Should I restrict my bunnies' diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering whether I should restrict how much my 2 bunnies eat or just give them an unlimited amount of food at all times. I'm asking this because my bunnies will eat until they literally can't any more, which I am afraid will make them unhealthy and overweight since they have no handle on how much they should eat. The alternative would be to feed them veggies and fruits 3 times a day with a sizable amount of grass every day.

It depends on how old they are! When they're babies up to about 6-7 months unlimited food is fine because they're growing. Once they're adults, pellets should be limited based on healthy adult weight, although hay and water should be unlimited and greens should be roughly 30% of the total diet, although this amount sometimes changes based on seasonal availability. Don't give too much fruit, it should be a little treat every few days.

They are 8-12 months old, but their previous owners didn't feed them enough so I've been trying to feed them more food so they could regain their normal weight. But while I was doing so, my concern that they would become overweight or unhealthy arose and that's why I came here.

Restrict the food and just feed them the normal amount, they will gain their weight back normally. So you don’t have to worry as long they have unlimited grass/ hay all the time they won’t starve.

Do not restrict all food. Never starve a rabbit. Their digestion works different to ours or to those of cats od dogs. They need to be able to eat all the time. No intake -> transport in the guts slows down -> that can lead to a build up of gasses, making the issue worse -> that's where real problems start.
They need hay or grass 24/7.

IF there is an actual weight issue, and not a projected one because it's such a huge thing with humans, just fade out too rich stuff. No fruit, except for fingernail sized bits as treats. Same with veggies, they are created for our needs, rabbits can do with a much more meager fare. Depending on which veggies you feed you can reduce or cut out those too, especially if you feed grass or forage anyway.
Reduce pellets too, I use them just as treats to make them go back in their hutches.
Also, give them opportunity to exercise, enough space, a digging box etc.

Most likely they will do fine, the main culprit is us feeding too rich stuff. Don't believe pet food marketing.

Last edited:
It also depends on the bunny. I have unlimited food and my senior does not gorge. I have also had a doe that after being spayed she got chunky and had to monitor her a little more. Obesity in a bunny can cause the dewlap to be xtra large so that it drags in their water dish. Timothy hay should be unlimited, they must eat hay continually to keep GI track moving. Kibbles, fruit and veggies should be determined by how large the breed is.

Instead of worrying about the food, keep bun active, playing and moving around. Exercise and play so important.

Latest posts

Back