Should Nermal be free feeding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anaira

Reaction score
Nermal is three months old; should he still be getting unlimited pellets? I don't know when Netherland Dwarves stop growing; and if he should, how do I stop Reuben eating all the day's supply in ten minutes? :p I thought about maybe setting something up that Nermal can jump onto, but Reuben can't, but idk. :/ What have other people done; has anyone else got/had a bonded pair where one needs to diet, and the other free feeds?

mine should be getting free-fed, technically, but aren't due to Gaz's weight issues. my vet recommended back at 2-3 mos that I cut back on their pellets. I've found that it really doesn't seem necessary once they hit the three month mark and can have veggies anyway.

hiding the pellets from reuben could work, or if Nermal's got a good appetite, you can just feed him separately and let him chow down on pellets for 10 mins or something before you put out pellets in a common area where they can both eat more later (I don't do this with Nala because she's such a dainty eater, though I do sometimes offer her extra pellets by hand-feeding them like they're treats).

reuben's size could also allow you to create a hidey-house with an opening that he wouldn't be able to squeeze through but that little nermal can fit into easily.

Are they both juveniles & getting alfalfa pellets or in one full-grown & getting timothy pellets?

I always give Honey pellets twice a day, even though she doesn't eat them all at once.

Bonding usually doesn't last through puberty, so be prepared to have to separate them until both are neutered.

Smaller breeds are more prone to becoming overweight when given free fed pellets because they are so palatable some buns don't know when to stop eating them.

My mom regulates her polish from free fed to rations at about 2 months old because they gain weight so quickly

Latest posts

Back