Should I put rabbits in a shed through winter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie

Reaction score
Currently, they're kept in a hutch outdoors that's within an outdoor pen. In daylight hours, the hutch is left open for them to run in and out as they please. I live in England and it's now getting pretty cold - it's currently 8am and the temperature is 1°C, and I opened the hutch this morning to find the water in their bowls half frozen, so I know it's definitely chilly out.

Their hutch has a metal roof that has small gaps at either end and I think on a cold windy night, this could definitely be a problem. It doesn't have a metal mesh front either, it's wood with strategic gaps for air flow, so I'm very apprehensious to use an insulating hutch cover in case they don't get enough air.

One of my rabbits Henry currently has a respiratory infection also (I suspect snuffles but the vet isn't certain), and his case isn't severe but his temperature did measure slightly below normal, so it's still crucial that I keep them as comfortable as possible.

I have a wooden shed that could provide some insulation (though I think it's still cold in there), plus protection from any cold winds. I'm wondering if I should buy a second hutch for the shed, and move them into there every night, but move them into their pen during daylight hours so they get the same amount of exercise? That shed has no windows either so I definitely couldn't keep them in there during the day even if I was to buy a run to go inside it.

I'm also considering insulating their current hutch instead, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that adequately, so any advice on that would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if I should do this or not in case the temperature change between the shed and the outdoors will be too much. I definitely can't bring them inside my house for that very reason, plus I have 3 extremely loud dogs. However, the shed is literally just wood and the temperature difference isn't even noticeable to me. Sorry if this is a trivial question, I just want to be careful because I know rabbits are very sensitive to changes in temperature. I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks so much! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to RO!

Rabbits handle cold well - wind/drafts are of more concern than the actual temperature. I'm not sure which option would be better, but one or the other should definitely happen. Hopefully someone with more experience will come offer advice (I have indoor rabbits in a very hot climate, heh).

Currently, they're kept in a hutch outdoors that's within an outdoor pen. In daylight hours, the hutch is left open for them to run in and out as they please. I live in England and it's now getting pretty cold - it's currently 8am and the temperature is 1°C, and I opened the hutch this morning to find the water in their bowls half frozen, so I know it's definitely chilly out.

Their hutch has a metal roof that has small gaps at either end and I think on a cold windy night, this could definitely be a problem. It doesn't have a metal mesh front either, it's wood with strategic gaps for air flow, so I'm very apprehensious to use an insulating hutch cover in case they don't get enough air.

One of my rabbits Henry currently has a respiratory infection also (I suspect snuffles but the vet isn't certain), and his case isn't severe but his temperature did measure slightly below normal, so it's still crucial that I keep them as comfortable as possible.

I have a wooden shed that could provide some insulation (though I think it's still cold in there), plus protection from any cold winds. I'm wondering if I should buy a second hutch for the shed, and move them into there every night, but move them into their pen during daylight hours so they get the same amount of exercise? That shed has no windows either so I definitely couldn't keep them in there during the day even if I was to buy a run to go inside it.

I'm also considering insulating their current hutch instead, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that adequately, so any advice on that would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if I should do this or not in case the temperature change between the shed and the outdoors will be too much. I definitely can't bring them inside my house for that very reason, plus I have 3 extremely loud dogs. However, the shed is literally just wood and the temperature difference isn't even noticeable to me. Sorry if this is a trivial question, I just want to be careful because I know rabbits are very sensitive to changes in temperature. I'd really appreciate any advice, thanks so much! :)

I’m not sure which would be better however I’ve also seen these little almost hot water bottles but they are called cuddle pads for rabbits or something that keeps the warmth for up to 10 hours.
You could put one of this in the area they sleep in at night alternatively.

I would also just ensure there is lots of warm bedding for the rabbits even though it might be annoying to clean. Blankets/towels could also help and just take them to a local washing machine/dryer facility if you are worried about dirtying your machine

Welcome to RO!
Rabbits handle cold well - wind/drafts are of more concern than the actual temperature. /QUOTE]

Where I live, the winter gets cold here, and on a few occasions, the temperature has dropped to -20 F or -28.89 C. When I had outdoor rabbits, they had no problem with the cold. I provided them with plenty of straw or hay for bedding. Providing a heat source was not necessary. Bedding needs to be changed out often, as it gets soiled and needs to be kept dry. It is important that snow can not get in the hutch, because in the spring it turns to water, and wet rabbits get sick. Putting a tarp over drafty areas of the hutch would be plenty of protection, but I do not enclose the entire hutch with a tarp because ventilation is important. For water, I used heated dog bowls, and they work great if your hutch is in a place where they can be plugged into an electric outlet. Otherwise, you can just give your rabbits fresh water at least three times a day.

Snuffles is contagious, so if you can keep Henry in the house away from your other rabbits, that would be best for all. I had a rabbit like Henry before and his name was Honey. The vet did a culture test for snuffles, and the test results were inconclusive. Nothing I tried improved his condition, which Honey struggled with for two years until he died. That is when the vet told me that it had to be snuffles. If you take Henry in the house and he does improve, he will have to stay in the house until after the weather changes in the spring. Bringing him outside in the winter when he is not acclimated to the cold could prove to be fatal.

I wouldn’t recommend that you isolate the hutch. Sometimes it will back fire instead and become like a freezer.

Know few that it went wrong, myself never had the problem but I always had some heatinh source in the isolated area when I had it.

Myself have 2 outdoors bunnies. Better to let the bunnies stay and live in the hutch. Bunnies get thick winter fur and can handle cold really well.

My own bunnies often sleep out in the snow during the winter. They rather sleep in the snow than in the hutch

So sometimes I lock them in the hutch when it comes wet snow, so they won’t get wet fur.

If the shed and hutch differ too much, it might happen the bunnies won’t get winter fur which protect them from the cold.

Myself just change the water 3-5 times everyday, during winter. They get lukewarm water and you can put a ping pong ball in the water. It will make the water not being still and keep it from freezing too fast.

You only need one area in the hutch protected from the wind and filled with straw. Which the bunnies can take cover if they want to.

Myself already freezing a lot and it’s only 3 °C, but my outdoor bunnies enjoy that temperature.

Just chuckled at this. We just had a sudden drop in our daytime temps. I stepped outside but had to go back in for a sweater. It dropped to 21 C. :p

That’s perfect weather, not too hot or cold. Myself already walking around with winter clothes and it’s not under 0 C. I won’t survive this winter, going to be a shut in this time and snuggle up with my indoor bunny.

At least the outdoor bunnies love the temperature, specially the old lady. She’s more active during winter time than summer and will run around like crazy. While my indoor bunny snuggle up to the heating element or snuggle under a warm blanket. He hate cold and wet weather. I often use him as a heating pad for my hands during winter

Latest posts

Back