cruel, Breeders view rescue folks/pet homes as uneducated and closed minded crazy PETA people (using stereotypes for both examples there).
I know that there are other breeders like myself who appreciate rescue and there are some who DO rescue too. I've taken in rabbits that others couldn't take - or taken in adult rabbits that were dropped off at the feed store because I knew what most folks in my area would think when they look at a large rabbit...

When I look at this forum, I see a lot of pet owners who have educated themselves about rabbits and are responsible and that just makes me so happy.

Anyway - I appreciate those who work in rescue and I applaud them for their work. If I was in an area with an overpopulation of rabbits, I'd most likely be rescuing vs. breeding (and even that I'm backing out of in the future - at least for flemish giants although I love them).

It just makes me mad that people look at rabbits as "disposable pets" that they can get rid of whenever they get tired of them. I don't think that is as much the breeder's fault (I suppose at times it could be) as that of the pet owners that haven't educated themselves.

Oh - and just for the record - there are things shared here that I don't care for either as a breeder....for example, I don't eat rabbit and I don't cull / kill.

BUT - I would never attack someone else for their choices in that...

I know I dont have much of a vote since I have only been raise/owning rabbit for 4 months or so. But I know for me I would Like to see it remain open, I know for me this section has helped me very much even before I decided to start raising dutch's. I feel this section and general rabbit question are the 2 main areas I gl to every time i get on. I learn so much form those who breed. I now breed as well. But I know if when I first got onto this site this area was closed to me there would have been so much that I would have missed and not learned,
But on the other side there arent any subject that bother me either. But I can also see how some can be bothered by something breeders do but not just breeders but rabbit owners in general.

JadeIcing wrote:
Oddly enough if i know some rescue people that if this area was closed would be more wary than if it was open.
Really? I honestly cannot see why that would be.

I agree with JadeIcing.

I don't breed, I rescue, and I love reading the forum. The thing I loved about RO when I first found it, was the way breeders and rescuers co existed. I know of only one other community(a rat one) where that happens. I don't exactly know how the mod heirachy works, but I think having another mod from another part of the world from Peg would be a good idea. So she has help from someone who can be around at her night time. I think RO would lose something if the rabbitry became private.

I don't see why a lot of people should lose out just because a few jerks can't listen to the rules, or the mods. JMHO. :p

Happi Bun wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:
Oddly enough if i know some rescue people that if this area was closed would be more wary than if it was open.

I'm in aggreeance here.

Like I had mentioned in an earlier post about the 'backporch' on another site... instead of making this breeder board private, what about leaving it open, and have a private one for those of us who are breeding for meat and other controversal issues? That way those of us who actually are interested in those aspects of the rabbitry go there and then no one else has a reason to complain about them when they pop up. And since I do understand most mods here are rescuers and Peg isn't fond of it either, assign another mod ONLY to that board?

That way the main rabbitry is there for everyone to read what they enjoy. And there should be no issue of them getting themselves kicked off the... umm meat board?

Outta site, outta mind!

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
Happi Bun wrote:
JadeIcing wrote:

I'm in aggreeance here.

Like I had mentioned in an earlier post about the 'backporch' on another site... instead of making this breeder board private, what about leaving it open, and have a private one for those of us who are breeding for meat and other controversal issues? That way those of us who actually are interested in those aspects of the rabbitry go there and then no one else has a reason to complain about them when they pop up. And since I do understand most mods here are rescuers and Peg isn't fond of it either, assign another mod ONLY to that board?

That way the main rabbitry is there for everyone to read what they enjoy. And there should be no issue of them getting themselves kicked off the... umm meat board?

Outta site, outta mind!

If the breeder section was completely off limits I think people on the outside may wonder what is going on there. If they tend to paranoid they may come up with all kinds of ideas of what is going on "behind closed doors".

If the breeders still maintain a presence on the board then others may not notice there is an additional hidden room for sensitive topics?

Please don't take away the baby pictures! Just had to beg for my vicarious thrill at seeing all the babies :big wink:

:yeahthat:

I like this one that way other breeder can talk about what they do and not get in truble for it. I know I bite my toung all the time as not to upset anyone. I never even reply to topics that get heated like culls and stuff. I am a breeder and would love to learn more from others that been breeding longer then I. I feel we can't couse of the heated topics and the topics we can't even talk about like for meat. I just wanted to add my 2 cents in.

I like that idea too, I am also a breeder, But sometimes when we talk about "culls" maybe not for meat but what about when we have peanuts or some defect, Or something gets sick, We should be able to ask questions, ect..

I dont eat them, But it should be able to have other breeders talk or have questions about it. But also it should be safe for us too as breeders..

But I also like helping new bunny owners, Or somebody ask questions about owning bunnies. I had pet only owners buying some pets from me. I loved giving them info about rabbits and helping them out, (Like right now, I have a lady emailed me for a pet only bun, I am going to try help her out the best I can). Also I like helping out new breeders!

I voted "I don't care--I'm a breeder" but I feel I should expand on that because I DO care. I can just see both sides.

I think that the large majority of non-breeders who use this forum ARE respectful and DO enjoy seeing and learning things that we breeders talk about.

I think it is PERFECTLY REASONABLE for the mods to ask us as breeders NOT to talk about something inflammatory, like culling and meat breeding. My original suggestion stands: PM each other if you want to talk about that stuff. That's why PM is there.

I also think that it should be established that if you DO violate the rules the mods have set forth--like non-breeders being critical and stirring up drama, and breeders who continue to talk about issues that have been banned--the mods should issue a formal warning to that person. Three strikes you're out? Those people just ruin it for the rest of us.

Breeders and non-breeders CAN co-exist peacefully if we are all respectful and mature of each other's opinions and viewpoints. Those who cannot do that should be dealt with accordingly. See above.

Good luck Peg.

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
I voted "I don't care--I'm a breeder" but I feel I should expand on that because I DO care. I can just see both sides.

I think that the large majority of non-breeders who use this forum ARE respectful and DO enjoy seeing and learning things that we breeders talk about.

I think it is PERFECTLY REASONABLE for the mods to ask us as breeders NOT to talk about something inflammatory, like culling and meat breeding. My original suggestion stands: PM each other if you want to talk about that stuff. That's why PM is there.

I also think that it should be established that if you DO violate the rules the mods have set forth--like non-breeders being critical and stirring up drama, and breeders who continue to talk about issues that have been banned--the mods should issue a formal warning to that person. Three strikes you're out? Those people just ruin it for the rest of us.

Breeders and non-breeders CAN co-exist peacefully if we are all respectful and mature of each other's opinions and viewpoints. Those who cannot do that should be dealt with accordingly. See above.

Good luck Peg.
Very well said.

I come to this forum off and on. There are other rabbit forums designed and focused for breeders.

If there is such a problems occuring becuase of the Rabbitry Section it should be made private. It's sad, becuase breeders usually have the best information and diagnostics for sick or laboring bunnies.

I also see both sides of the issue. I just think those who are causing the issue should be removed, not those of us calmly discussing something that occurs in breeding. Honestly, I don't like being silenced because someone else is misinformed and rude. I apologize to Peg, because I meant no disrespect to her, I only attempted to educate this person and hopefully help them realize that what they thought was not as it seemed.

I'm definitely for the 3 strikes rule.
Like others said, I don't think the idea of "hiding" the breeders behind closed doors is the answer. Punish the troublemakers, not those who came to share opinions and learn from each other.

Latest posts

Back