Should the rabbitry become a private forum? (All May Vote)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should the rabbitry become a private forum open only to breeders?

• YES - I'm a breeder

• NO - I'm a breeder

• I don't care - I'm a breeder

• YES - I'm not a breeder

• NO - I'm not a breeder

• I don't care - I'm not a breeder

• I have another suggestion I'm sharing!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TinysMom

Reaction score
With all that happened in the thread about culling - it has caused some to reconsider having the rabbitry area as a private forum.

Before I give my input on the final decision - I'd like to hear from our members and I'm hoping that you'll not only vote but share WHY you feel a certain way to help me understand what our membership wants.

I will probably leave this poll open till Sunday since we may have some folks who only get on during the weekends.

My own personal bias right now is that I'm tempted to make it a private forum because I think it would make my moderating job much easier. Yet - I know that there are some non-breeders out there who enjoy reading the forum and I want to consider their feelings.

So please - vote - and then if you want - share your thoughts.

P.S. Even if we went private - I'm not sure how we'd handle meat breeding, etc.

My hope is that all here are mature enough to discuss any topic from rescue to raising rabbits for meat. If they aren't mature enough not to engage in personal attacks because they don't like a topic or disagree with someones' opinion they my vote is to ban them. I've always believed in having all forums open for discussion. Also believe that what George Carlin once said is so true, "God must love stupid people because he made so darn many!" The reason I included that quote is because twice here someone with a limited command of the English language not only totally missed what I said, but they directed some pretty snarky comments at me too. I was very civil but I did tell them that they either need to read and understand what is said here without getting personal or that they were too dumb to be on here without a wrangler to keep them from placing their foot to deep into their own digestive tract. Also, I ratted them out to the admin her who do an exemplary job--this is one of the finest on the net.

Thanks for sharing Larry. Part of me wants to keep it public - but honestly - its the non-breeders who make my job hard for me in here (or the breeders who won't stop discussing something when I ask that the topic be changed).

So I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm hoping lots of folks will chime in with their thoughts
on this and why they'd like it public or private.

I am not a breeder but I would like to see it remain open. I think the breeders know SO much about rabbits and I love learning about different breeds and colors. I generally trust them to know their stuff since they put so much effort, time, money etc. into what they are doing.

I think that it should remain open to everyone that wants to be part of it. Part of the problem with having a rabbit as a pet is that there is very limited imformation out there for pet owners. If you close the forum to us non breeders, I personally think that it will do more harm than good. Lots of very deperate pet owners and owners that are new to rabbits depend on this site. It is the breeders that help with information gathered through years of breeding a lot of rabbits that help out those that only have one or two.

I personally feel it should be made private.

It has been a source of constant problems in the four years I have been a member of this forum.

:twocents

If there is a subject posted that someone takes offense too, they should not bother opening the site. Would be a shame to have to put restrictions on because someone is "too stupid" (sorry if someone takes offense to that statement) to stay away from something that is just going to upset them. I have a problem with being able to go to the vet's and run into some poor pet owner that just had to have their pet put down. I make the choice of sitting with them and sharing their grief or checking ahead of time for the possibilty that this might be an event that for that day I cannot handle. Life is about choices, chose wisely.

I personally thoroughly enjoy reading the rabbitry forum, and probably consider it my favorite to read through. I love seeing the new litters, learning about the differences in genetics that create the colors and types of rabbits, and I find reading about different issues and topics that rabbit breeders deal with, whether it is how to decide what to breed, how many holes to have in their program for certain breeds or colors, or just the day to day goings around, incredibly interesting and enlightening.

I personally would feel like I had lost something if I lost the ability to read the rabbitry forum.

Perhaps there could be a halfway ground, something to make it easier for Peg to moderate, perhaps to make it private, but be able to opt in or apply for the ability to join it? I suppose it might be a bit frustrating to set up a list or set the forum up to only allow certain people in, but I imagine it couldn't be that far off from creating a moderator only part of the forum.

Then, the opt in or ability for you to read it, it could be based on your length of membership here, if you have had previous issues in the rabbitry (whether you are a breeder or not wouldn't matter, if you can't abide by the rules, you would be making it worse for the forum as a whole), or perhaps you have to have someone vouch for you who is a mod or longtime trusted member?

I don't know if any or all of that is helpful, but I do hope if it becomes private, that there will be some way for us non-problematic, non-breeders to still get an invite it.

FelipesMommy wrote:
I am not a breeder but I would like to see it remain open. I think the breeders know SO much about rabbits and I love learning about different breeds and colors. I generally trust them to know their stuff since they put so much effort, time, money etc. into what they are doing.
We're only talking about the Rabbitry. The 'Breeds' section can be updated and used for discussion and breeders are always welcome and able to post elsewhere.

PS: I'd love to beef up the Breeds section, hint hint...

sas

rpuckett wrote:
Perhaps there could be a halfway ground, something to make it easier for Peg to moderate, perhaps to make it private, but be able to opt in or apply for the ability to join it? I suppose it might be a bit frustrating to set up a list or set the forum up to only allow certain people in, but I imagine it couldn't be that far off from creating a moderator only part of the forum.

Then, the opt in or ability for you to read it, it could be based on your length of membership here, if you have had previous issues in the rabbitry (whether you are a breeder or not wouldn't matter, if you can't abide by the rules, you would be making it worse for the forum as a whole), or perhaps you have to have someone vouch for you who is a mod or longtime trusted member?

I don't know if any or all of that is helpful, but I do hope if it becomes private, that there will be some way for us non-problematic, non-breeders to still get an invite it.

If it becomes private, the posts will just be out of the sight of people who haven't requested or been given access.

I may start by taking the Rabbitry posts off of the sidebar if that's technically possible.

People wanting to read the Rabbitry can go there, but there won't be random Rabbitry posts catching people's eyes.

Unfortunately the rescue community is particularly often over-sensitive, and just having a Rabbitry has cost this forum a decent rescue membership and has challenged the Infirmary and other area because so many knowledgeable rescue people won't come here. I see that as certainly their own issue, not ours or the breeders. But none the less it does hurt the forum.

sas

I'm not a breeder, but I love reading (I know I don't have many posts, but I do a lot of reading!) through the topics and posts, as I am seriously thinking about showing rabbits some time in the future and also becoming a breeder. I can understand the reasons for it to be private, but if there's any possible way for other members to also join in, that would be great!

I would like to see the breeder forum remain open to all, and not let a few ridiculous people ruin for everyone else.

I probably fall under the category of the breeder that continues to discuss it after the subject was supposed to be dropped...
:embarrassed:
But I want people to understand why I do what I do. Of course, there is no talking to people that just flip out and bash others because of a difference of opinion. Someone with that strong of a view on a touchy subject isn't going to listen to reason, no matter how practical the argument. While I won't apologize for being a responsible breeder and managing what I produce, I will defend your right to disagree with me. The mods have a heck of a tough job and I appreciate them stepping in to keep the peace.

I think it should be made private but allow people to opt in to be able to view it (with a warning that some topics in the forum may be sensitive, or whatever word you think works better).

Maybe the Show Room/Breed Identification could become a separate public forum (that people can get critiques on their rabbit's conformation ability and/or figure out what breed their bunnies are).

As far as the meat question goes...maybe a separate private forum that only shows up to people who specifically opt in to it (not even just visible but locked, if that's possible with the engine this boards running on).

I like to read in the Rabbity section. I have learned so much about breeding, showing and other aspects. I think I would have a different view on breeding if this section was not around. While I may not agree with everything posted (this sort of goes for the whole site as I can't like everything), I don't post just to complain about it.
I do think that rescues and breeders need to find more common ground. Fighting about every little thing just wastes time that could be better spent on the rabbits (and other animals). While that may not be the purpose of this thread or forum, making something only accessible to certain people almost feels like you have something to hide. I do realize that is not the idea, but some people to take things a bit far.

Would it maybe be possible to have like 2 Rabbitry areas? One could be for more general topics that don't tend to cause issues and the other for the harder topics. That way people can still learn about breeding, showing, genetics and see pictures of baby bunnies without having to deal with culling, meat breeding and other things that are still part of breeding but not everyone can handle.

If it is decided to limit who can see it, I think that it should not be limited to just breeders. There are some people who can handle themselves and do want to learn about breeding and showing. I feel it would be a loss for those of use who do want to learn and are respectful of the topics.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Would it maybe be possible to have like 2 Rabbitry areas? One could be for more general topics that don't tend to cause issues and the other for the harder topics. That way people can still learn about breeding, showing, genetics and see pictures of baby bunnies without having to deal with culling, meat breeding and other things that are still part of breeding but not everyone can handle.

:yeahthat:

I like this idea! :biggrin:

I have no problem that it is open or closed to be honest.

I just want to see some maturity in the way that life works, that unfortunately some rabbits are food. I'm not the most mature person on earth either, and I'll be the first to admit that....I reallly like some aspects of this site, I truely do, and I LOVE to meet and talk with breeders.. I feel I'm very much conflicted on here, becasue I refuse to visit most of the pet boards because its just too conflicting of views.... I'm a breeder and I as well as numerous other breeders are held back at what is too tabboo to discuss. I honestly don't frequent as much because of this.

but if it takes being closed to be able to discuss such things then that is my vote. I just wish people were more understanding and more mature about such things as meat. I know there were a few new members coming on to ask for help with that, and essentially they are ran off like they're trolls.

p.s. I wish there was a seperate board for the WHAT TYPE OF BUN IS MY RABBIT?... Because 20 of those a day is annoying.

and a site I'm on there is a 'backporch' area... and all it is is a password that is given. Essentially on that site its to discuss anything and everything...... On here it would be to the rabbitry...... seems easy enough. And if someone violates it and starts being a winch, change the password and not give it to that member again.

mistyjr wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

:yeahthat:

I like this idea!     :biggrin:

I like this idea too. I'm not a breeder, but I love reading the discussions. It's nice to be able to see why breeders do certain things and to learn from them. I also adore all the baby bunny pictures! I personally understand there are some aspects that may upset me, but I try to see it from the other perspective. If I can't add anything constructive I just keep my mouth shut. However, I understand that not everyone can control themselves. So I would rather have the topics seperated than loose all of the nice things and fresh perspective the breeders bring.

laylabunny wrote:
I would like to see the breeder forum remain open to all, and not let a few ridiculous people ruin for everyone else.

I probably fall under the category of the breeder that continues to discuss it after the subject was supposed to be dropped...
:embarrassed:
But I want people to understand why I do what I do. Of course, there is no talking to people that just flip out and bash others because of a difference of opinion. Someone with that strong of a view on a touchy subject isn't going to listen to reason, no matter how practical the argument. While I won't apologize for being a responsible breeder and managing what I produce, I will defend your right to disagree with me. The mods have a heck of a tough job and I appreciate them stepping in to keep the peace.
First of all - let me say that Art's been gone most of the week and I've been struggling with depression from missing him - plus trying to keep a couple of sick babies alive (one of which died today).

Secondly - its HOT here. Our central a/c hasn't worked in years and we use window a/cs....but it is still very hot. It has gotten so hot lately that my computer is giving me fits and takes forever sometimes to do stuff.

I say this to explain that when things are going well in the rabbitry - it doesn't cause me any problems. I can check the threads in a few minutes and be done with it.

But when we have folks come in and bash breeders for their choices and I have to start editing them - plus edit the responses to them....then I wind up sitting in a room that is almost 90 degrees - at a hot computer which doesn't want to work - and what is normally "fun" becomes work.

In addition - when I ask folks to please change the subject and they keep on going because they "want to be heard" - it makes me feel like my efforts are not respected - and I almost came to a place of stepping down from moderating this week because I was so hurt by the fact that others wouldn't just "let it go".

It is those two things that make moderating here "hard" for me (along with the heat) - the folks who come in and criticize breeders - and then having to deal with the breeders themselves who keep on going and going because they want to be heard (and I'm only quoting you because mentioned the two points I'm trying to make - my comments are NOT directed at you personally - I promise!)

At times this week I just wanted to go to Pipp and say "shut the rabbitry down period...".

This is how I feel when those types of threads get started and keep going (and I start getting pms about them)...

:censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

and finally

:crash:crash:crash:crash:crash

Perhaps the solution will be to find another moderator who has more time/energy to devote to this area and I step down because my expectations of behavior are wrong.....I don't know. I know that all of our mods are busy with "real lives" while I try to check the forum 3-4 times per day.

I'm open to hearing more suggestions and I'll be glad to discuss this with Pipp, etc. privately. If y'all feel I should step down - please feel free to tell me or Pipp....I want to see what is best for the forum.

In the meantime - I'm gonna go hug a bunny, grieve another bunny (we lost our little broken tort holland lop buck) - and try to get cool in another room.

Latest posts

Back