Should nibbling be discouraged?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBun

Reaction score
Our new bunny (8 weeks) likes to come up and sniff our hands and give us a nibble. It doesn't seem like aggression at all, just like he's exploring or smells something and wants to taste (or maybe his way of giving kisses?) It's kind of cute but he's just a tiny little thing lol. My kids get a little scared cause they think it's a bite. Just curious if this could turn into biting and if I need to discourage it? I've had rabbits before (it's been like 5 years since we've had our last one) and I don't remember ours doing that or at least that much.

If it is a nip and there is some thumping then it is him warning you to stop, but if it is just a little nibble after licking it is him giving kisses. I would only discourage it if he is hurting you. The way you would do that is by squealing when he nips you or pressing your hand firmly on his face and pressing (not smashing) it towards the floor (it is how rabbit moms punish their babies).

Yea he's not thumping or anything. I actually haven't even seen him thump yet at all. Definitely seems like he's being friendly, it doesn't hurt at all so it probably is a kiss 😍😍😍

Latest posts

Back